Menu

stupid city code made our realtor basically romove our sale sign

our city has the most stupid codes. When we put an addition on our house we also had to put a parking pad BEHIND our house which meant removing our back fence and the pad (which we never use) took up half of our tiny yard. The city said that an addtion equaled more living space which required more parking space. Also we had to put 2 new trees in between the sidewalk and the street. The city requires this planting of trees for all new additons. Well here is the latest. Our realtor came over and he said there is a code where for sale signs can go (which nobody follows) so ever once and awhile the city will pick a house to "make an example of" well the city picked us. Our sign had to be moved to a foot or less directly in front of the foundation. of our house. Well our house is surrounded by bushes and trees so now the sign can not be seen at all. Stupid, stupid city.

our garage is detached and in the back yard. We are meeting with our realtor tomorrow and see if anything can be done.

Window cling? You can get an adhesive vinyl sign made for the window. Can you have removable signage that you move into the garage or onto the porch every night?

Can you spray paint "FOR SALE" in orange spray paint on the grass on your front yard? Hang it from a tree? Put up a flag pole with a big "FOR SALE" flag? Park your car on the stret with a big sign in the window saying, "This House for Sale"?

There has to be a loophole that will both (1) annoy the city; and (2) get your message across, though between the two of them, I'm in the mood to focus more on #1.

Sorry they're being so annoying. I hope you're moving to another city!

Terri

Can you spray paint "FOR SALE" in orange spray paint on the grass on your front yard? Hang it from a tree? Put up a flag pole with a big "FOR SALE" flag? Park your car on the stret with a big sign in the window saying, "This House for Sale"?

There has to be a loophole that will both (1) annoy the city; and (2) get your message across, though between the two of them, I'm in the mood to focus more on #1.

Terri

:lol: Exactly!

Our sign had to be moved to a foot or less directly in front of the foundation. of our house. Well our house is surrounded by bushes and trees so now the sign can not be seen at all. Stupid, stupid city.

Gee, can't imagine why you'd want to move from this city. (/sarc.)

How about putting it on the exterior of an upstairs wall?

good luck selling

I'm imagining something worthy of those "funny picture" compilations all over the internet. Maybe three signs on your car, parked someplace highly visible.

#1 - THIS HOME FOR SALE

#2 - But the city won't let me put a sign in my yard.

#3 - Please buy it anyway.

It would make me laugh! And maybe, if I was house shopping, I'd stop to meet the hilarious person who put up such an advertisement.

Seriously though, that stinks. I'd try to elevate it so it's visible, or try a window, car, maybe even hung on the outside of the front door? That might be more eye-catching than in a window. If you can have something like a No Soliciting sign, I can't imagine they could come up with a code prohibiting other door signs.

Terri

Ha! There were some people here who got into it with the city over some ordinances. They found out that they could paint the house bright purple with yellow and green smiley faces all over it and it wasn't against any ordinances. The city finally was able to make them repaint, but the house was like that forever. And, it was right on the corner of a busy road. It was pretty funny.

Well that's ridiculous, but take heart. My realtor told me that fewer sales come from sign calls than other forms of marketing. You are listed in the MLS system, right? Other web sites (realtor.com, zillow, etc)? Those should generate some showings for you.

Annoying, though, to be sure.

Ha! There were some people here who got into it with the city over some ordinances. They found out that they could paint the house bright purple with yellow and green smiley faces all over it and it wasn't against any ordinances. The city finally was able to make them repaint, but the house was like that forever. And, it was right on the corner of a busy road. It was pretty funny.

Haha, yeah. If it weren't for having to pay to repaint, it'd be funny to just paint FOR SALE on the house.

our city has the most stupid codes. When we put an addition on our house we also had to put a parking pad BEHIND our house which meant removing our back fence and the pad (which we never use) took up half of our tiny yard. The city said that an addtion equaled more living space which required more parking space. Also we had to put 2 new trees in between the sidewalk and the street. The city requires this planting of trees for all new additons. Well here is the latest. Our realtor came over and he said there is a code where for sale signs can go (which nobody follows) so ever once and awhile the city will pick a house to "make an example of" well the city picked us. Our sign had to be moved to a foot or less directly in front of the foundation. of our house. Well our house is surrounded by bushes and trees so now the sign can not be seen at all. Stupid, stupid city.

Can you hang a sign on one of your new trees right up against the street? Hand it inside a front window? Sign on your front door? Sorry, they're being so tough to work with.