Menu

I'm Going Shopping...

This weekend, I'm going shopping to buy clothes for myself. This is a big deal for me-- I actually guilt myself out of buying new clothes. And then I get to the point where I am now-- living in yoga pants, my old concert t-shirts, and hoodies. It's not a pretty picture.

It's safe to say that I'm not exactly up on what's in... or even what's out there. I'm pretty short (5'4") and heavier than I like to admit. But I need to find a way to dress myself so that I am confident with what I'm wearing, and so that I look as good as I can right now.

I'm going to have about $300 to spend, and I need to buy a couple of new b00kshelves with that as well as a couple of outfits that are versatile-- like can be worn as every day clothes, but can also be dressed up a bit for church or when I need to look professional.

Wow, that's a tall order!

Any suggestions?

Edited by KristinaBreece

My biggest suggestion:

Have fun with it. Don't go out with a list of "I gotta get...find..." etc, b/c that just puts pressure on you and leaves you feeling frustrated and rushed.

Take your time, see what's out there, bring a friend. The world won't fall into the sun if you only buy some bOOk shelves, and a cute top. The stores won't vanish, you can always go again.

~Imp, who rushed shopping so badly that she came home with 2 left boots.

Go! No Guilt!!!!

:auto:

Also - there is something to spending a bit more for quality. I'll buy cheap workout clothes and t-shirts, but I've noticed that even the clothing at Target now (while cheap) falls apart very quickly and is made out of extremely thin fabric.

So - buy less, but buy foundational pieces that can be made to look different. Doesn't have to be black! Good jeans, fitted button shirts in neutral colors, scarves full of colors, maybe a dress or two that can be spiced up in different ways....

Edited by SailorMom

I am not particularly fashion forward but the one suggestion I have gotten that really helped was to pick a color scheme and stick with it. I chose black and blue. I try to buy everything in black, gray, navy and shades of blue so that it is all interchangeable (plus things that will look good with those colors).

Guest IdahoMtnMom

I used to be such an avid shopper for news clothes, but since my divorce, well I have to be practical and cheap, lol.

I still only wear certain brands... but I find them in good shape at garage sales and thrift stores here in town. Last week I got 3 Juicy Couture Velour pants and jacket/hoodie sets for $45 when they would have been over $600 new!I also find a lot of Prana, Free People, DKNY, Dolce and Gabbana, Bogner, North Face, Royal Robbin, Free Love, Gap, Old Navy, and Hard and Tall second hand.

I live in a casual place so if I had to buy new clothes and spend, say $240 I would buy.

1 pair of blue jeans

1 pair of neutral pants (black, tan, or gray)

4 fitted shirts (scoop or v'necks/2 short sleeved and 2 long sleeved))

2 button down shirts (white and another color)

2 lightweight sweaters

I think what I'm going to have to do is go try on a LOT of different things. I have no idea what will work with my body. I don't really have any IRL friends who live locally that pay any attention at all to clothes. Mostly my local friends are like me: Young, worn-out SAHMs. I have one friend who lives in her nurse's scrubs (despite being the most beautiful woman I've ever seen!) and my other local friend is all vintage tees and jeans/yoga pants. Which is basically what I've worn since high school, but I need to NOT look like I'm 18 anymore. So.... I guess I need to find a shopping friend!

Make sure you buy outfits, not just pieces. Try things on.

Wear good underwear when trying things on. Invest into foundational garments, don't forget to find at least 1-2 great pairs of shoes, and maybe a handbag. If you have the money add some new PJs, something comfy and cozy, just for you. Force yourself not to look at size, look at how well something fits your current body. You'll feel more confident in clothes that fit well instead of being bummed because you're not size ___(whatever) any longer.

TJ Maxx/Marshalls have some neat items. 300.00 could go a long way there.

I'm 5'4" and pear shaped. I try to stay with darker colors on the bottom, brighter colors on the top.

Dare yourself to try on things you'd never pick for yourself. You might be surprised.

Have fun.

My only piece of advice is to get the b00kshelves first - have someone measure you, if you're not absolutely sure of your size - and then wear one of the new ones while you do the rest of your shopping. I'm always amazed at how the same clothes fit differently with a properly installed b00kshelf!

Have you seen the missus smarty pants website? She has a paid service, but I *think* (it's been a long time since I've looked) that she has some (free) general advice for different body types as well.

Have fun!

Soooo, I decided to break this down into what will inevitably turn out to be several shopping trips. Today, I purchased b00kshelves and a few pairs of panties. WOW! I spent about $100 on underthings. :glare: The frugal part of me is still in shock. The other part of me realizes that if I could have, I would have dropped another $88 on the Spanx thing that I've decided I must have. It's like shortalls that go under your b00ks and smoothes out everything between your b00ks and your knees, if that makes any sense at all. Amazing thing!

ANYWAY. I think I did pretty well bargain-hunting AND getting quality things. For $112, I got 3 shelves and 7 new panties. The big shocker was my measurement. H. Dear me, I didn't think the girls were anything like that! No wonder I'm looking so dumpy-- I've been walking around falling out of DDs. :svengo:

As soon as I can round up a girlfriend to shop with, I'm hitting the shops again. Mission 2: Jeans and a casual top or 3. ;)

As soon as I can round up a girlfriend to shop with, I'm hitting the shops again. Mission 2: Jeans and a casual top or 3. ;)

Sounds like a great plan! A good house starts with a good foundation, now that you have that, other plans will be easier.

I do think it's wise to break up the trip. Shopping when exhausted or stressed is not good. Or in shock...:lol:

This is a great link. Thanks for sharing, Stacia. Off to read it in more depth later. :)

Dd and I love watching shows like Tim Gunn and What Not to Wear together. It's our bonding time. ;) I love going shopping with her, but alas, where we live, the choices are extremely limited.

Today, I purchased b00kshelves

Your plan is a great one and you're definitely on the right track. So happy for you. :D

You shouldn't feel any guilt about spending $$ on good quality and, most importantly, the right-fitting br@s. Every woman should have regular br@ fittings. :)

I'm enjoying this thread. Do please keep us updated.

I like buying from Land End when it goes on sale. Most of it is classic style and doesn't really go out. The stuff lasts along time. It doesn't stretch out of shape or anything.

I am trying to buy plain sweaters or shirts, ect. and than just adding a scarf or necklace to change the look.

I like to wear black bottoms with bright tops for winter.

Summer is where I need clothing for.