Menu

How do you make black beans and rice?

Ds really wants black beans and rice for dinner. I've got a pot of beans quick soaking right now, going to put them in the crockpot in a bit.

How do you flavor your beans? In the past I've cooked them with onion, cumin, bay leaf, and a whole head of unpeeled garlic (removed before eating, of course.)

Think I could toss in a whole, unchopped jalapeno without it getting too spicy for the little ones?

Anything else? I just want something with a little more flavor than plain old beans!

I do about the same as you, but I add a beef or ham stew bone to give it more flavor. Also, a little Mexican oregano goes well with the other flavors you listed. The most important thing though - after you soak bring it to a roiling boil again, boil for 2 minutes, then dump the water and start fresh in the crockpot. This will greatly reduce the gas caused by eating the beans.

For a slightly different flavor, I sometimes add curry powder. It changes it from the classic southern/texmex flavor though. I also sometimes cut and fry up a keilbasa, and fry the onion in a the leftover grease. I set the meat aside until the end and add it back in just to warm through. These are both "bean heresy", I know, but it does liven up the flavor and make things taste new. Oregano goes well in a standard black

beans/cumin/onion/garlic mix.

Mine is similar to yours except I mince the garlic so it stays in. I also toss in a green or red pepper if I have one on hand, and I always add oregano. I sometimes use chicken broth instead of water, or sometimes I put some ham in it. It's not exactly the same every time I make it.

The jalapeno might not too spicy for the kids if you remove most of the ribs and seeds. That's where most of the heat is.

I'm too lazy to retrieve my cookbook, but I think I can remember it, lol.

I saute some minced garlic and maybe half a diced onion in some evoo. Then I add a can of black beans, a can of diced tomatos (the mexican flavored ones), and half a cup of salsa. Let it simmer for ten minutes or so. For each serving, pour some over cooked brown rice, then sprinkle with shredded cheese and raw onion.

I've tried using fresh tomato and dried beans, but it didn't turn out as well. I do use organic tomatos and beans.

I put traditional Cuban sofrito in mine, which is basically tomato, green pepper, onion, garlic, and cilantro.

Yum. Would you share how you do this?

The sofrito that we make has bacon, onion, garlic and green pepper. It's yummy too, but I'd love to learn a new way to make sofrito!

I dice a red onion and a bell pepper (whatever colors I have) and cook those in a little olive oil. I add the beans along with salt, pepper, oregano and a bay leaf. I let them cook together a bit, then I add white wine, chicken broth or a margarita (yes, with tequila in it). Let it simmer down for about 15 to 20 minutes, then fish out the bay leaf.

I make them with tostones (savory plantains, Alton Brown has a good recipe) and plain white rice. Sour cream and salsa are served on the side.

I'm lazy and the only ones who like beans and rice are ds and me. I just mix about 3 cups of cooked black beans with a jar of salsa, some cumin, oregano, chili powder, salt and pepper, cover it and bake it at 350 for about 30 min. Then I uncover it, load it with shredded cheese, put it back in the oven for about 10 more minutes, and serve it over cooked brown rice.

I'm open to better ways :) (although, it tastes really good!)

Yum. Would you share how you do this?

The sofrito that we make has bacon, onion, garlic and green pepper. It's yummy too, but I'd love to learn a new way to make sofrito!

Bacon - mmm. I think adding tomato is really for moros y cristianos or yellow rice, but at some point I started adding it to our regular black beans. Everybody liked it, so I kept doing it. And I don't know why I said cilantro - I don't think I've ever added cilantro. I use cumin. :tongue_smilie: Anyway, mine probably starts the same as yours but with olive oil instead of bacon. An onion or two, a green pepper, lots of garlic, finely chopped and sauteed in olive oil. Then at the end, stir in a tsp or so of cumin, a tbsp or so of cider or white wine vinegar, maybe some oregano, and a spoonful of tomato paste. I really love the smell of sofrito cooking. So yummy.

Black beans and rice is our go-to meal for days when momma forgets about dinner until 5:30. :confused:

1. Open a can of Goya black bean soup and heat without adding anything at all

2. Pour over cooked rice

3. Pretend it took lots of effort ;)