Menu

Book a Week in 2011 - week forty three

Good morning my darlings! Today is the start of week 43 in our quest to read 52 books in 52 weeks. Welcome back to our regulars and to all who are following our progress. Mr. Linky is all set up on the 52 books blog to link to your reviews. The link is in my signature.

52 Books Blog - National Novel Writing Month. All about november's writing challenge which I am partaking again for the 5th time. Found an excellent book on outlining and some authors who are running posts throughout October on writing and nano. Be sure to check them out.

Dawn (Ladydusk) has made a group for us on Goodreads The Hives 52 in 52 discussion. So now we have an additional spot where we can discuss books. For example, a thread to discuss Dracula since I just finished it. Thank you Dawn!

What are you reading this week?

Link to week 42

I did it. I finally read Dracula by Bram Stoker. It is told in a different format - by letters, diary entries, telegrams, etc. by different characters: Jonathan Harker, Van Helsing, Dr. Seward, Lucy, and Mina. It all meshes quite well together and draws you into the story. Given that it was written in the victoria era and the language is quite victorian which makes it all the more dramatic. I enjoyed it. Don't know what took me so long to read it. Guess wasn't old enough to appreciate it til now.

I finished two good books this week (haven't done that in awhile!). I'm on a John Le Carre kick right now after last week's Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy. I wanted to go back to the beginning of George Smiley, so I got Call for the Dead from the Library. Part mystery, part spy thriller, short...loved it! I also finished Snowflower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See and enjoyed it so much I might just keep the book for my dds (I usually pass books on to others).

I'm now reading Parallel Play by Tim Page, an autobiography about growing up with undiagnosed Asperger's Syndrome. It's our book club pick for November and I've just started it. I also have Le Carre's next book after Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy from the library--The Honourable Schoolboy. It's thick--haven't started it yet. And I put The Spy Who Came In from the Cold on hold and it just became available, so not sure which Le Carre I'll read after Parallel Play.

2011 Reading List

43. Snow Flower and the Secret Fan-Lisa See

42. Call for the Dead-John Le Carre

41. Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy-John LeCarre

40. Alice in Wonderland-Lewis Carroll

39. Seven Daughters and Seven Sons-Barbara Cohen

38. Augustine Came to Kent-Barbara Willard

37. Trudy’s Promise-Marcia Preston

36. All Together In One Place-Jane Kirkpatrick

35. The Invisible Wall-Harry Bernstein

34. A Red Herring Without Mustard-Alan Bradley

33. At the Sign of the Sugared Plum-Mary Hooper

32. The Weed That Strings the Hangman’s Bag-Alan Bradley

31. Do Hard Things-Alex and Brett Harris

30. Anna of Byzantium-Tracy Barrett

29. The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie-Alan Bradley

28. Cutting for Stone-Abraham Verghese

27. Stay With Me-Sandra Rodriguez Barron

26. Radical Homemakers-Shannon Hayes

25. Heaven is for Real-Todd Burpo

24. Under the Tuscan Sun-Frances Mayes

23. Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother-Amy Chua

22. These Three Remain-Pamela Aidan

21. Chocolat-Joanne Harris

20. Where the Red Fern Grows-Wilson Rawls

19. Duty and Desire-Pamela Aidan

18. An Assembly Such As This-Pamela Aidan

17. Left Neglected-Lisa Genova

16. Classics in the Classroom-Michael Clay Thompson

15. True You-Janet Jackson

14. The Samurai’s Garden-Gail Tsukiyama

13. Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet-Jamie Ford

12. God’s Middle Finger-Richard Grant

11. Kristin Lavransdatter-I: The Wreath-Sigrid Undset

10. The Housekeeper and the Professor-Yoko Ogawa

9. A Lucky Child-Thomas Buergenthal

8. Three Cups of Tea-Greg Mortenson

7. Run-Ann Patchett

6. The Red Queen-Philippa Gregory

5. Agnes Grey-Anne Bronte

4. The Daughter of Time-Josephine Tey

3. Mythology-Edith Hamilton

2. Phantom Toll Booth-Norton Juster

1. Her Fearful Symmetry-Audrey Niffenegger

Hi all!

