Menu

French in Action

Please somebody say they have purchased and used this program. I am so lost. I keep thinking I have everything I need only to find out, I do not.

Anyway, it appears I need some sort of audio component to do the workbook exercises. All I can see is a part one and part two for over $200 a piece. I have already spent so much $ [in an effort not to spend too much $ on Tell Me More French :glare:]

Am I stuck? Do I have to buy these? Is there any place I can download like an itunes kind of thing?

Please, please someone would you, could you, help a stressed out lady. :D

Agreeing they are online for free, and often at libraries (but harder to get them in order that way).

But I also wanted to mention that they are videos, not audios. It is the immersion approach, like Rosetta Stone & others, where the primary method of learning is repetitively noticing what a word must mean visually.

Julie

But I also wanted to mention that they are videos, not audios. It is the immersion approach, like Rosetta Stone & others, where the primary method of learning is repetitively noticing what a word must mean visually.

Well, not quite, if she has the written materials, and they're anything like what they have for Destinos (Annenberg's Spanish program). The text has vocabulary lists and written grammar exercises, just like any other standard text. The videos are also nothing like Rosetta Stone, where it asks you snippets of dialog or vocabulary. They are full stories, with context, and then it reviews them more slowly with the important bits written on the screen underneath.

I'd say with the complete materials, it's a much more complete and thorough program than any of those computer immersion type programs.

Just the videos do make a fun supplement to any other more standard grammar-based program which is usually lacking in the audio/visual component. But with the texts, I think it's fairly complete.

Well, not quite, if she has the written materials, and they're anything like what they have for Destinos (Annenberg's Spanish program). The text has vocabulary lists and written grammar exercises, just like any other standard text. The videos are also nothing like Rosetta Stone, where it asks you snippets of dialog or vocabulary. They are full stories, with context, and then it reviews them more slowly with the important bits written on the screen underneath.

I'd say with the complete materials, it's a much more complete and thorough program than any of those computer immersion type programs.

Just the videos do make a fun supplement to any other more standard grammar-based program which is usually lacking in the audio/visual component. But with the texts, I think it's fairly complete.

There are also audio CDs that accompany the text and workbooks. There are 32 CDs for the first 26 lessons.

Ouch, I think I ignited some Rosetta Stone hostility here.

I was only pointing out that the videos are videos, and not audios. And that *watching* them is essential to the program -- you can't just listen. I think watching the videos is even the essence of the program, but I haven't used all the components, just watched the creator's video about his program & used the videos with 2 students.

And yes, the creator is a schoolteacher & uses typical textbook materials. But the component he seemed to feel was missing in typical textbook materials was the immersion method. Hence his videos, and the importance of watching them.

I would question whether they are full stories. The videos remind *me* of Sesame Street, with a couple of strands of running stories or themes but mostly individual segments. The segments will often be about a particular word (then the word in its different forms, building to a phrase etc), and you'll see it thrown out in many ways, sort-of like Sesame Street's "number of the day" (or Rosetta Stone's lesson intro, but we'd better not go there! just looking for examples folks are likely to have seen).

Julie

You can't do the workbooks without it. I ended up buying the cds new, but sometimes you can find them used, and if you can find the old cassette tapes, they ought to be really cheap.

I am finding it to be a fairly complete program - I add real books in French and mainstream French movies - we used to watch them in English with French subtitles, now, in year 4, we watch them in French with French subtitles. The kids are currently reading Harry Potter in french with hardly any problems (although they probably had it half memorized in English first). They have no problem with Le Petit Nicholas books either. Overall I am pleased with their progress, although they are not very good at speaking (my fault for not making them do it) they have good aural and reading skills.

French in Action is a course that is designed to cover four semesters of college French--or four years of high school. In all, there are 52 lessons. Here are the components of the program:

--a text that is used for all 52 lessons

--videos which are available from the Annenberg Foundation (streamed for free) or at some libraries

--Audio lessons which align with the workbooks. The audio lessons are sold as CDs (formerly cassettes which might be available inexpensively) as Part 1 (lessons 1-26) and Part 2 (lessons 27-52).

