Menu

Need recommendation for funny book.....

ABQmom

The Magic Pudding by Norman Lindsay. IMHO, there is no funnier read aloud. I've linked to a version with a single, extraneous racial ephithet removed. Dodo Press has a paperback edition, but there are so many typos in their books that I would recommend against it.

"Tom Sawyer"--very dry humor, QUITE funny social commentary.

"Ben And Me"--the premise of this book is that it is written by a mouse who was the brains behind all of Ben Franklin's achievements. Very funny.

"Cheaper by the Dozen"--my 11 yo DD thinks that this is the funniest book she has ever read.

Here's our list of funny, fun favorites (we have two boys):

- The Book of Dragons (Nesbit) -- 7 short stories; very fun and creative

- The Father Christmas Letters (Tolkien)

- Farmer Giles of Ham(Tolkien) -- short story

- The Ordinary Princess (Kaye)

- In the Year of the Boar and Jackie Robinson (Lord)

- The Best Christmas Pageant Ever (Robinson)

- Half Magic; Magic by the Lake, Knight's Castle; Time Garden (Eager)

- Holes (Sachar)

- The Whipping Boy (Fleischman)

- McBroom's Wonderful One-Acre Farm (Fleischman)

- Just So Stories (Kipling)

- By the Great Horn Spoon (Fleischman)

- Trumpet of the Swan (White)

- Ben and I (Lawson)

- The Reluctant Dragon (Grahame)

- Anne of Green Gables (Montgomery)

- All Creatures Great and Small (Herriot)

My 12yo ds wanted some fun reading this year so I interspersed Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle, Pippi Longstockings, and Amelia Bedelia over the year. He also did a Venn diagram comparing and contrasting these 3 silly books.

Last year when he wanted funny, he read Henry Huggins & Nate the Great.

As you see, I'm not afraid to give him young books. Though I admit that I seldom read such things aloud. I'm just not funny :o)

A very funny, very good book that my kids loved (5 & 8) was 26 Fairmount Avenue by Tomie dePaola. (Okay, my husband and I loved it as well) It's his autobiography and it's a chapter book, unlike his usual short story picture books. We listened to him narrating the audio book, but I'm sure it would be just as good as a read aloud.

I'm looking for a funny book to read to my dc this summer. We've been reading lots of historical fiction and are ready for something light and fun. My dc that would be listening in are 12, 10, and 7. TIA.

If you have no issues with magic or "wishes granted by a sand fairy" you would all enjoy E. Nesbit's books, Five Children and It and the sequel The Story of the Amulet. These are wonderful funny stories. :)