Menu

Identity Stolen Can't decide if I should laugh or cry

We had a "minor" theft from our bank account. Someone used $219 to purchase books at the book depository. I can't help but find their choice of where to spend the money a bit amusing...

Yes, I am annoyed by the way. Its just one of those laugh or cry situations.

Just curious as to how they got the money out of your bank account. That is so scary! I am paranoid everytime I used my bank card to get gas, but I keep on doing it. I do use it as credit instead of debit, which I think is supposed to be safer. Did they get access through your check card?

OK, I just read that you had your identity stolen. I think that I am going to start burying my money in my back yard. Geesh, that is crazy!!!

Edited by mom2denj

Ick! I have had that happen, too. What a pain. Hopefully changing your debit/credit card number will solve the problem.

I'd like to mention, though, that while what happened and awful and a BITA, you technically didn't have your identity stolen. Stolen identity is when someone gets your name/social security number/birth date, etc. and starts opening accounts in your name, applying for benefits, etc. Basically, trying to pass themselves off as you. That's an even more major hassle that can just basically take over your life in trying to get fixed.

Again, not to belittle what happened to you! I know it's frustrating to have someone tap into your account. :grouphug::grouphug:

Ick! I have had that happen, too. What a pain. Hopefully changing your debit/credit card number will solve the problem.

I'd like to mention, though, that while what happened and awful and a BITA, you technically didn't have your identity stolen. Stolen identity is when someone gets your name/social security number/birth date, etc. and starts opening accounts in your name, applying for benefits, etc. Basically, trying to pass themselves off as you. That's an even more major hassle that can just basically take over your life in trying to get fixed.

Again, not to belittle what happened to you! I know it's frustrating to have someone tap into your account. :grouphug::grouphug:

I had a feeling someone was going to mention that. I actually did debate on if it was identity theft, but because an account was opened with our name and our account through this site, I still considered it ID theft, even if only on a minor scale.

Anyways, regardless if it is technically ID theft or not my name and my money was stolen and used :) But I do get what you are saying.

I had a feeling someone was going to mention that. I actually did debate on if it was identity theft ...

And I debated with myself (for more than a day, mind you!) whether or not to say anything. Because, you know, it's such a big deal. :001_rolleyes: Two hours of free time between 5:15 a.m. and 7:30 a.m. make people do weird things.

(I'm rolling my eyes at my dweeby self, by the way!)

And I debated with myself (for more than a day, mind you!) whether or not to say anything. Because, you know, it's such a big deal. :001_rolleyes: Two hours of free time between 5:15 a.m. and 7:30 a.m. make people do weird things.

(I'm rolling my eyes at my dweeby self, by the way!)

It didn't bother me that you mentioned it. :001_smile: I probably sounded short though. I just hopped on for a second and didnt have time to do much other than bust out a short response.

To the person who asked. No I did try to log in but they obviously didnt use all of my information and so couldn't see the order. I wonder if I could call them and ask?

I had something happen recently where my debit card would no longer work. When I called the bank to ask why, they said that it had been flagged and they had canceled it. I simply had to order a new card. My bank goes thru all charges each night and it had been flagged suspicious, they had reimbursed it and canceled the card immediately.

Oh, BTW, the charge? It was for $6 at some hotel in Indiana. :lol:

I had something happen recently where my debit card would no longer work. When I called the bank to ask why, they said that it had been flagged and they had canceled it. I simply had to order a new card. My bank goes thru all charges each night and it had been flagged suspicious, they had reimbursed it and canceled the card immediately.

Oh, BTW, the charge? It was for $6 at some hotel in Indiana. :lol:

We once had a credit card company call us and cancel our account because someone charged about $12 to an overseas company. They said the small charges are a test; if they go through unnoticed, the thief starts making bigger charges.

One of the annoying parts of this story is that my bank did actually flag it. When my DH called he told the lady on the phone that it was a fraudulent charge and not to approve it. DH said that she approved it anyways and then when he asked why she did that she said she misunderstood him. So now instead of just denying the charge, we have to file a claim. Again though as annoying as it is, it was fairly easy to fix. It could have been so much worse.