The first books discussed are already on my radar and "to-be-read" list as KarenAnne and her dd both just read Dracula AND Tinker, Tailer Soldier, Spy. They both loved both books. I also recently read Snow Flower and the Secret Fan, and really enjoyed it. A friend has lent me a couple other Lisa See books but I haven't gotten to them yet.

I had a fluffy couple of weeks with one historical romance, Through a Glass Darkly, which was meh, but I kept reading it! I used to love historical romance, but I guess I've moved on. I also read Terry Pratchett's newest Discworld book, Snuff, which I simply loved. It was a poignant read as the author has Alzheimer's and it is hard to say if he will ever again visit this particular set of characters. The book even had an "they all lived happily ever after" feel to the ending.

I am currently reading an excellent and haunting book. Haunting is one of those over used hyperbole-blurb words, but this one is truly haunting me. It is The Cellist of Sarajevo, by Steven Galloway, a fictional account a few days in the lives of 4 people during the siege of Sarajevo back in the 90s. It is the most beautiful prose I've read in a long time, beautiful prose and a horrific setting. I absolutely feel like I'm there with the characters, dodging snipers and watching people die as I try to buy bread or get fresh water for my family. It stays with me after I put the book down.

I did it. I finally read Dracula by Bram Stoker. It is told in a different format - by letters, diary entries, telegrams, etc. by different characters: Jonathan Harker, Van Helsing, Dr. Seward, Lucy, and Mina. It all meshes quite well together and draws you into the story. Given that it was written in the victoria era and the language is quite victorian which makes it all the more dramatic. I enjoyed it. Don't know what took me so long to read it. Guess wasn't old enough to appreciate it til now.

I read Dracula for the first time a couple of years ago & really enjoyed it. I thought Stoker did a great job of creating tension & scary feelings, esp. for the time in which it was written.

If you enjoyed Dracula, I think you would also enjoy The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova.

Continuing my October 'spooky' theme, I started The Graveyard Book, a YA book by Neil Gaiman. Even though you don't often hear 'enchanted' and 'graveyard' in the same sentence, I will say I'm totally enchanted with this gem of a book.

From Booklist:

"*Starred Review* While a highly motivated killer murders his family, a baby, ignorant of the horrific goings-on but bent on independence, pulls himself out of his crib and toddles out of the house and into the night. This is most unfortunate for the killer, since the baby was his prime target. Finding his way through the barred fence of an ancient graveyard, the baby is discovered by Mr. and Mrs. Owens, a stable and caring couple with no children of their own—and who just happen to be dead. After much debate with the graveyard’s rather opinionated denizens, it is decided that the Owenses will take in the child. Under their care and the sponsorship of the mysterious Silas, the baby is named “Nobody†and raised among the dead to protect him from the killer, who relentlessly pursues him. This is an utterly captivating tale that is cleverly told through an entertaining cast of ghostly characters. There is plenty of darkness, but the novel’s ultimate message is strong and life affirming. Although marketed to the younger YA set, this is a rich story with broad appeal and is highly recommended for teens of all ages. Grades 6-10."

Books read as of July 2011:

32. The Reluctant Entertainer

33. A Curable Romantic

34. A Reliable Wife

35. Living the Simple Life

36. The Music of Chance

37. The Tower, the Zoo, and the Tortoise

38. Clear Your Clutter with Feng Shui

39. The Book of Jhereg

40. The Lost Symbol

41. Storm Front

42. The Clutter Cure

43. Simplicity Parenting

44. Madame Tussaud

45. The Map of Time

46. The Somnambulist

47. The Island of Lost Maps

48. The Adventurer's Handbook

49. Garden Spells

50. Dracula The Un-Dead

51. The Gold Bug

52. The Rule of Four

53. Ilustrado

54. The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde

55. Boneshaker

56. Judgment of Tears: Anno Dracula 1959

57. Slaughterhouse-Five

Stacia's Challenge/2011 Goodreads

Edited by Stacia

As a direct result of these Book-a-Week threads, I read an author whose works are new to me: Fannie Flagg. A big Thank You to those who recommended her! I totally enjoyed the first book, and am breezing through the second. Her memorable characters, her humor, the way she hits the nail on the head with the nostalgic turn-of-phrase, and, yes, even the sentimentality (sad at times though it was) kept me page-turning longer into the night than I should have.:D

#67 - Standing in the Rainbow

#68 - Can't Wait to Get to Heaven

Egads, week 43 already?? I'm 5 behind.

