Menu

maybe a old question, but -- boxed curr that is Classical and challenged?

momma aimee

I am finding, for MY SELF, I am doing better at teaching the subjects that I have more laid out for me.

I am moving us though math much more quickly than Science and History and so on.

My "plan" for first is to have planned Curr for each subject -- i don't expect to find a boxed one that will have everything in it -- but surely an outlined program for me for each subject.

BTDT experience?

Not to be dumb, but have you looked at SOTW? It would probably do what you want. There's no reason (and it's not wise) to change your LA stuff if what you're doing is working. You don't need a whole program, just some content. Science is pretty personal, so you just have to read about your options. In 1st I liked more informal, natural stuff like the Let's Read and Find Out books and taking lots of nature walks. For history, just about anything popular on the boards will have enough structure to suit you. The only thing that wouldn't is TQ. Beyond that, any of them will work. It's easier to make something challenging and appropriate to your child if you read WTM and figure out what skills they need to work on next, rather than hoping a curriculum will have done all that for you. Sometimes someone will luck out and find a publisher whose vision exactly matches their child. The rest of the time, you start with whatever framework gets you closest to where you need to be and adapt.

The main thing is not to aim too high or be unnecessarily unrealistic. You won't have any more time than you have now. Simple things work just fine. CHOW is good. SOTW is good. The VP online history is good. Find the simplest approach you can to accomplish your goals, and you'll be happy.

I am finding, for MY SELF, I am doing better at teaching the subjects that I have more laid out for me.

I am moving us though math much more quickly than Science and History and so on.

My "plan" for first is to have planned Curr for each subject -- i don't expect to find a boxed one that will have everything in it -- but surely an outlined program for me for each subject.

BTDT experience?

Have you looked at Kolbe Academy or Mother of Divine Grace?

I haven't managed to escape eclecticism yet, but if I do, it will be to one of these.

SOTW isn't exactly scheduled out for you, but it's easy to schedule. We do one section per day (each chapter has 1-4 sections - usually 2-3), 3 days a week. This will likely last you roughly a school year. There are 42 chapters, but not every chapter has 3 sections, so that's how you can catch up. I find it easy to schedule. Each day, we read the section and do the narration (questions in the AG). On the last day of a chapter, we do the map work (which is very appropriate for a first grader).

Elemental Science would be WTM style science laid out for you (scheduled and everything).

History Odyssey schedules history for you. You can even do the "try it" for several weeks for free before buying it (in any form).

I've yet to find a science that I like, so I'll just agree with Oh Elizabeth that it is highly individualistic.

I know how you feel about having things open & go & semi-scheduled allowing you to get more done. I'm the type that likes to schedule my own things ahead of time. I know some people can just decide what to do on the spur of the moment & pull it off. If my stuff isn't scheduled & laid out ahead of time, it probably won't happen.

I haven't found a "box" that worked for me yet, though.

Good luck! :grouphug:

i'm using "adventures in america" with my son this year. we add in the extra readers recommended by the author; it's been great! it's 3x week & can be used for those wanting to hold off on SOTW. here's a link (you'll see samples there).

best part - it's cheap:)

for science, he's using and enjoying singapore science with the let's read and find out about books. lastly, i cannot recommend enough the christian liberty press nature readers. we have books 1-5 (my daughter is in book 4). we love these.

Edited by mytwomonkeys

History Odyssey schedules history for you. You can even do the "try it" for several weeks for free before buying it (in any form).

I've yet to find a science that I like, so I'll just agree with Oh Elizabeth that it is highly individualistic.

I know how you feel about having things open & go & semi-scheduled allowing you to get more done. I'm the type that likes to schedule my own things ahead of time. I know some people can just decide what to do on the spur of the moment & pull it off. If my stuff isn't scheduled & laid out ahead of time, it probably won't happen.

I haven't found a "box" that worked for me yet, though.

Good luck! :grouphug:

:) this is what I am finding

• 3 weeks later...
I have found that boxed curriculum drives me batty. On the other hand, I like programs that are well laid our for me with a good hand-holding teacher's manual for each individual subject. SOTW is about as easy as they come, especially if you use the activity guide.:001_smile:

:iagree::iagree:

I love a well planned program for each individual subject. I especially love a guide where I can multi-level teach...choose ideas....and it is uncomplicated! Uncomplicated for me is the absolute key.

So far, SOTW fits that bill. CLE fits that bill for math, reading and LA....each kid on their level for that. My kids discovered Lyrical Life Science and they love that. It is easy to follow and add free reading books. We listen in the car...read on the couch....color and diagram on the coffee table.

For history, when we finished SOTW I bought Heart of Dakota...and Sonlight. Heart of Dakota was too complicated...and choppy....Even more choppy than Sonlight...if that is possible. I just couldn't make it flow. I put all 3 younger kids in the Sonlight...and it is working beautifully.

Next year....dd starts high school...and 2 boys go back to SOTW....easy peasy to follow. Rich as you want to make it. Easy enough and thorough enough to use by itself.

Good luck,

Faithe

:iagree::iagree:

I love a well planned program for each individual subject. I especially love a guide where I can multi-level teach...choose ideas....and it is uncomplicated! Uncomplicated for me is the absolute key.

So far, SOTW fits that bill. CLE fits that bill for math, reading and LA....each kid on their level for that. My kids discovered Lyrical Life Science and they love that. It is easy to follow and add free reading books. We listen in the car...read on the couch....color and diagram on the coffee table.

For history, when we finished SOTW I bought Heart of Dakota...and Sonlight. Heart of Dakota was too complicated...and choppy....Even more choppy than Sonlight...if that is possible. I just couldn't make it flow. I put all 3 younger kids in the Sonlight...and it is working beautifully.

Next year....dd starts high school...and 2 boys go back to SOTW....easy peasy to follow. Rich as you want to make it. Easy enough and thorough enough to use by itself.

Good luck,

Faithe

I think THAT is what I truely need / want. it doesn't have to all be Company ABC -- but i need something, for each subject, laid out because i am not so good at knowing what to pull together for myself.

• 2 months later...

I know this is an older thread but...

I am planning for fall to use Sonlight Core B, though I do read the selections on the weekly grid, I may read all of one book in one day instead of spreading over more than one day, or however SL has it planned for that week.

I am planning to combine that with Memoria Press 2nd grade minus phonics and math. I will use FLL, WWE, and Abeka math.

So, I know what it means to like it all laid out. Sometimes I veer off the path for math, say doing two lessons a day or some such, but I still have the curriculum guide to give me teaching tips if dd is not getting something, and to tell me what sort of schedule to maintain to get done in a certain number of weeks. All of the programs I use are easily laid out. I do plan to read SOTW and some of the Guerber books along with Core B, but those will be more like bedtime stories or audios for trips and such as we travel quite a bit.

it doesn't have to all be Company ABC -- but i need something, for each subject, laid out because i am not so good at knowing what to pull together for myself.

Well that is easier than finding a good, all-in-one, classical curriculum. You can look at WWE for writing, FLL for grammar, AAS or SWR for spelling and MUS or Singapore-with-HIG for maths.

Not a box from one company, but all of these come with a pretty basic, do this on this day, format or are very obvious in what one should from one assignment to the next, which I do find very helpful, especially as I add more and more students.

Grammar: FLL

Writing: WWE

Math: TT or MUS

History: History Odyssey

Science: RSO, Elemental Science, or Noeo

Art: The Phonics of Drawing