Menu

any quilters?

I recommend Start Quilting with Alex Anderson, and also her rotary cutting book.

I would get an Olfa rotary cutter, a large Omnigrid ruler, any really large self-healing cutting mat with lines, and the self-cling clear non-slip stuff for the back of the ruler. You need a machine that does a good straight stitch and has a walking foot. Everything else is just learning how.

If you can find some DVDs or watch some shows on TV with Alex Anderson or Fons & Porter, it might help to watch someone rotary cut and line up seams.

Quilting is simple once you learn a few basic things. I never sewed until I was 35, and I do not know how to sew clothing, but I can make quilts.

I recommend Start Quilting with Alex Anderson, and also her rotary cutting book.

I would get an Olfa rotary cutter, a large Omnigrid ruler, any really large self-healing cutting mat with lines, and the self-cling clear non-slip stuff for the back of the ruler. You need a machine that does a good straight stitch and has a walking foot. Everything else is just learning how.

If you can find some DVDs or watch some shows on TV with Alex Anderson or Fons & Porter, it might help to watch someone rotary cut and line up seams.

Quilting is simple once you learn a few basic things. I never sewed until I was 35, and I do not know how to sew clothing, but I can make quilts.

thanks so much!!

The first quilting book I ever bought (and it's still a favorite, but OOP) was by Harriet Hargrave. I have bookmarked her new series to buy for my DD when she's a bit older. I think it would be a wonderful starting place for a new quilter. I like that she's putting them out as a 4 volume set because, as with everything, quilting skills do build steadily upon a basic foundation. Here is the first in the series (there will be 4 in all).

That said, I also agree with the pp's recommendation of Alex Anderson's books. She is a wonderful teacher and her books are crystal clear. She used to have a show on HGTV. I wonder if you can find them online somewhere by Googling.

I suppose it depends on what kind of quilts you want to make.

When I made my first quilt I was making a gift and using up spare fabric. I just cut a hexagon out of a cereal box and used that as the pattern for my pieces. I cut each piece with scissors. I stitched the top all together by hand and then knotted the layers together.

I only mention this because those old quilts we love to look at were generally done by women with little more then what I had who were using whatever scraps of material they had into something functional. They used basic skills and tools to construct those quilts.

I'm not saying DON'T buy books and modern tools (I may be looking at that soon myself), rather, if you want to jump in and just start making a quilt, don't think that you need classes and modern tools. Feel free to jump in while you're still learning about all the neat modern options available to you!

The first quilting book I ever bought (and it's still a favorite, but OOP) was by Harriet Hargrave. I have bookmarked her new series to buy for my DD when she's a bit older. I think it would be a wonderful starting place for a new quilter. I like that she's putting them out as a 4 volume set because, as with everything, quilting skills do build steadily upon a basic foundation. Here is the first in the series (there will be 4 in all).

That said, I also agree with the pp's recommendation of Alex Anderson's books. She is a wonderful teacher and her books are crystal clear. She used to have a show on HGTV. I wonder if you can find them online somewhere by Googling.

thanks for this! I love the look and set up of these books I am adding them to my list

There is a website with forums that has on-line shows hosted by Alex Anderson & Ricky Timms; it's called The Quilt Show (website is http://www.thequiltshow.com) The shows I think you have to have a paid membership to watch on-line, or you can order the DVDs; I've seen one season and they are very helpful.

The forum is also a huge help (there is a free membership level for the forum, and a paid level; I'm only free level).

I suppose it depends on what kind of quilts you want to make.

When I made my first quilt I was making a gift and using up spare fabric. I just cut a hexagon out of a cereal box and used that as the pattern for my pieces. I cut each piece with scissors. I stitched the top all together by hand and then knotted the layers together.

I only mention this because those old quilts we love to look at were generally done by women with little more then what I had who were using whatever scraps of material they had into something functional. They used basic skills and tools to construct those quilts.

I'm not saying DON'T buy books and modern tools (I may be looking at that soon myself), rather, if you want to jump in and just start making a quilt, don't think that you need classes and modern tools. Feel free to jump in while you're still learning about all the neat modern options available to you!

I definitely agree with this, too.

I started because a dear friend needed a few quilt squares made by other people, and I volunteered to do one. I'd never sewn anything before in my life and did not/do not own a sewing machine or any quilting or sewing supplies at all. All I had to start with was a $1 sewing kit from a US drug store.

My friend emailed the pattern (it was a free on-line pattern), I went to a fabric store and bought fabric -- way too much as I had no idea how much I needed -- and went home to figure this out. I had no idea about rotary cutting or anything and just drew and cut pieces out of cardstock, traced them onto the fabric, cut those out, and started sewing.

Now, about 18 months later, I've finished my first quilt top and am ready to layer it with the batting and the backing fabric and quilt it. I've got most of the squares ready to go for a 2nd quilt top. I've made various craft items by following on-line free tutorials.

I have slowly gathered supplies -- a rotary cutter & mat are certainly helpful and faster than cutting with scissors, but not necessary. A good ruler if you get a rotary cutter is a good basic to have, but I started with a really simple ruler and it was fine.

Best of luck, and don't be scared to just dive in and get started. It's loads of fun and such a rewarding thing to do.

Ooo, I hadn't seen the new Harriet Hargrave series! I love her other stuff! I took some girls and ladies through http://www.amazon.com/Underground-Railroad-Sampler-Eleanor-Burns/dp/1891776134 and the results were fabulous. Eleanor Burns has other themed books as well. She has particularly good step-by-step instructions. Some of her books like this one http://www.amazon.com/Egg-Money-Quilts-Vintage-Samplers/dp/1891776193/ref=pd_sim_b3 will show ways to use the individual blocks as well as assembling the whole quilt. This is particularly nice for beginners, because you might find it easier to get done one or two or three blocks, rather than a whole quilt. Her individual blocks can be turned into pillows or table runners, bags, aprons, etc. and she gives complete instructions. The first quilting class I ever took had us make a sampler with just three blocks. Don't be afraid to think SMALL. Start something do-able and get it done. If you started now, you might be able to get a table runner done for Christmas.

Don't forget to buy pins. Pins are the secret to good quilting, lots and lots of pins. Maybe someone else has a secret, but there you go. I like the pins Joanns sells with white heads. They're not too fat and not too skinny, and the bit of head makes them easy to pick up.

As much as I like my Olfa rotary cutters (and I own several, was using one last night), I would recommend you buy this one http://www.amazon.com/Dritz-Pressure-Sensitive-Rotary-Cutter-45mm/dp/B000YZASLM instead. It's MUCH safer for beginners or with children around the house. It's EXTREMELY possible to slice your thumb open with a regular rotary cutter. This Dritz safety cutter works almost as well as unshielded and is SAFE. It costs almost the same as a regular rotary cutter too. I had known someone in a class who cut her thumb open with a regular rotary cutter, and I BEGGED the people in my class to buy the Dritz. Some had already bought another brand. Let's just say they learned the unpleasant way. I only let my dd use the Dritz.

Like the others, I like Omnigrid rules. The book you're using will sometimes suggest which rulers fit the projects best. As a general rule it's good to have a 6 1/2X24, a 4X12 (ish, there are a couple in that range, just pick), and a 6-ish inch square. Those you'll use a ton. But it really depends on the project and your style. I like the Omnigrid non-slips with the yellow gripper coating on the underside.

Buy the biggest mat you can afford. Joanns is giving out 50% coupons right now at the store, so that's a good way.

Have fun!

I just started this week doing foundation quilting...

It's like quilting for people who can't cut straight lines :)

Google it - there are free lessons and templates...

:iagree: This is also know as paper-piece quilting and it is highly addictive. I taught myself to do traditional quilting many years ago, and liked it, but then later discovered the pure fun of paper piecing. I think it would be great for a beginner, but it is definitely not traditional if that's the experience you are after.

Sorry I don't have any current resources to add, but I would think most libraries would have a good selection of books and videos that would enable you to teach yourself. Some good resources have already been mentioned by PP.

And FWIW I'm a fan of modern tools for quilting. Don't get me wrong, I love the look of vintage quilts, but I'm not long on time and patience with my quilting projects. I'm usually working up against some type of deadline (i.e. baby being born and I want to gift a quilt), so the speed and accuracy I get with the modern tools is a plus for me.

I would also suggest Elizabeth Hartman's Practical Guide to Patchwork. This book is new, full of modern projects and very self explanitory. I have met Elizabeth Hartman at the Portland Modern Quilter's Guild and she is very nice. Her weblog is OhFrasson, I think, and very fun.

Eleanor Burns has other themed books as well. She has particularly good step-by-step instructions. Some of her books like this one http://www.amazon.com/Egg-Money-Quilts-Vintage-Samplers/dp/1891776193/ref=pd_sim_b3 will show ways to use the individual blocks as well as assembling the whole quilt. This is particularly nice for beginners, because you might find it easier to get done one or two or three blocks, rather than a whole quilt.

This is a great book. Quilts from the 1930s are my pet project. Eleanor Burns is another favorite here.

As much as I like my Olfa rotary cutters (and I own several, was using one last night), I would recommend you buy this one http://www.amazon.com/Dritz-Pressure-Sensitive-Rotary-Cutter-45mm/dp/B000YZASLM instead. It's MUCH safer for beginners or with children around the house. It's EXTREMELY possible to slice your thumb open with a regular rotary cutter. This Dritz safety cutter works almost as well as unshielded and is SAFE. It costs almost the same as a regular rotary cutter too. I had known someone in a class who cut her thumb open with a regular rotary cutter, and I BEGGED the people in my class to buy the Dritz. Some had already bought another brand. Let's just say they learned the unpleasant way. I only let my dd use the Dritz.

I can't understand from looking at the picture how this is safer. Can you talk to me like I'm 5? :tongue_smilie: DD is always excited to quilt with me but yes, rotary cutters can be dangerous. I currently use this self-retracting Olfa. It has a locking, automatically retracting blade so it poses no risk except when in active use. I would love to know if the Dritz is safer and in what way. And would it be safe enough for DD7 to use (with over-the-top direct supervision, of course)? I don't let her use the rotary cutter yet at all.

I get the catalog from Keepsake Quilting for inspiration, too. Their fabrics are gorgeous!

:iagree: Another good site with a great catalog is Hancock's of Paducah.

For fabric, I don't have a great local source and frequently order from fatquartershop.com. DD and I are counting the days until the Pam Kitty Morning fabric is available, because we are going to make her a new bedroom set with it. :)

thanks everyone for being so helpful. i dont have a particular project in mind. husband got excited when i said i wanted to learn to sew so i have tons of fabric, sewing machine and all kind of needles, pins, etc. but i decided quilting would be a better hobby and more practical for me. i am keeping a eye on this thread and making a list of everything you are saying :lurk5:

thanks everyone for being so helpful. i dont have a particular project in mind. husband got excited when i said i wanted to learn to sew so i have tons of fabric, sewing machine and all kind of needles, pins, etc. but i decided quilting would be a better hobby and more practical for me. i am keeping a eye on this thread and making a list of everything you are saying :lurk5:

Quilting will also use up large amounts of fabric in a short time if you go with the speed tools/techniques and simple patterns and make bed-size quilts....the fabric inventory will go down very quickly :)

I currently use this self-retracting Olfa. It has a locking, automatically retracting blade so it poses no risk except when in active use.

That is the same cutter I have. I keep it locked closed and up high and the kiddos are never to touch it.

I learned rotary cutting in a class - I always use the technique I learned there so my left hand is always flat on the ruler behind the area I am cutting, never beside. I think if someone will not be able to take a class to learn how to use it, it's important to read specifically about how to do it safely and if possible watch a video of some sort. Also there are two things I will not do with the kids around distracting me - ironing and rotary cutting. I only do these when I am alone and can fully concentrate.

I know Fons and Porter sell cutting gloves and anyone who came on their show had to wear the glove while they cut.

Also I remember once watching Alex's show and a guest was not cutting safely and Alex made her stop, demonstrated the correct technique, and then made her do it that way.

I can't understand from looking at the picture how this is safer. Can you talk to me like I'm 5? :tongue_smilie: DD is always excited to quilt with me but yes, rotary cutters can be dangerous. I currently use this self-retracting Olfa. It has a locking, automatically retracting blade so it poses no risk except when in active use. I would love to know if the Dritz is safer and in what way. And would it be safe enough for DD7 to use (with over-the-top direct supervision, of course)? I don't let her use the rotary cutter yet at all.

Good question! I totally forgot Olfa has safety cutters, duh. Here's a link to a video, so the op or anyone pondering this can see the different Olfas.

Mine are the G-class, which they still sell btw. The next on the video are the ones you mentioned. I tried to look at how the blade is covered in the demonstration. For the op, as you can see with the G-class there is a SIGNIFICANT risk of putting that top finger too far forward and slicing it. It's not even so much about rolling over your fingers (which I think most people have the ability to avoid). It's that top finger applying pressure. Or of course just bad habits of where you put your hands.

But anyways, indeed the Olfa resolves that in their safety version. The other thing I was looking at is position of the blade in relation to the guard while cutting. On the dritz safety the blue shield piece actually *moves*. In THEORY you could cut yourself. In reality, you'd have to be ramming it really, really hard.

So no matter what, I think it's best to get a "safety" rotary cutter. They're all about the same in price, whether they have these added features or not. The reviews at the time were better for the Dritz safety than the Olfa Safety, so I went Dritz. They're a little cantankerous with the screws, but then we were doing a LOT of cutting. I had no safety concerns with the 10 and up crowd we had using the Dritz, and I'm not scared if my toddler should *happen* to get a hold of it. When you press it, the blade itself doesn't come forward like I see in the video of the safety Olfa. Instead the shield moves slightly. It means there's not a lot of blade exposed to make contact with.

I'm extremely careful with my sharp things btw. I have a basket and always try to put them there and I threaten my children SEVERELY for consequences if they *touch* them, let alone use them. (This is 10 and under, before I allowed dd to use it.) With a 7 yo, basically I would let them hold the ruler and you cut. Or switch and you hold the ruler and guide them with your other hand while they cut. Totally supervised.

So yes, I think the Dritz might be a *touch* safer than the Olfa, simply because it has less blade automatically exposed while cutting. But you could still cut yourself with the Dritz if you really try.

Good question! I totally forgot Olfa has safety cutters, duh. Here's a link to a video, so the op or anyone pondering this can see the different Olfas.
Mine are the G-class, which they still sell btw. The next on the video are the ones you mentioned. I tried to look at how the blade is covered in the demonstration. For the op, as you can see with the G-class there is a SIGNIFICANT risk of putting that top finger too far forward and slicing it. It's not even so much about rolling over your fingers (which I think most people have the ability to avoid). It's that top finger applying pressure. Or of course just bad habits of where you put your hands.

But anyways, indeed the Olfa resolves that in their safety version. The other thing I was looking at is position of the blade in relation to the guard while cutting. On the dritz safety the blue shield piece actually *moves*. In THEORY you could cut yourself. In reality, you'd have to be ramming it really, really hard.

So no matter what, I think it's best to get a "safety" rotary cutter. They're all about the same in price, whether they have these added features or not. The reviews at the time were better for the Dritz safety than the Olfa Safety, so I went Dritz. They're a little cantankerous with the screws, but then we were doing a LOT of cutting. I had no safety concerns with the 10 and up crowd we had using the Dritz, and I'm not scared if my toddler should *happen* to get a hold of it. When you press it, the blade itself doesn't come forward like I see in the video of the safety Olfa. Instead the shield moves slightly. It means there's not a lot of blade exposed to make contact with.

I'm extremely careful with my sharp things btw. I have a basket and always try to put them there and I threaten my children SEVERELY for consequences if they *touch* them, let alone use them. (This is 10 and under, before I allowed dd to use it.) With a 7 yo, basically I would let them hold the ruler and you cut. Or switch and you hold the ruler and guide them with your other hand while they cut. Totally supervised.

So yes, I think the Dritz might be a *touch* safer than the Olfa, simply because it has less blade automatically exposed while cutting. But you could still cut yourself with the Dritz if you really try.

which do you think is better for a left handed person? because i am just incapable of working properly with my right hand and i can just totally see myself slicing myself up.