Menu

Disney - resort for a larger (6) family.

Suites at All star music are the least expensive but then you can with the Yacht Club, Saratoga Zsprings, Key West and several of the higher end resorts.

You can get a room at Port Orleans Riverside for 5, which is what we are doing.

I just found the Saratoga Springs Villas. They look great!

When we go, they will be 9,7,5, and just turning 3.

If you can go before your little turns 3, you can stay in one room at POR. If not, you'd need two rooms there.

I know some of the nicer resorts have suites that sleep six, but since we're never in the room, we never opt to pay that much for it! Now when we go, we stay off property in a three bedroom condo.

Are you set on staying on property? Because if you are willing to stay off property, you could get a whole 4 bedroom house for around $900-1200 for the week (depending on when you are going)

If you only want to stay on property, there are the Treehouse Villas which are part of Saratoga Springs, the family suites at the value resorts, and 2 and 3 bedroom villas at any of the deluxe resorts, though they are really pricey!

PM me if you want, I have been to Disney 14 times and would love to give you some tips! :001_smile:

Are you set on staying on property? Because if you are willing to stay off property, you could get a whole 4 bedroom house for around $900-1200 for the week (depending on when you are going)

If you only want to stay on property, there are the Treehouse Villas which are part of Saratoga Springs, the family suites at the value resorts, and 2 and 3 bedroom villas at any of the deluxe resorts, though they are really pricey!

PM me if you want, I have been to Disney 14 times and would love to give you some tips! :001_smile:

We do want to stay on property because I don't want to deal with 4 car seats on the plane. If we take the Disney shuttle bus to the resort, we will only have to haul one carseat through the airport (for my 2 year old). Everyone else can safely sit in the regular plane seat.

My husband feels like if we are going to stay off site, we should just drive (24 hours on the road), which I do NOT want to do.

I so would LOVE some tips. Love them. I am totally clueless.

If the youngest has turned three when you start the trip, I think the cheapest on property would be two rooms at a value (which is a little less than a family suite at All Star Music). If s/he hasn't turned three yet (they go by how old the kid is on the first day of the trip) Port Orleans Riverside will be a little cheaper...but also more cramped, of course.

Your other options (with all kids over 3) are Fort Wilderness cabins or a villa...either direct from Disney or (much cheaper) renting points. If the youngest is under three, most of the deluxes are also a possibility.

If the youngest has turned three when you start the trip, I think the cheapest on property would be two rooms at a value (which is a little less than a family suite at All Star Music). If s/he hasn't turned three yet (they go by how old the kid is on the first day of the trip) Port Orleans Riverside will be a little cheaper...but also more cramped, of course.

Your other options (with all kids over 3) are Fort Wilderness cabins or a villa...either direct from Disney or (much cheaper) renting points. If the youngest is under three, most of the deluxes are also a possibility.

Can you explain renting point to me, please? I read that term some place else, but I don't know what that means.

Although we'd like to save money, of course, this is a splurge vacation, so going the very cheapest route isn't necessary.

All-Star Music family suites, Art of Animation family suites (brand new resort, opening this June), Fort Wildnerness cabins (though you will have only one bathroom in those...however, you do get a full-size kitchen), or any Deluxe resort (you can rent a cot with your kids being as little as they are). We have a family of 5 and we get two rooms at Pop Century (connecting...not guaranteed connecting, but Disney has always done it for us).

Can you explain renting point to me, please? I read that term some place else, but I don't know what that means.

Although we'd like to save money, of course, this is a splurge vacation, so going the very cheapest route isn't necessary.

Here's an FAQ that I'm sure can explain it better than I can:

http://www.wdwinfo.com/disney-vacation-club/RentTrade-FAQ.htm

Basically, DVC is Disney's timeshare system...when the owners can't or don't want to use all their points in a year (you use a certain number of points per night to rent your villa) they rent them out on the private market. I haven't done it myself, but I have a friend who has a couple of times with good results.

Here's an FAQ that I'm sure can explain it better than I can:

http://www.wdwinfo.com/disney-vacation-club/RentTrade-FAQ.htm

Basically, DVC is Disney's timeshare system...when the owners can't or don't want to use all their points in a year (you use a certain number of points per night to rent your villa) they rent them out on the private market. I haven't done it myself, but I have a friend who has a couple of times with good results.

Thank you!

I just looked them up and they look really nice! Did you miss having a lobby to walk into? And, is the outdoor area here themed in any way?