I'm reading "The Wand in the Word; Conversations with Writer's of Fantasy;" Interviews of fantasy writer's. Loving it!

Of course, everyone references Tolkien and there are several authors I don't recognize (fantasy is not really a genre I've gotten into much). But, I'm adding several books to my list due to the author interviews. The interview with Brian Jaques was just lovely. Awesome, easy read.

I finished reading -

29. I finished reading Charlie and the Chocolate Factory to my kids.

30. I finished reading Phantoms by Dean Koontz. Blech! I would not have chosen to read a book by Koontz except that is the book for the November meet-up for a sci-fi/fantasy book discussion group I'm trying out. Hopefully everyone else disliked it so Koontz won't be picked again.

31. Embroderies by Marjane Satrapi. After reading 3 other books by her I had to read this too. Her books are all amazing. This one is the marriage and s*x stories of several ladies. The title refers to getting sewn back up so your husband believes he married a v*rgin.

I'm reading "The Wand in the Word; Conversations with Writer's of Fantasy;" Interviews of fantasy writer's. Loving it!

Of course, everyone references Tolkien and there are several authors I don't recognize (fantasy is not really a genre I've gotten into much). But, I'm adding several books to my list due to the author interviews. The interview with Brian Jaques was just lovely. Awesome, easy read.

That sounds great! Any chance Ursula K. Le Guin is in there?

Tell me about this book, please? Worth the time and money?

You can read my review! :D It was worth the time, but I read a copy from the library. I'd advise you to look there first, but I'm notoriously cheap when it comes to books. Us librarians don't like to pay for books. :)

I just deleted my post! Here goes my second attempt:

This week's read goes straight into my Top 5:

39. A Thousand Cuts – Simon Lelic

This (fiction) book deals with the aftermath of a school shooting in which a teacher kills three pupils and a teacher before killing himself. Chapters alternate between interview transcripts, and chapters which deal with the investigation of police detective Lucia May into the shooting. Each interview adds to the overall understanding of the shooter's motives, although individual subjects often have a flawed understanding of these motives. The book looks at bullying, both in the context of the school environment, and Lucia's work environment, and the way in which bullying is condoned and encourages when authority figures and bystanders do not intervene. If you ever felt vulnerable in school, this book will probably leave your stomach in knots. It made me sad, and angry. I found it a compelling and thought-provoking story. The book is also sold under the title Rupture.

I started The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks last night, and I'm finding it fascinating. If you've enjoyed this book, you might also enjoy The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down by Anne Fadiman. I'm also hoping to finish a book of essays on veiling this week.

I love the ideas I get from this thread every week, but don't often post my own. However, this week I had a couple that were so great I wanted to share the ideas!

Ophelia by Lisa Klein This is the story of Hamlet from Ophelia's perspective. I thought it dragged on a little in the middle, but the last part of the book was SO worth it!

Right as Rain by Bev Marshall The cover says if you like Fannie Flagg, you'll like this. I've never read Fannie Flagg, so I can't comment on that but lots of people here seem to love her so I thought I'd add that. Anyway, this woman can WRITE! I'm loving the character development and the way you come to love these characters. It starts in 1950 in Mississippi and traces the lives of an African American family and the white family that they work for. It's about race and love and family and how we define these things. But it's so much more than that.....I'd rate this book VERY highly!

Finished The Poisnwood Bible and really liked it a lot. The ending dragged on a bit for my liking. Rachel cracked me up since she was so shallow, self-absorbed, and vacuous. :lol: I had to smile when I read this quote from her:

"Friends, there is nothing like your own family to make you appreciate strangers!" :tongue_smilie:

I need a slight break from fiction. This is quite rare for me these days. I just started and am really enjoying Mindset. If you liked Outliers, you might like this one very much also. This book really gets you thinking. I wish she had a kids/teen version of this book. I would love to get the Brainology software program, but it's too expensive and I don't know enough about it.

mindset-book.jpg

The Cellist of Sarajevo

Jenn, sometimes I add this to my wish list. Then I got intimidated and worried and take it off ... can't decide. There's only so much pain I can handle. Mind you, I loved "The Book Thief" and "Night" as well as other painful books.

