Menu

WWII movies that are appropriate for

U-571 is rated PG-13, but I let my oldest watch it (parents may want to preview).

Alas, it has very little connection to any actual history. Which is sad, because there is so much history that could have been covered.

Our favorite quote from when the movie was released was an interview with a former German U-boat commander, who said, "It is true that there was unrestricted submarine warfare in the Atlantic during the war." But that was the only positive thing he would say.

I wonder if there is a good documentary on U-505, which is an actual German submarine that was captured.

Twelve O'Clock High is a movie about the bombing campaign. It has been so long since I've seen it that I can't remember if there is anything objectionable.

Sink the Bismark, Enemy Below and Away All Boats were favorites of one of my commanding officers. (He used to show Enemy Below before anti-submarine exercises and require all of the officers who weren't on watch to come to the wardroom for popcorn and the movie.)

ETA: We watched The Great Raid a few weeks ago. It is based on the book Ghost Soldiers and was very good. But because it deals with the subject of Bataan Death March survivors in POW camps, there are some brutal scenes. We let all three of our boys watch it, but paused a couple times to explain a scene and let one or two others just go by without discussion (in the early scenes, to set the historical context of the raid to free prisoners of war, there is a gruesome execution by fire shown).

Edited by Sebastian (a lady)

Miracle at Midnight

Sophie Scholl: The Final Days

I would seriously watch Sophie Scholl before letting your daughter. It is a very powerful, emotionally charged movie. Movies don't bother me very much, but this one had me thinking and occasionally crying about it for days after. To me, what made it more powerful is that it is a German movie.

I'll just repeat movies that others have mentioned. We watched Tora, Tora, Tora Bridge over the River Kwai, The Great Escape as well as The Scarlet and the Black the year we were studying WWII.

I would not recommend Life is Beautiful to an 8th grade girl. The content is a bit adult and it is a very bittersweet ending. My husband (!) was devastated by the ending.

The Best Years of Our Lives is my favorite movie. It deals more with what happens to the troops when they come home than the war itself. It's about three hours. TCM shows it periodically; I don't know if the movie is on video.

This is a great movie to watch. I highly recommend it.

Father Goose

My daughter and I love this movie. :)

I would also recommend Von Ryan's Express. I use to watch this with my mom when I was younger, and I have such fond memories of it. It was so exciting!

LOVE Father Goose and Operation Petticoat (just love Cary Grant!)

I second most of the movies already mentioned:

Tora, Tora, Tora

The Great Escape

Bridge of the River Kwai (my 9yo son loves this movie)

Memphis Belle is outstanding

I think most movies made in the 40's and 50's about WW2 would be a good choice. NetFlix has a ton of them streaming.