Menu

Where are you getting your best online shopping deals? (I'm curious-mine are in here)

Amazon is beating everyone else out for the things we want this year. AG stuff can't be had anywhere but online, my camera is cheapest at Amazon, I still need to buy a few books for stockings (Amazon), the Lodge grill pan for DH is cheapest at Amazon, etc. We're not in the market for any major electronics or other typical Black Friday stuff, so no big deals for us, really.

I'm :bigear: though!

I have scored big time here:

Zulily (www.zulily.com)

HauteLook (www.hautelook.com)

Gilt Groupe (www.gilt.com)

TaDa (www.tada.com)

On most of those sites, after the first purchase, shipping is free. I think that the only store I will likely visit is the American Girl store. Really!

Are those mostly referral sites (ala groupon/living social)?

The links she provided aren't referral links (though they do offer referral bonuses)--they're just the URLs. They're more like private sale sites--you join up and have access to whatever private sales are currently being offered. I think GiltGroup is like Groupon, but Zulily runs private sales on a selection of items directly from the manufacturer--usually on baby and children's items, but not always.

Ummmm, I'm a dunce -- what is a referral site? Is it one of those pop ups on my aol account -- if so, no, they aren't those. I received emails, checked out the sites with merchandise I liked, and I have purchased from those. If THAT is a 'referral site' (told you I'm a dunce), then I guess they are. But, I don't ever click on those 'iPod for free' or iPad for free' sites.

Amazon is beating everyone else out for the things we want this year. AG stuff can't be had anywhere but online, my camera is cheapest at Amazon, I still need to buy a few books for stockings (Amazon), the Lodge grill pan for DH is cheapest at Amazon, etc. We're not in the market for any major electronics or other typical Black Friday stuff, so no big deals for us, really.

I'm :bigear: though!

Hi, just an FYI...I recently bought the Lodge dutch oven from Amazon and it was a mess. It had tiny rust spots on the underside of the lid. I thought it was just a discoloration so I went ahead and used it...big mistake! A metallic taste and discoloration leached into the food and after I cleaned it, it was really rusted (I do know how to clean cast iron). I wanted to return it but with return shipping and only 80% refund, it wasn't worth it.

Carolyn

The links she provided aren't referral links (though they do offer referral bonuses)--they're just the URLs. They're more like private sale sites--you join up and have access to whatever private sales are currently being offered. I think GiltGroup is like Groupon, but Zulily runs private sales on a selection of items directly from the manufacturer--usually on baby and children's items, but not always.

Thanks -- that had been my understanding but then I wasn't so sure - not understanding what a referral site is anyway.:001_smile:

Hi, just an FYI...I recently bought the Lodge dutch oven from Amazon and it was a mess. It had tiny rust spots on the underside of the lid. I thought it was just a discoloration so I went ahead and used it...big mistake! A metallic taste and discoloration leached into the food and after I cleaned it, it was really rusted (I do know how to clean cast iron). I wanted to return it but with return shipping and only 80% refund, it wasn't worth it.

Carolyn

Oh no! That's really terrible! Your post just made me look around to see if I could get it locally, and both Walmart and Target have the one I'm looking for. It must be discontinued in favor of the other style or something? But it's way cheaper and has better reviews than the low-sided one, so I'm willing to drive to get my hands on it. That way, if there's a problem, I can return more easily. Thank you for the heads up!

Thanks -- that had been my understanding but then I wasn't so sure - not understanding what a referral site is anyway.:001_smile:

No problem :)

DH just told me that he heard on the radio that American Girl is selling out of alot of items and the store here in Tysons was packed today.

I went online as dd11 wants Kanani and I know the store is limiting Kanani-related items to three only per customer and I was able to get the dolls that have been requested, they are sold out of Kanani's accessories, sold out of the Kanani Shaved Ice Stand, but I was able to get two other small AG items that have been requested.

I was in their store on Monday -- I would have bought the stuff I needed if I had truly thought this stuff would have sold out.

Off to find my Craigslist AG contact.

DH just told me that he heard on the radio that American Girl is selling out of alot of items and the store here in Tysons was packed today.