Stacia, The Graveyard Book looks like something my dd will enjoy. She loved Coraline (not the book, which she hasn't read, but the movie).

As a direct result of these Book-a-Week threads, I read an author whose works are new to me: Fannie Flagg. A big Thank You to those who recommended her! I totally enjoyed the first book,

So happy to hear that you liked it. :D

I started another Jen Lancaster book because I enjoyed her last book.

I added Bitter is the New Black to my wish list. Might like this one also. :)

I started a book yesterday and set it aside never to pick up again.

Oh, do share, please, pretty please. :lol: :D

I think I feel a tiny bit this way about The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks. I feel guilty since I paid for it and everyone, I mean everyone, seems to love it. :tongue_smilie:

Edited by Negin in Grenada

It is The Cellist of Sarajevo, by Steven Galloway, a fictional account a few days in the lives of 4 people during the siege of Sarajevo back in the 90s.

I read it earlier this year. It really is a wonderful book, and although desperately sad, I did not find it depressing. The characters' resilience shone through.

You might also like A Thousand Cuts which I recommended above - although the story is different, it touched me in a similar way.

Ophelia by Lisa Klein This is the story of Hamlet from Ophelia's perspective. I thought it dragged on a little in the middle' date=' but the last part of the book was SO worth it![/quote']

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll try this one - I enjoy books that "shake up" familiar stories.

Edited by nd293

Just finished The Master's Wall (Christian romance fiction) because a friend wanted me to. Let's just say I remembered why I've always avoided those kinds of books.

Now reading The Sea Wolf by Jack London. The story is brutal, but the excellent writing style is a relief to read. Such a contrast to the last book.

I am now completely finished with the Game of Thrones series by George R.R. Martin, and completely finished with the "Fever" series by Karen M. Moning (I loved it- if you love any of the vampire or fae series type books, this one is great- not really about vampires, more about fae, but it's a really good urban fantasy type thing with some fun characters).

This week, I am going to start a book I saw mentioned here, "The Strange Affair of Spring Heeled Jack."

With my daughter I'm playing a bit of catch up, so we're currently reading two books simultaneously- The Secret School by Avi and Escape from Egypt (I forget who by).

I read Dracula two years ago after reading the Twilight series. My dh kept making references to "real" vampires LOL so I had to see what Dracula was all about. I found it confusing at first to follow all of the journal entries but after I got the hang of it I was hooked. Of course, I got a bit spooked and couldn't read it at night. I'm such a weenie :lol: I found it interesting that a victorian novel could scare the pants off me!

Hi all!

I had a fluffy couple of weeks with one historical romance, Through a Glass Darkly, which was meh, but I kept reading it!

I read that years ago. It was a disappointing read for such a big book.

Fantasy is my favorite genre!! Thank you for this recommendation! My library has it in!

A friend of mine (from another board & GoodReads) made me aware of the following: NPR is starting a 'backseat book club' for kids ages 9-14. The first book they are covering is The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman. You can listen to Neil Gaiman read the book in its entirety here. The dc & I listened to chapter 1 today & it's awesome to hear Gaiman reading it. The dc loved it (as I knew they would). We're looking forward to listening to the rest of the book, then tuning in for NPR's program w/ Neil Gaiman.

:D

Edited by Stacia

Finished [bI need a slight break from fiction. This is quite rare for me these days. I just started and am really enjoying Mindset. If you liked Outliers, you might like this one very much also. This book really gets you thinking. I wish she had a kids/teen version of this book. I would love to get the Brainology software program, but it's too expensive and I don't know enough about it.

I really liked Mindset when I read it a couple of years ago, and I do try to impart some of it to my kids. :)

Oh, do share, please, pretty please. :lol: :D

The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle. Just not up my ally.