A lobby lover. :D I admit it. I so enjoy walking into a beautiful hotel. The Wilderness Cabins have a log cabin -type check in area, with rocking chairs on a porch. It is Wilderness themed. It's in the woods. It seems a million miles away from Downtown Disney (it's not). No plastic cactus or anything. Very 'natural'. There is a small grocery store.

They cabins are nice, the area is quiet. (Sometimes the wafting scent of bus exhaust at the various loading areas did throw me, since it's 'the woods'. lol) The cabins all have decks with a picnic table and a charcoal grill (maybe they have switched to propane now? ) Do you want to grill your own steaks and portabella burgers on vacation is the question. We did a couple of times, and I rather enjoyed it. Inside there is a full kitchen, a small bedroom with a double (maybe it was queen?) bed and bunk beds. In the living /kitchen area there is a pull out sofa bed, and another small cot thingy. (It's been about 9 years since I was there). When you're on the deck, it feels private, as the parking spaces for each cabin are on the side opposite the decks.

The WC area itself is large. It doesn't ‘feel’ like WDW. It feels like 'camping' in a really nice cabin with private hot water showers, a good kitchen, full fridge etc. With hotel service. WDW services the cabins as they would any hotel room. They tidy the kitchen, run the dishwasher if you forget, clean the sink, wipe down the stove area, make the beds, bring clean towels etc.

You can rent golf carts to get around (which the kids adored). There are several pools, horses & trial ride, a petting zoo (goats and such), and a sing-along /'smores fire pit area with Chip & Dale (or there was). Kids also loved that. You can bring your own s'mores items, or you can buy them there at the pit. You can take the buses to all attractions and you can take the ferry to some from the waterfront area. Watercraft rental is available etc.

It's not 'fancy', but I think it is a great alternative for the larger family, or a family who likes things a bit more quiet.

We rented two cabins when we stayed as there were 12 of us, plus my youngest who was too young to count as a whole person, so 13 bodies total. The buses and ferries made it so easy for all of us to travel together to the attractions. My dad is an early riser, so he could get up and walk around, get a some breakfast (where, I do not recall-- but somewhere in the Wilderness area). The teens were happy, the old guy was happy, the little kids liked the trail ride etc.

I thought I would hate it (I made all the arrangements, since that's what I do in my extended family. 'Call LL', is their mantra, I think. ) but it turned out to be perfect, and I would stay there again with a large group of us. If it were just dh & I together? No. lol I would not call it 'romantic'.

Edited by LibraryLover

Here's another vote for the cabins at Fort Wilderness. We stayed there 2 years ago and thought it was great!

One nice thing was that we could take the ferry boat from the wilderness area over to Magic Kingdom. The kids loved that. They also really enjoyed the campfire & movie nights with Chip & Dale (no extra charge).

Hubby & I stayed in the living room on the pull-down bed and it was surprisingly comfy.

Disney will also do your dishes while you're gone for the day - woohoo!

We have stayed at Contemporary and it had 2 queen beds, a day bed (twin) and they brought in a crib. There are only 4 of us, so each of us got our own beds!

Nothing beats the Contemporary for ease when you have little kids, imo. It's a 2 minute walk to Magic Kindgom. We stayed there many years ago with a 5, 2, and 1 year old. My memory is the room limit there is 4, and the babies didn't count. I don't think they allow 6 to a room, even if you fit.

You can do 5 and a baby at the Poly.

Edited by LibraryLover

Since we just had #3, we're going to have to look into staying off site when we want to use a hotel. We go often and I just cannot justify paying hundreds of dollars per night to stay on-site if we want to continue going often. If this is a once in a lifetime (or once every so often) trip, then staying in a more expensive, on site hotel may be do-able. We usually stay in a value, but it's going to be cramped (and difficult to get baby to sleep) in a one room place.

We're going in Febryary and will be staying in the Beuna Vista Suites. I found a good deal through Dreams Unlimited.

When we do want to stay onsite, we will do so in our camper in Fort Wilderness. But we can't do that in February....we may freeze LOL. We stay in our camper at Disney each October and have a blast. Fort Wilderness is an AWESOME place with tons of things to do so if you can swing staying in the Fort Wilderness cabins then that would be fun!

A lobby lover. :D I admit it. I so enjoy walking into a beautiful hotel. The Wilderness Cabins have a log cabin -type check in area, with rocking chairs on a porch. It is Wilderness themed. It's in the woods. It seems a million miles away from Downtown Disney (it's not). No plastic cactus or anything. Very 'natural'. There is a small grocery store.

