Menu

Please suggest a book for me

I just finished the Hunger Games trilogy and before that I read the Dragon Girl books. I'm really looking for a fun, light book that is about something happy! I liked the other books, but I want something not so deep and heavy this time around.

Any suggestions?

One of my recent guilty pleasure go-to series for light & quick reads has been the Sookie Stackhouse novels. I wouldn't necessarily say they're 'happy,' but they were light and fun. I otherwise read a lot of epic fantasy series, so vampires seemed a somewhat logical side trip when I wanted something quick and light. :) I have read both the Hunger Games trilogy and The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo trilogy, and I understand wanting something lighter after those. I think they were both great, but the Hunger Games especially seemed to unsettle me (as a parent).

YOung Adult?

Have you read the Shopaholic books? Her attitude might make you nutty (oh, the consumerism and poor decision making), but the books are really light. Bridget Jones's Diary is similar.

Most of the David Sedaris books have very hysterical bits.

The "Stephanie Plum" mysteries by Janet Evanovich always have funny parts. Always. Her grandmother is fantastic.

The "Georgia Nicolson" series by Louise Rennison is also hysterical. It's Young Adult (there is kissing, but no teA) - the "diarist" is a 14 year old girl.

LOL! No, it doesn't have to be YA. I forgot to mention, I'm probably the only person on this planet who does not like vampire books. Didn't like Harry Potter either, but don't hate me!

I'm off to check out these suggestions.

Hunger Games were so disturbing, why did I keep reading them???

Juliet by Anne Fortier was good. A bit of suspense/adventure, but nothing too heavy.

For light and fun, I'd second the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society and Ladies No. 1 Detective Agency. You might want to see if you can get the Ladies No. 1 books as audio books--lots of fun to listen to!

I loved Dragon Tattoo series. Haven't read, nor do I plan reading, The Hunger Games.

These are from my favorite books list. I've only included the lighter and happier books. The less heavy ones.

ABSOLUTE AND ALL-TIME FAVORITES

The Geography of Bliss – non-fiction, very insightful, humorous, light, an easy read

OTHER BOOKS THAT I HAVE LOVED (not in any particular order)

The Five People You Meet in Heaven - if you're in the mood for a very, sweet and easy read - as are all of his books

Can't Wait to Get to Heaven by Fannie Flagg and most of her books - very sweet and light - and quite funny - I would recommend this book more than any on this list

Funny in Farsi - if you need a nice laugh as well as her other book Laughing without an Accent

Books by Maeve Binchy – light, fluffy, but also very accurate about human interactions and relationships

The Tower, the Zoo, and the Tortoise – sweet, humor, and some sadness, very British, just lovely overall

Confessions of a Prairie B*tch: How I Survived Nellie Oleson and Learned to Love Being Hated – some painful stuff, very engaging, entertaining, lots of humor – loved this book - but more enjoyable if you liked the TV series

OTHER BOOKS THAT I HAVE LIKED (not in any particular order)

Dave Barry’s Only Travel Guide You’ll Ever Need – funny, funny, funny

Laughed out loud through this one..

This looks really good. Added to my wish list. :)

Edited by Negin in Grenada

I just finished "Becoming Marie Antoinette"'by Juliet Grey and really liked it. It's the first book of what will be a trilogy.

Like the look of this one. Added it to my wish list. We were recently in Versailles, so reading it will be extra nice.

One of my recent guilty pleasure go-to series for light & quick reads has been the Sookie Stackhouse novels. I wouldn't necessarily say they're 'happy,' but they were light and fun.

I keep wondering if I should try these. Which is the first one? Are they vampire stories? I guess I'm confused that they're light and fun and vampire at the same time. :tongue_smilie:

Ladies No. 1 Detective Agency series

I agree. I like these a lot. Although I need to take a break from them. After reading a few, the dialogue starts to annoy me a tiny bit. I do like them, however.

Most of the David Sedaris books have very hysterical bits.

The "Stephanie Plum" mysteries by Janet Evanovich always have funny parts. Always. Her grandmother is fantastic.

Yes, David Sedaris is funny.

I've ordered the first Stephanie Plum book.

Matched by Allie Condie. (Don't quote me on the spelling of the author's name.)

My dd and I both loved it.

My dd is about to start this.

I'm probably the only person on this planet who does not like vampire books.

No, you're not. I loathed the Twilight books. :glare:

Or, light and happy - how about The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society?

Loved this. :) Forgot to put this on my favorites list. Thanks for the reminder.

Juliet by Anne Fortier was good. A bit of suspense/adventure, but nothing too heavy.

Another add I just added to my wish list.