Now reading The Sea Wolf by Jack London. The story is brutal, but the excellent writing style is a relief to read. Such a contrast to the last book.

Isn't all London's work brutal?

I picked another book that has too long been gathering dust on my shelves: Tolkien: A Biography. Mine is the old hc I picked up at a booksale.

It may possibly be the best read of the year! (Aside from J.R.R.'s original works, that is. But I've read those many times before...) What an incredibly good read. I'm inspired to read his glories, and I'm comforted to know that even such a literary giant had foibles, problems, failures of his own.

I must read more biographies! I think biographies may be my new "inspirational" genre, since self-help books don't really do it for me ;)

It is also inspiring me to read the Silmarilion before I finish LOTR with The Return of the King. :)

Edited by Medieval Mom

I really liked Mindset when I read it a couple of years ago, and I do try to impart some of it to my kids. :)

You may have been the one who recommended it here several months ago. If so, thank you. :)

I'm going through it very slowly, which is fine. I'm really enjoying it.

I would love to read parts of it to my dc. They've already listened to the audio version of Outliers. Don't know how much of it they recall, but at least they listened and we talked about it a lot at the time.

The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle. Just not up my ally.

First, of all a big :grouphug: for sharing. :lol:

Second, I couldn't agree more. I could not stand that book. Parts of it were fine. I took a few notes here and there, but his overall writing style was cold, distant, and just plain boring, really, really boring. I gave it to my former yoga teacher who loves that sort of stuff ;).

:lol:

Second, I couldn't agree more. I could not stand that book. Parts of it were fine. I took a few notes here and there, but his overall writing style was cold, distant, and just plain boring, really, really boring. I gave it to my former yoga teacher who loves that sort of stuff ;).

Try it in audio. Ugh, I wanted to pull my ears off at the sound of his snivelly nasally voice.

Wellll...I started reading Past Imperfect by Julian Fellowes, but I kept getting thrown off by the back-and-forth changes in time, and his excruciating descriptions of every event. I finally skimmed through and read the relevant parts and the ending, but I'm not counting it as one of my 52 books.

I am just about finished with Murder by the Slice by Livia J. Washburn, and I'm also reading Aunt Jane's Hero by Elizabeth Prentiss, which is very good so far (Thanks, ladydusk!). I also read Searching for Icons in Russia by Vladimir Soloukhin, which turned out to be different from what I expected. It was told from an autobiographical, collector's point of view, and was very interesting.

I am currently reading an excellent and haunting book. Haunting is one of those over used hyperbole-blurb words, but this one is truly haunting me. It is The Cellist of Sarajevo, by Steven Galloway, a fictional account a few days in the lives of 4 people during the siege of Sarajevo back in the 90s. It is the most beautiful prose I've read in a long time, beautiful prose and a horrific setting. I absolutely feel like I'm there with the characters, dodging snipers and watching people die as I try to buy bread or get fresh water for my family. It stays with me after I put the book down.

Yes, such a well written book. Crissy recommended it to me a year or two ago and I want to read it again.

Try it in audio. Ugh, I wanted to pull my ears off at the sound of his snivelly nasally voice.

Oh my ... not to sound mean or anything, and I'm sure it will sound mean anyway ;), but I remember his face and thinking that he probably has an annoying nasal voice :rolleyes:. :lol: I mean it's one thing to sound nasal. Fine. Can't always be helped. But I would get someone else to read the audio. Maybe Morgan Freeman, Denzel Washington? :D :lol:

Continuing my October 'spooky' theme, I read The Graveyard Book, a YA book by Neil Gaiman. Even though you don't often hear 'enchanted' and 'graveyard' in the same sentence, I will say I'm totally enchanted with The Graveyard Book -- what a gem. Though there are a few somewhat scary parts, overall the storytelling mixes humor and sage wisdom to create a heartfelt tale of Nobody Owens. Definitely recommended for ages 9-10+, including adults, many of whom would greatly enjoy this story.