They cabins are nice, the area is quiet. (Sometimes the wafting scent of bus exhaust at the various loading areas did throw me, since it's 'the woods'. lol) The cabins all have decks with a picnic table and a charcoal grill (maybe they have switched to propane now? ) Do you want to grill your own steaks and portabella burgers on vacation is the question. We did a couple of times, and I rather enjoyed it. Inside there is a full kitchen, a small bedroom with a double (maybe it was queen?) bed and bunk beds. In the living /kitchen area there is a pull out sofa bed, and another small cot thingy. (It's been about 9 years since I was there). When you're on the deck, it feels private, as the parking spaces for each cabin are on the side opposite the decks.

The WC area itself is large. It doesn't ‘feel’ like WDW. It feels like 'camping' in a really nice cabin with private hot water showers, a good kitchen, full fridge etc. With hotel service. WDW services the cabins as they would any hotel room. They tidy the kitchen, run the dishwasher if you forget, clean the sink, wipe down the stove area, make the beds, bring clean towels etc.

You can rent golf carts to get around (which the kids adored). There are several pools, horses & trial ride, a petting zoo (goats and such), and a sing-along /'smores fire pit area with Chip & Dale (or there was). Kids also loved that. You can bring your own s'mores items, or you can buy them there at the pit. You can take the buses to all attractions and you can take the ferry to some from the waterfront area. Watercraft rental is available etc.

It's not 'fancy', but I think it is a great alternative for the larger family, or a family who likes things a bit more quiet.

We rented two cabins when we stayed as there were 12 of us, plus my youngest who was too young to count as a whole person, so 13 bodies total. The buses and ferries made it so easy for all of us to travel together to the attractions. My dad is an early riser, so he could get up and walk around, get a some breakfast (where, I do not recall-- but somewhere in the Wilderness area). The teens were happy, the old guy was happy, the little kids liked the trail ride etc.

I thought I would hate it (I made all the arrangements, since that's what I do in my extended family. 'Call LL', is their mantra, I think. ) but it turned out to be perfect, and I would stay there again with a large group of us. If it were just dh & I together? No. lol I would not call it 'romantic'.

Thank you! I am also a lobby lover! I just love to walk in and soak up the ambience - not just at Disney - any hotel, really. This place sounds really nice for a family though. I just asked for a quote from DU for January (free dining baby!!!). We'll see . . .

Thank you!

Here's another vote for the cabins at Fort Wilderness. We stayed there 2 years ago and thought it was great!

One nice thing was that we could take the ferry boat from the wilderness area over to Magic Kingdom. The kids loved that. They also really enjoyed the campfire & movie nights with Chip & Dale (no extra charge).

Hubby & I stayed in the living room on the pull-down bed and it was surprisingly comfy.

Disney will also do your dishes while you're gone for the day - woohoo!

I highly recommend renting points from a Disney Vacation Club member and getting a 1 or 2 bedroom villa at Disney's Old Key West (or any of the other ones for that matter).

You'd be amazed at how affordable it can be :)

So how do rent the points? Is there a website?

Thank you!

What about the Fort Wilderness cabins? I have not stayed there, but I believe they do sleep 6.

I was going to suggest the Fort Wilderness cabins also (they sleep six and have kitchens). To get from there to the Magic Kingdom is a boat ride away! Plus they have a lot of activities on site too for kids.

rent a house on vrbo.com you will get a great rate, tons of room and probably a heated pool near disney. it will be off the grounds, but so worth it. we were okay in the hotels when our two kids were small, but quickly grew out of it due to size etc... we have rented on vrbo,com a ton of times and have always been very pleased with the awesome places to stay.

rent a house on vrbo.com you will get a great rate, tons of room and probably a heated pool near disney. it will be off the grounds, but so worth it. we were okay in the hotels when our two kids were small, but quickly grew out of it due to size etc... we have rented on vrbo,com a ton of times and have always been very pleased with the awesome places to stay.

We do VBRO all the time, but for this trip, we want to avoid carseats and renting a vehicle, so we are staying on site.

I would consider two rooms at a value resort. I don't remember the details, but when I checked into the rooms that sleep 6, I didn't like the arrangements - I think some of the beds were sofa sleepers and such. You can get adjoining rooms at the value resorts.

Apparently Disney no longer guarantees adjoining rooms, so you might get rooms on two different floors.

Apparently Disney no longer guarantees adjoining rooms, so you might get rooms on two different floors.

They don't guarantee it, but I've never had them NOT do it. And we have kids over 18, who certainly don't need to be in a connecting room.

However, Saratoga is a lovely resort. You'll enjoy it there.

I don't think they ever guaranteed it, but we're 5 for 5. I think you pretty much get it if you're not last minute.

This year should be interesting - we're requesting 4 rooms close together!