Menu

Someone explain Lalaloopsy dolls to me

My mom is getting my DD the one with the hair you can move around. It's still plastic, but the individual "hairs" are segmented so it can be "styled". I think it'll be great for her because she loves to "do hair" but doesn't actually have the fine motor skills to handle real doll hair so she instead turns it into a frustrating mess. I'm hoping Lalaloopsy will let her style the hair without me having to come help her detangle it every 5 seconds.

I am not getting this doll. Dd has mentioned wanting one but when I looked at them I was confised. They have no "real" hair to comb instead it is a plastic set hat. Can you get clothes for them? I only looked at WalMart so the pickens were slim. What is the draw for these dolls?

I don't know either, but my 6yo really, really wants one. There are some with "medusa hair" that is plastic curls that can move around, so at least you can do something with it. But of course my dd wants the one that is a "special edition" and doesn't do anything at all.

I think there are clothes, but I've never seen them in real life, just on amazon. Annika is getting one, but I really kind of hate it.

My girls love the little figure ones. Lots of little pieces to play with. My bil bought the oldest a large one with bendy hair for her birthday. Not fun! Never gets played with. Hair ties are cheap and fell apart very easily. The hair is not as easy to style as it appears she was frustrated that it didn't look like the pictures.. I think I'll talk to dd about putting it on eBay. She is suddenly really in to keeping money in her purse. The dolls are super cute buy my older two just don't like dolls. They are very top heavy too. They do have extra outfits (pajamas I think) and a doll size couch at toyrus.

My dd (8) LOVES these dolls. She has four of them right now and is getting two more for Christmas. I have to admit I think they are pretty cute (although a few are not). There are outfits and I have found several different ones. I will probably buy a couple more for Christmas. DD also has the mini Lalaloopsy dolls and she puts them in a Calico Critters doll house (perfect size).

I know some people have concern because they are all plastic, but if you look in the doll isle you will see that a lot are (ex. Little Mommy has several)

My mom is getting my DD the one with the hair you can move around. It's still plastic, but the individual "hairs" are segmented so it can be "styled". I think it'll be great for her because she loves to "do hair" but doesn't actually have the fine motor skills to handle real doll hair so she instead turns it into a frustrating mess. I'm hoping Lalaloopsy will let her style the hair without me having to come help her detangle it every 5 seconds.

That's the one my daughter is getting.... Lalaloopsy Silly Hair. I found the outfits at Toys R Us and Kmart if you want to see them in person.

I am not getting this doll. Dd has mentioned wanting one but when I looked at them I was confised. They have no "real" hair to comb instead it is a plastic set hat. Can you get clothes for them? I only looked at WalMart so the pickens were slim. What is the draw for these dolls?

They are scarey looking to me. However dd wanted one for her birthday her friend gave her one and then she got a "sister" doll from us. They do have clothes to got with them. My dd liked the one from her friend better, she loves playing with the hair. I brought back the one I gave her.

My kids know them as "the dolls that creep me out". I don't get the button eyes. To *me* they look like something out of a horror movie!

That's exactly why I'm not a fan ("hate" is probably too strong a word).

They remind me of the "other" family in Coraline.

Last year my DD got a 3ft Rapunzel doll for Christmas. It was the worst gift ever as it's head is heavy and it's eyes sort of shine when the light hits them just right. Let's just say it faces the wall ever since it scared my DH when he went to the bathroom one night! Also you can't brush the hair without pulling it out. Right now we have some sort of ball tangled in it's hair that I am too scared to even attempt to get out.

That being said, after the Rapunzel doll fiasco I have sworn off dolls with hair that can be brushed. The Loopsy dolls fit the bill and my DD loves them. But I have to admit that the ones with medusa hair creep me out.

They do have several outfits to choose from (we have a pink dress) and if you look on TRU they also have baby ones which, IMO are adorable.

My kids know them as "the dolls that creep me out". I don't get the button eyes. To *me* they look like something out of a horror movie!

That's exactly why I'm not a fan ("hate" is probably too strong a word).

They remind me of the "other" family in Coraline.

Soooooooo glad I'm not alone...

Hmmm.. maybe I should start another thread but this one gave me an idea. I never heard of Lalaloopsy before so I had to look them up after reading this thread. I see on their website they have some videos and a game world of some sort.

Anyway, from the website I think they look cute, but they reminded me of my desire to make my girls their own dolls. These look like what I had envisioned. However does anyone here have any experience making dolls? Something that looks like these, with button eyes, and yarn for hair. Soft body and limbs... Something they can cuddle with. That being said I have close to no "craftiness" when it comes to sewing machines. I suppose I could ask my mom to help me out... but does anyone know where I would even start? Would it be silly of me to attempt it for Christmas this late in the game?

Last year my DD got a 3ft Rapunzel doll for Christmas. It was the worst gift ever as it's head is heavy and it's eyes sort of shine when the light hits them just right. Let's just say it faces the wall ever since it scared my DH when he went to the bathroom one night!

I had to get rid of an electric Santa with a moving head because I couldn't stand the way it seemed to keep staring at me! I wouldn't care for the Rapunzel doll at all.

Regards,

Kareni

. However does anyone here have any experience making dolls? Something that looks like these, with button eyes, and yarn for hair. Soft body and limbs... Something they can cuddle with. That being said I have close to no "craftiness" when it comes to sewing machines. I suppose I could ask my mom to help me out... but does anyone know where I would even start? Would it be silly of me to attempt it for Christmas this late in the game?

Look for Waldorf doll patterns. The first one will be painful to make, the second will run up much easier, especially with your mum to help. :) And yes, if you can send the kids out with your hubby over the weekend and head to your mum's, you could get them done by Christmas. I'd stitch on eyes instead of using buttons. Button eyes are creepy!

:)

Rosie

Look for Waldorf doll patterns. The first one will be painful to make, the second will run up much easier, especially with your mum to help. :) And yes, if you can send the kids out with your hubby over the weekend and head to your mum's, you could get them done by Christmas. I'd stitch on eyes instead of using buttons. Button eyes are creepy!

:)

Rosie

Wow thanks! I hadn't heard of those before.