I've now started World War Z by Max Brooks (son of Mel Brooks). I really never thought this would be a book I would read, but a good friend of mine insisted repeatedly that I would really like this book. And you know what? So far, she's right! The story is told from a viewpoint of survivors 10 years after the end of the Zombie Wars, which greatly decimated the world's populations. The individual stories are told in an interview format & a large part of the storytelling focuses on the world political stage & how different countries are reacting to the 'outbreak' as it is initially happening/spreading. (There is much less emphasis on 'zombie' descriptions themselves.) So, to me, it's a fascinating look at political/cultural responses to a world outbreak (which is not far-fetched considering SARS, bird flu, AIDS, etc...). Basically it's using a 'horror' genre to assess/tell how nations react to a global pandemic.

From Publishers Weekly:

"Brooks, the author of the determinedly straight-faced parody The Zombie Survival Guide (2003), returns in all seriousness to the zombie theme for his second outing, a future history in the style of Theodore Judson's Fitzpatrick's War. Brooks tells the story of the world's desperate battle against the zombie threat with a series of first-person accounts "as told to the author" by various characters around the world. A Chinese doctor encounters one of the earliest zombie cases at a time when the Chinese government is ruthlessly suppressing any information about the outbreak that will soon spread across the globe. The tale then follows the outbreak via testimony of smugglers, intelligence officials, military personnel and many others who struggle to defeat the zombie menace. Despite its implausible premise and choppy delivery, the novel is surprisingly hard to put down. The subtle, and not so subtle, jabs at various contemporary politicians and policies are an added bonus."

I totally lost count....seriously! I always keep track on my laptop, and it had a broken wire...and I lost track....but, I'll just keep reading away anyway...lol

I am reading The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory and totally enjoying it.

I am reading The Trojan War by Oilivia Coolidge aloud to my kids. We are also reading Grandfather's Box...which is cute...for devotions.

Faithe.

That's okay, I'm twenty behind.

FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY FINISHED ...

23. Thucydides, The Peloponnesian War; Rex Warner, tr.

It only took me five months. Oh well; it took the Athenians and Spartans twenty years, so I'm still ahead of the game, right?

Excerpt:

When the news of what had happened in Euboea came to Athens, it caused the very greatest panic that had ever been known there. Not the disaster in Sicily, though it had seemed great enough at the time, nor any other had ever had so terrifying an effect. And indeed there was every reason for despondency: the army at Samos was in revolt; they had no more ships, and no more crews for ships; there was civil disturbance among themselves, and no one could tell when it might not come to actual fighting; and now, on top of everything, this disaster in which they had lost their fleet and, what was worst of all, Euboea, which had been more useful to them than Attica itself. And what disturbed them most greatly and most nearly was the thought that the enemy, after their victory, might venture to come straight on at them and to sail against Piraeus, which was now left with no navy to defend it; indeed, they expected every moment to see them coning. And, if the Peloponnesians had been more daring, they could easily have done this. They would then either have produced, simply by anchoring off the city, still greater dissension inside, or, if they stayed there and undertook siege operations, they would have forced the fleet in Ionia, however hostile it might be to the oligarchy, to come to the help of their own people and of the city itself; and meanwhile the Hellespont and Ionia would have fallen into their hands, together with the islands and everything as far as Euboea - the whole Athenian empire, in fact. However, on this occasion, as on many others, the Spartans proved to be quite the most remarkably helpful enemies that the Athenians could have had. For Athens, particularly as a naval power, was enormously helped by the very great difference in the national characters - her speed as against their slowness, her enterprise as against their lack of initiative. This was shown by the Syracusans, who were most like the Athenians in character and fought best against them.*

(I have a new Graham Greene next to the bed that promises to be a much faster read.)

*ETA: The Athenians' position at that point is not dissimilar from that of the Rangers in the 6th inning that just finished. Bases loaded and you walk him? Really?

Edited by Sharon in Austin

Continuing my October 'spooky' theme, I read The Graveyard Book, a YA book by Neil Gaiman. Even though you don't often hear 'enchanted' and 'graveyard' in the same sentence, I will say I'm totally enchanted with The Graveyard Book -- what a gem. Though there are a few somewhat scary parts, overall the storytelling mixes humor and sage wisdom to create a heartfelt tale of Nobody Owens. Definitely recommended for ages 9-10+, including adults, many of whom would greatly enjoy this story.

