Menu

I need a Latin that is straightforward/simple but not super difficult.

Enough

I am having a severe visceral dislike of LfCA. :tongue_smilie:

I *dread* opening it and starting a new lesson. I need a Latin curriculum that is not so, uh, BUSY. I can't follow the page- neither can DS- and the jumping from "textbook" to activity book to DVD really is too much.

I need SIMPLE. No cute conversations, no graphics, no DVDs, no crossword puzzles. :001_huh: "Activity books" are the bane of my and DS's existence!!!

BUT, we are completely new to Latin. I can't do anything super rigorous.

Any suggestions?

GSWL (Getting Started with Latin)

We are using that this year. It is straight-forward, easy to follow and a very gentle intro to Latin. One simple lesson every day - cumulative exercises.

:iagree: My dd now LOVES to do Latin! I think it's because it's so uncluttered, no cheesy activities, she can read and understand the instructions independently, and it's cumulative. She often begs to do 2 lessons!

I loved how cheap and easy it was to get!

We use and love LFC, so I don't have other recommendations. For now - drop the activity book. It's optional. One of my kids absolutely adored that thing, but the other would rather poke a spork in his eye. If the latter needed practice he just wrote the translation next to the clue and never filled in the crossword.

If you want some -plain- practice pages there is a free pdf on their website.

If you want something super-straight forward, go with GSWL. Expect to ask, "What next?" as soon as you guys are through it. It is hard to GSWL and then not be disappointed with the next curriculum down the line because GSWL is really put together well.

Latina Christiana is very straight forward. You can get the DVD to teach the lesson for you. There are no cutesy graphics or activity books. It is plain & simple to use. If it works for you, you'll know the "what next" question already because Memoria Press puts out the "Form" series that already has First Form, Second Form, & even a Beta version of Third Form. Eventually, there will be a Fourth Form.

Either one fits your description. Good luck!

Expect to ask, "What next?" as soon as you guys are through it. It is hard to GSWL and then not be disappointed with the next curriculum down the line because GSWL is really put together well.

I haven't used it so I know nothing about it, but William Linney does have his Linney's Latin class that he's working on to go after GSWL.

Tara

GSWL (Getting Started with Latin)

We are using that this year. It is straight-forward, easy to follow and a very gentle intro to Latin. One simple lesson every day - cumulative exercises.

+1 We LOVE this. Simple and straightforward. Even has supportive website that has each lesson discussed by the author (so you can hear the pronunciations).

If you want something super-straight forward, go with GSWL. Expect to ask, "What next?" as soon as you guys are through it. It is hard to GSWL and then not be disappointed with the next curriculum down the line because GSWL is really put together well.

Latina Christiana is very straight forward. You can get the DVD to teach the lesson for you. There are no cutesy graphics or activity books. It is plain & simple to use. If it works for you, you'll know the "what next" question already because Memoria Press puts out the "Form" series that already has First Form, Second Form, & even a Beta version of Third Form. Eventually, there will be a Fourth Form.

Either one fits your description. Good luck!

:iagree:

Dd moved on to Henle (which is why I'm waiting another year or so before I go back to GSWL for my boys). I did feel the approach of GSWL dovetailed perfectly with Henle. First Form definitely would be another option, but my understanding is that it doesn't have sufficient translation (a great strength of both GSWL and Henle), though maybe that could be added from elsewhere.