I went online as dd11 wants Kanani and I know the store is limiting Kanani-related items to three only per customer and I was able to get the dolls that have been requested, they are sold out of Kanani's accessories, sold out of the Kanani Shaved Ice Stand, but I was able to get two other small AG items that have been requested.

I was in their store on Monday -- I would have bought the stuff I needed if I had truly thought this stuff would have sold out.

Off to find my Craigslist AG contact.

Aw crud. Thanks for the heads up!

I don't know about today, but yesterday Kohl's had all their Black Friday deals available online, including free shipping on orders over $50, coupon codes available for an additional 20% off Black Friday prices, and $15 Kohl's cash for every $50 spent.

I ended up with $80 boots for $24, a $80 pyrex glass storage set for $14, and several other steals. I also have $30 worth of Kohl's cash to use next week. :)

I cannot believe I missed Kanani's shaved ice stand.

:grouphug::grouphug:Mariann. That stinks. It's been sold out online for a while now. Their free shipping promo ended Nov. 23 and it was gone then. :( I'm surprised (and glad for you!) that the doll is still available.

My girls are eagerly awaiting who the next doll of the year will be. :D

:grouphug::grouphug:Mariann. That stinks. It's been sold out online for a while now. Their free shipping promo ended Nov. 23 and it was gone then. :( I'm surprised (and glad for you!) that the doll is still available.

My girls are eagerly awaiting who the next doll of the year will be. :D

They had the ice stand in the store on Monday -- I picked it up and I put it down. :banghead: Fortunately, I DO learn from my mistakes -- THAT won't happen again -- I, too, am glad I was able to get the doll -- last year, on Christmas Eve, dh and I met a lovely young woman (really) in a parking lot 10 minutes from our house at 9am and bought all of our AG stuff -- I am searching my AOL email book for her right now.:D

And, now I know NOT to wait till November for the doll of the year stuff.

Guest Pumpkin baby

Mariann,

I am also desperately trying to make my little girls Christmas by finding Kanani's Shaved Ice Stand. Do you think if you find your contact you could ask if she has any for sale and pass along her info to me? I'm so sad that this item sold out! I had ordered one and it was on back order, however in the meantime my credit card was stolen so I was issued a new number, I didn't even think to update that with American Girl and when the item came in and they went to charge my card to ship it, it was denied b/c the last eight digits changed. By the time I received an email notification and called the item was sold out (probably due to the free shipping promo). I feel like I'm at such a loss! It's the one thing my little girls desperately wanted and I can't afford to purchase it on eBay :(. If you can help in any way I'd be so grateful. Please let me know either was so I don't hold out hope.

Thanks!

Michelle

Mariann,

I am also desperately trying to make my little girls Christmas by finding Kanani's Shaved Ice Stand. Do you think if you find your contact you could ask if she has any for sale and pass along her info to me? I'm so sad that this item sold out! I had ordered one and it was on back order, however in the meantime my credit card was stolen so I was issued a new number, I didn't even think to update that with American Girl and when the item came in and they went to charge my card to ship it, it was denied b/c the last eight digits changed. By the time I received an email notification and called the item was sold out (probably due to the free shipping promo). I feel like I'm at such a loss! It's the one thing my little girls desperately wanted and I can't afford to purchase it on eBay :(. If you can help in any way I'd be so grateful. Please let me know either was so I don't hold out hope.

Thanks!

Michelle

My contact doesn't have any ice stands -- first thing i asked her. It's just not going to happen here at our house. :(

I don't know about today, but yesterday Kohl's had all their Black Friday deals available online, including free shipping on orders over $50, coupon codes available for an additional 20% off Black Friday prices, and $15 Kohl's cash for every $50 spent.

I ended up with $80 boots for $24, a $80 pyrex glass storage set for $14, and several other steals. I also have $30 worth of Kohl's cash to use next week. :)

:iagree:

Kohl's this year was hands-down best if they had what you were looking for - I picked up a lot of things we needed and a bunch of gifts.....checking between Kohl's and Amazon to be sure the price was better at Kohl's (in some cases it wasn't, even with the discounts).....and, bonus (in addition to the Kohl's cash) is if you're on Fat Wallet, with Kohl's you also are getting cash back!

I grabbed the pyrex from Kohl's too - awesome deal!