I've now started World War Z by Max Brooks (son of Mel Brooks). I really never thought this would be a book I would read (wink.giflaugh.gif), but a good friend of mine insisted repeatedly that I would really like this book. And you know what? So far, she's right! The story is told from a viewpoint of survivors 10 years after the end of the Zombie Wars, which greatly decimated the world's populations. The individual stories are told in an interview format & a large part of the storytelling focuses on the world political stage & how different countries are reacting to the 'outbreak' as it is initially happening/spreading. (There is much less emphasis on 'zombie' descriptions themselves.) So, to me, it's a fascinating look at political/cultural responses to a world outbreak (which is not far-fetched considering SARS, bird flu, AIDS, etc...). Basically it's using a 'horror' genre to assess/tell how nations react to a global pandemic.

Added World War Z to my to-read list. 10 years post zombies is not something I personally have read or seen a movie about.

The Graveyard Book is one I intend to eventually read to my kids so we can all enjoy it.

Added World War Z to my to-read list. 10 years post zombies is not something I personally have read or seen a movie about.

The Graveyard Book is one I intend to eventually read to my kids so we can all enjoy it.

Brad Pitt is currently acting in the World War Z movie that's being made (based off the book). Other than "Boneshaker" (which I recently read), this is the first time I've ventured into 'zombie' book territory.

I highly recommend watching/listening to Neil Gaiman (the author) read The Graveyard Book. Even though I read the book, the dc & I are really enjoying hearing him read it (& I'm definitely *not* an audio book type person). Each chapter is approx. 45 minutes.

http://mousecircus.com/videotour2.aspx?VideoID=1

Y'all are very sweet. :) I am reading a pretty fluffy book at the moment, just to rest my brain.

I did forget to list the vocabulary I had to look up from Thucydides. Just one this time: peltast. At the end of the year, I'm going to list all the words I had to look up as my Vocabulary List of Shame.

I finished The Two Towers tonight. I always dread the slog of Book 4 heading into Mordor, but have now accomplished that and am ready for Book 5 ...

My 2011 Reviews:

1. Her Daughter's Dream - Francine Rivers

2. Island of the World - Michael O'Brien (AMAZING!)

3. Mennonite in a Little Black Dress - Rhoda Janzen

4. Cinderella Ate My Daughter - Peggy Orenstein

5. Devil's Cub - Georgette Heyer

6. Keeping a Nature Journal - Clare Walker Leslie and Charles E Roth.

7. Politically Incorrect Guide to Western Civilization (Audio Book) - Anthony Esolen

8. Excellent Women - Barbara Pym

9. The Abyssinian - Jean-Christophe Rufin

10. In the Company of Others - Jan Karon

11. One Thousand Gifts - Ann Voskamp

12. Regency Buck - Georgette Heyer

13. Bath Tangle - Georgette Heyer

14. The Convenient Marriage - Georgette Heyer

15. The Organized Heart - Staci Eastin

16. Your Home: A Place of Grace - Susan Hunt

17. Christian Encounters: Jane Austen - Peter Leithart

18. Bambi: A Life in the Woods - Victor Salten

19. Aunt Jane's Hero - Elizabeth Prentiss

20. The Magician's Nephew (Audio Book) - C.S. Lewis

21. The Horse and His Boy (Audio Book) - C.S. Lewis

22. Beauty for Truth's Sake - Stratford Caldecott

23. A Mother's Rule of Life - Holly Pierlot

24. Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen

25. Persuasion - Jane Austen

26. Sense and Sensibility - Jane Austen

27. Real Love for Real Life - Andi Ashworth

28. Caring for Words in a Culture of Lies - Marilyn Chandler McEntyre

29. The Pleasures of Reading in an Age of Distraction - Alan Jacobs

30. The Help - Kathryn Stockett

31. The Waiting Sands - Susan Howatch

32. Prince Caspian (Audio Book) - C.S. Lewis

33. Fellowship of the Ring - J.R.R. Tolkien (review forthcoming)

34. Garden Spells - Sarah Addison Allen

35. The Wind in the Willows - Kenneth Grahame

36. The Two Towers - J.R.R. Tolkien