Menu

NPR is starting a back-seat book club (ages 9-14) -- first author is Neil Gaiman

A friend of mine (from another board & GoodReads) made me aware of the following: NPR is starting a 'backseat book club' for kids ages 9-14. The first book they are covering is The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman. You can listen to Neil Gaiman read the book in its entirety here. The dc & I listened to chapter 1 today & it's awesome to hear Gaiman reading it. The dc loved it (as I knew they would). We're looking forward to listening to the rest of the book, then tuning in for NPR's program w/ Neil Gaiman on Oct. 28.

Edited by Stacia

As I'm sure is the case with many of you, I have quite a good relationship with our Children's Librarian. Last year I asked her for some book recommendations.

She asked what kind of book he might be interested in? I said he has a really good sense of humor so "funny" books are always good.

Her eyes lit up, and she said I've got one you have to read. She marched us across the library and pulled Neil Gaiman's The Graveyard Book off the shelf and handed it to me. Then a look of concern crossed her face, and she asked if my son was "sensitive." Seemed a strange question, but I said, "not at all" and she seemed relieved.

Now anyone who has read this book will know why the next time I saw her I said, "If you think that book is "funny" then you have a very weird sense of humor." :D

We loved it BTW. Very well written. It is really a pleasure to find a young adult author who is so accomplished in his use of language.

But "funny" it ain't :tongue_smilie:

Bill (who wonders if it might give "sensitive types" nightmares?)

I read about book club on NPR's website.

I have a question about the book. I read the first chapter at the library and think the description of murderer walking around the house, hunting down the baby would freak out my 10yo dd. She is very sensitive. If I summarized that part for her, would the rest of the story be good? I had assumed I would just shelve the choice for a few years, but I keep hearing great things about the book.

Dd loves NPR, and would enjoy being "in their book club"!

As I'm sure is the case with many of you, I have quite a good relationship with our Children's Librarian. Last year I asked her for some book recommendations.

She asked what kind of book he might be interested in? I said he has a really good sense of humor so "funny" books are always good.

Her eyes lit up, and she said I've got one you have to read. She marched us across the library and pulled Neil Gaiman's The Graveyard Book off the shelf and handed it to me. Then a look of concern crossed her face, and she asked if my son was "sensitive." Seemed a strange question, but I said, "not at all" and she seemed relieved.

Now anyone who has read this book will know why the next time I saw her I said, "If you think that book is "funny" then you have a very weird sense of humor." :D

We loved it BTW. Very well written. It is really a pleasure to find a young adult author who is so accomplished in his use of language.

I love this book, but it will be a long time before I give it to my sensitive 5 year old son. He still has separation anxiety and the first chapter alone would definitely result in bad dreams and in him wanting to sleep with us.

I have a question about the book. I read the first chapter at the library and think the description of murderer walking around the house, hunting down the baby would freak out my 10yo dd. She is very sensitive. If I summarized that part for her, would the rest of the story be good? I had assumed I would just shelve the choice for a few years, but I keep hearing great things about the book.

I was actually already reading (& loving) this book before I heard about the NPR thing. I was reading it *for myself*, pretty much knowing/assuming neither of my kids would read it. Neither one likes creepy, scary stuff at all & something titled "The Graveyard Book" kind-of automatically puts it into that category. Both my dc are sensitive to stuff like that, esp. my 10yo ds (though he is less sensitive w/ movies & video games :tongue_smilie:).

I agree w/ you about the first part being a bit creepy/scary for sensitive kids. However, after you're past that, it's really just a great story & nothing really scary, imo. I did exactly what you mentioned -- I told my kids about the beginning being scariest (at least so far as I have read, which is about 2/3 of the way through the book) & what it was. Knowing about it ahead of time made it ok & both dc thoroughly enjoyed listening to the author read the first chapter & are looking forward to listening to the rest.

Sounds like you're in a similar situation to what I was & by explaining the beginning ahead of time, my dc were fine w/ it.

I read about book club on NPR's website.

Dd loves NPR, and would enjoy being "in their book club"!

My 9 year old daughter is the sensitive one in our family. I told her what was going to happen in the first chapter. Her anticipation is often worse than her actual fear, but she ended up being fine with it.

I read it before putting it on one of the house bookcases and thought it was a great read. I just asked my kids who have read it (age 12-16). The just turned 12 year old had no issues and says it would probably be okay for our 9 year old, but he told younger brother not to read it aloud to the 7 year old or youngers ones.

And yeah, great book, but not a funny book. All the kids that have read it looked at me like :001_huh: when I asked if they thought it was a funny book.

I would like us to listen to it, but you can only stream it, not download it. I don't have a smartphone or a data plan where we could listen to it in the car. I just put a request in at our library for the CD's. I should be able to have them by Thur. I think my kids will enjoy the book. We are in the car a lot, so we will hear it all in a week.

Can someone who's read it tell me, is the scariness comparable to say the unfortunate events series scary? Is it graphic/gory?

Hmmm. The incest craving uncle was worse to me.

I would say The Graveyard Book is more sophisticated writing but not really more gory.

There is speculation that there is a vampire and certainly a werewolf (both good guys) and ghouls and such. And people are killed.

Edited by Martha

Stacia, thank you for this :D. Dd wants me to order it for her. I know she'll love it. Also, based on all the glowing reviews here - Mrs. Mungo, Spy Car, etc. - I know it's something that she will like.

2 Questions:

1. Should I have her read it herself OR should we do this as a read-aloud? Dd loved the Lemony Snicket books. I started those off as read-alouds, but ds and I could not stand them. Are these similar?

2. Is there a link as to how often the NPR Book Club will change, basically to know what their next book is? Do they have an actual link for their kids book club? The link posted here seems to only be for this book.

Thank you. :)

I'd do it as a read-aloud. I hated the Snicket books(and movie) but we all really enjoyed this one. Hey, it's Neil Gaiman, how could he be anything but superb??

:iagree:

I don't know if you've looked at one of the links I gave, but you can watch/listen to Neil Gaiman himself reading the entire book. Each chapter runs approx. 45 min. - 1 hour. I read the book myself, but the dc & I are also watching/listening to Neil Gaiman read the book. I love listening to him (& I am not a person who likes audio books). My sensitive ds even loves it so far. Neither of my dc ever read Lemony Snicket, so I can't really compare. But, I tried to read the first LS book a few years ago & didn't really like it.

FYI, here's the NPR main page about the book club: http://www.npr.org/series/141728003/nprs-back-seat-book-club

Looks like the next book is The Phatom Tollbooth.

My kids laughed every time it read, "...said the 33rd president of the United States." :D

They are finding the book kind of funny.

My kids heard the interview with me the other night and were so upset that they missed the October club. They can't wait to read the Phantom Toolbooth for November (they want to do it as a RA, but it seems like it might not be good for that... too many homophones). I've put Gaiman's book on hold for me to read.

I'd do it as a read-aloud. I hated the Snicket books(and movie) but we all really enjoyed this one. Hey, it's Neil Gaiman, how could he be anything but superb??

Thanks. Never read Neil Gaiman, so it's good to know. :)

I read the book myself, but the dc & I are also watching/listening to Neil Gaiman read the book. I love listening to him (& I am not a person who likes audio books).

Thanks, Stacia.

It's unlikely that we'll find time to listen to it, but I haven't ruled that out yet. May do so.

Thanks for the link.

One of our absolute favorite books. It is a WONDERFUL read aloud.

Oh dear. We tried to read this a year or so ago. Didn't care for it too much and I think we gave it away. I hope not. I'd like to try it again.