Menu

Just sad.

Dh is outside teaching a young man how to do brakes on his car. This young man is the son of our friend who died six months ago. DH has been mentoring him in such things and I am glad, but it makes me sad that he has to, KWIM?

These past six months have been really hard. I was thinking the other day about when you view a body at a funeral, and you think the most terrifying thing would be for them to pop up out of the casket and say, "Just kidding!" Nope, the nightmare is that they don't.:(

I'm so glad your husband can do that for him. What a generous man. My husband was hit with a massive stroke last year and left brain damaged. He cannot even speak. There were so many more things he was planning to do with our children still, so many more things to teach them... Maybe he will recover enough to do so again someday, maybe not. In the meantime, I'm so thankful for people like your husband. Thank you.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Just recently we had a friend pass away (the Mom, the Dad had passed away when the twins were just under a year) and now 4 children, 3 boys and 1 girl, ages 12 down to 8 have no Mom or Dad. It is heartbreaking:crying:

It is wonderful that your husband is taking the time with this young man, keep up the good work:grouphug:

What your dh is doing will make a difference. My dh lost his father at a young age. He had few people showing him how to grow up. He really mourns that, and the fact someone didn't teach him certain things. He's learned a lot on his own, sometimes the hard way. His younger brother had "big brother" from the Big brother program that he/we still keep in touch with on a regular basis.

Encourage your dh to be a persistent mentor. It's not just a 12yo or a 16yo or a 19yo that needs a male figure who is actively caring for him. He'll need one (or more!) when he's 30 and 50 as well. I'm a 'fake mom' (her words) to a 19yo who lost her mom 10 years ago. I consider her my dd (without the college and wedding costs) for life.

Another shout out for crunchymountainpapa! I think it's wonderful your dh is so caring. I'm so sorry the young man lost his father and you and your dh lost your close friend. :grouphug:

I'm so glad your husband can do that for him. What a generous man. My husband was hit with a massive stroke last year and left brain damaged. He cannot even speak. There were so many more things he was planning to do with our children still, so many more things to teach them... Maybe he will recover enough to do so again someday, maybe not. In the meantime, I'm so thankful for people like your husband. Thank you.

I'm so sorry. My dad had a stroke when he was 45. I was 19 and already married. But, my sisters were 13, 12 and 7. I know there's a lot that he missed out on and they missed out on. :grouphug: :crying: :grouphug: