Menu

Latin for the K-2 crowd

bluechicken

I have decided to start Latin either this spring or next fall. I need some good recommendations. I will have a 1st grader this spring/fall.

I have looked at Song School Latin and it looks great. Does anyone know if they ever put it on sale or on the homeschool buyers co-op? Of course, I am open to other suggestions as well.

Thanks!

We've done both ssl and prima Latina and definately prefer ssl. We did pl because she was young when we finished ssl & I thought lfc was a little too much but it was really dry & both of us were relieved to finish it & move on to lfc. Had there been ssl2 we would have done that. I also don't think tm is necessary. It's just a reprint of student book with answers in it that you can figure out for yourself. You can live without flashcards too. We made our own.

:iagree:

SSL is awesome. You only need to Student workbook, which is cheaper at Amazon. Make sure to download the (free) coloring pages (over 100 pages, one for each word/phrase) from the SSL website. Some days the kids just color in their latin coloring book (I printed and comb bound them, but you could put them in a 3-ring binder, too) while they sing along with the songs from the CD. I imported them to iTunes, so I can play classical versions (they also have the eccl ones on the CD).

We then moved to GSWL -- short easy lessons and tons of free mp3s on his website (pronunciations as well as lesson info).

FWIW I like to start with a modern foreign language while small children are very receptive to learning living languages. I come to Latin later, at around age 9. Both boys are doing well with Latin at school having started at that age (Calvin is one of the best in his class). They also continue their Chinese and French - they are both fluent in the former and not bad in the latter..

Laura

We started SSL when my oldest was 4. Since she was unable to write in the workbooks by herself we literally just took a year singing the songs and utilizing the free resources on the HeadventureLand website. Now that my dd's writing skills have grown, and she is comfortable writing in workbooks, we started using the workbook. Since she is already comfortable with the songs and has most of them memorized its been pretty easy to breeze through the lessons. I'm amazed at how much she is memorizing (and myself too!)

I did a blog post about incorporating SSL for younger children awhile back. I have been meaning to write an update since we are now actually following the program as it was intended.

I am glad we had some time just playing around with it and learning the songs and inventing some games to go with it.

I also agree that you don't need the Teacher's Manual or the flashcards. We much prefer the free coloring pages from the headventureland website.

We are using SSL as well. I'm using it with my K-er and 3rd grader. We actually started it last year and have been going thru it slowly - we were much more inconsistent last year.

Anyway, as ds8 is in 3rd now, he's able to do more written work. Previously, I thought it was a total waste to buy the TM, as others have said. But this year I discovered that in addition to the answer key, there are also pages in the back with an extra activity for each chapter. Since we didn't do them thru the first half of SSL last year, I've been using some of them as review exercises.

Just wanted to chime in and let you know that the TM is not completely useless as I previously thought. Maybe not worth the $$ for students who aren't writing as well, though.

Just wanted to chime in and let you know that the TM is not completely useless as I previously thought. Maybe not worth the $$ for students who aren't writing as well, though.

Now that my dd is going through the workbook I can see how it might be advantageous to have some extra work if you think your child needs it. However- I am EXTREMELY frugal (read broke!:glare:) in our homeschooling budget right now and in hindsight I would still have preferred to save my money. The subject matter in the workbooks is elementary enough so that even I (with no background in Latin:tongue_smilie:) can easily use their headventureland website and create additional exercises spun off of the workbook. I found it fairly easy to create fun games and dances to go along with the songs and they helped ingrain the vocabulary even more.

However, sometimes homeschooling is about balancing your time and energy and for some people it might be easier to have it ready made in the teacher manual.

However, sometimes homeschooling is about balancing your time and energy and for some people it might be easier to have it ready made in the teacher manual.

For that matter, for extremely frugal situations, or balancing one's time and energy, I'd skip SSL altogether and not do Latin until the dc are older. IMO, SSL is about fun/enthusiasm for the language rather than substance.

We started SSL when my oldest was 4. Since she was unable to write in the workbooks by herself we literally just took a year singing the songs and utilizing the free resources on the HeadventureLand website. Now that my dd's writing skills have grown, and she is comfortable writing in workbooks, we started using the workbook. Since she is already comfortable with the songs and has most of them memorized its been pretty easy to breeze through the lessons. I'm amazed at how much she is memorizing (and myself too!)

I did a blog post about incorporating SSL for younger children awhile back. I have been meaning to write an update since we are now actually following the program as it was intended.

I am glad we had some time just playing around with it and learning the songs and inventing some games to go with it.

I also agree that you don't need the Teacher's Manual or the flashcards. We much prefer the free coloring pages from the headventureland website.

Yes, I should add that I used SSL when Rebecca was 5/6 and Sylvia was a preschooler at the time and SHE learned a ton from it! We did liven things up too, I made a chart for moods (pessime, optime, etc) and put Latin name labels on stuffed animals.

We used Song School Latin last year when dd was in first grade. She loved it. We did get the flash cards and used them often to play games to help memorize vocabulary.

We just started Prima Latina and dd often says that she already knows this or that because she learned it last year. So not only was SSL fun but it is making Latin easier for her this year.

We love SSL. We make up games to go along with the lessons. For example, our most recent two lessons were about parts of the body, and so yesterday I had the kids running around following silly instructions: "Put your auris on a sella and your pes on a fenestra." ("Put your ear on a chair and your foot on a window.") We play "Simon Says" a lot, too. I've also made simple treasure hunts.

Also, for this age, don't miss the

about conjugating amo amas amat. Even my 2yo can chant the conjugation, and my 6yo was excited to figure out that she could now conjugate the verbs they present in SSL. (For example, SSL teaches that do is "I give," but if you know your amo amas amat, you can figure out the whole string of do das dat damus datis dant.)