Menu

sofa beds

We have room for a guest bed, but dh wants either a sofa bed or futon bed so we can use it daily. makes sense. However, we spent hours looking for a sofa or futon bed last night and all were awful.

My mom just bought one in her area that has curved bars so it doesn't hit your back like the older styles. Of course none of my local stores sell this kind of sofa bed.

do you have a sofa bed you use for guests? do they like it? Looking for names we can try to find in our area. And I don't want to spend 2k on this. Prefer 1k or less.

Our other option is a futon. We used to have an amazing futon mattress and I regret throwing it out now :-(

I would prefer a futon over a sofa bed. We had a nice futon for many years as our main living room seating. We even used it as our (dh and I) bed when we were remodeling our bedroom.

I would look for one that was at least 5 inches thick or so, with a sturdy wooden frame. We bought ours at a futon store, I don't remember the name of it. They had varying prices, from under $1000 to over $3000.

I have never liked any of the sofa beds. They just are not comfortable and the mattress is usually too thin.

We used to have a sofa bed that I thought was very comfortable, but all of our guests refused to even try and sleep on it. They would complain about how uncomfortable *all* sleeper sofas were, without even opening it up to look at. We finally gave it away last year. I don't remember the brand, but it was really nice. Hope your guests are more willing than ours were!

We have had two sofa beds over the past couple of decades. Both were brand name, expensive and comfortable innitially, usually more so if only one person was sleeping on them. Eventually we found that many guests preferred to put the mattress on the floor and sleep there. We do have a guest bedroom and the sofa sleeper was used only when necessary.

The other issue that happened to both is the support bar bent in the middle of the couch. We now have a sofa that is miserable to sit on. You end up wanting to hold onto the side of the sofa. It just kills my back.

DH has a bad back and he can't sit on it at all.....so he lays down.

(We are in the final stages of remodeling this house and once we update the electrical in that room, it gets new carpet and then new furniture..however it won't be this year.)

I don't like futons, they always feel so saggy and uncomfortable. Our sofa is a sofa bed , it has a normal fully sprung mattresses though, just the same as a normal bed. The mattress is like 2 singles joined with a piece of fabric so that they fold to the seat and back. To make it into a bed you tip the frame and lay the mattresses out flat next to each other with no gap because they are held together.

Sort of like this except on ours you can't see the metal work and it has ends.

Bean bag sofas/futons. Basically giant bean bags that can be shaped as you like. My boys would love that.

Of course, a lot of this depends on who your usual guests are. My in-laws are our usual guests. My MIL has limited movement. It doesn't matter that we have futons, she prefers to sleep on the couch so she has more to grab and pull herself up.

We bought a sleeper sofa at Lazy Boy that is fairly comfortable. They have an upgrade too that seems fantastic. We chose to not get the upgrade and to possibly use an air mattress on top of the lazy boy one since it will be cheaper and just as comfy as the upgrade. DH and I slept on an air mattress over the summer on a bed frame due to our move and it was quite comfy:D Our sleepr is just for when we get guests. I figure ds can sleep on it and offer his bed to guests or dh and I could sleep on it.

I haven't found ANY to be comfortable!

When we go on vacation my oldest likes to sleep on the sleeper sofa to have his own space.

He doesn't care.

I do. If DH and I need the sleeper sofa, we pull the mattress off and sleep on it on the floor as that is far more comfortable.

I would go with the day bed/trundle idea over a sleeper sofa.

Dawn

• 2 weeks later...

we have a sofa that pulls out into a bed but it's not very comfy--the mattress is thin and lumpy----it's not fancy-we got it at a local furniture store....we tried to move it from our downstairs "den" area where it had been to kiddo's room but it wouldn't fit down the hall so it's upstairs in our living room as an extra couch at the moment...I guess if we had company staying over which doesn't happen they might use it......