--Workbooks which have written and oral exercises for each lesson. The student does these exercises as he listens to the audio portion from a CD or cassette. There are two workbooks: Part 1 (lessons 1-26) and Part 2 (lessons 27-52). These workbooks are consumables.

--Study Guides in English which offer tips, insights, and observations that may not be initially clear to an English speaking student. There is a great deal of nuance that needs explaining. Again there are two guides, parts one and two as above.

--Teacher Guides which are perhaps more useful in a classroom situation.

There is a steep initial investment in materials, but if you buy the text and the workbook, audio and study guide for Part One, you have sufficient materials for two years of high school French. Further, if more than one student is going to use the program, you need only buy additional workbooks for the other students.

How the program works: Students watch the video to get the gist of the lesson. Then students listen to an introductory audio portion which repeats excerpts from the video, with pauses to allow the student to echo words and phrases and answer questions. Then the student does the workbook exercises. Some require the audio; others are writing based. As the student works through the lesson, he may want to consult the Study Guide for help.

Each lesson in the text ends with documents, poetry, French comics, etc. The workbook contains exercises with questions on these documents, poems, etc.

French in Action is an immersion based program but, unlike some, grammar work is explained--not expected to be intuitively obvious. French culture is covered in the storyline and in the materials at the end of the chapters.

The videos alone are insufficient. In order to do the workbook lessons, one must invest in the audio portion. If students are doing another French program, they can watch the videos for enrichment.

Feel free to ask any questions.

Jane

Ouch, I think I ignited some Rosetta Stone hostility here.

I was only pointing out that the videos are videos, and not audios. And that *watching* them is essential to the program -- you can't just listen. I think watching the videos is even the essence of the program, but I haven't used all the components, just watched the creator's video about his program & used the videos with 2 students.

And yes, the creator is a schoolteacher & uses typical textbook materials. But the component he seemed to feel was missing in typical textbook materials was the immersion method. Hence his videos, and the importance of watching them.

I would question whether they are full stories. The videos remind *me* of Sesame Street, with a couple of strands of running stories or themes but mostly individual segments. The segments will often be about a particular word (then the word in its different forms, building to a phrase etc), and you'll see it thrown out in many ways, sort-of like Sesame Street's "number of the day" (or Rosetta Stone's lesson intro, but we'd better not go there! just looking for examples folks are likely to have seen).

Julie

Julie, the videos are not intended to be complete lessons. They are only the gist of a lesson that is expanded on the audio CDs and via the aural and written exercises given in the workbooks.

French in Action is a great program. It does move more quickly than a typical French program. My daughters already had several years of exposure to French, using the Calvert School text, the first year of Breaking the Barrier, and reading folk tales. I had heard of French in Action but I thought I'd already tried enough programs--I wasn't interested. Last spring, however, I discovered the free DVD segments online, and we watched some for enrichment. Then, one day while I was shopping at Goodwill, I found a used textbook that accompanied the videos. Looking at the text, I realized that this was a great program. Over the summer, I purchased the following materials:

Workbooks 1 & 2 (3 sets for 3 girls!)

2 audio CD-roms

2 new texts

Instructor's Guide

When we started French with our new school year, my three daughters were all at somewhat different levels in French. The work challenges all three of them (ages 13, 15 & 17) but the youngest has almost caught up to her sisters.

The necessary component to the course are:

online DVDs

text

workbook

audio CD-rom (or CDs or cassettes)

The Instructor's Guide is unnecessary--I never use it.

To save money, buy the textbook used. The older textbook can be purchased for about $4. Although much thinner, it is essentially identical to the second edition. The only difference between the two is that the second edition includes "documents"--additional reading--after each lesson. The documents, while worthwhile, would probably be hard to work through unless you speak French almost fluently yourself. My daughters are able to do most of their French work independently, but I sit down and read the documents with them--not my first language but my second language.

The workbooks add a lot to the course but are essentially useless without the audio component. Yes, the audio is expensive. At least the workbook has an answer key in the back, which makes the Instructor's Guide redundant.

If you can't afford the audio component, you could use the DVDs and text alone--but there will be less reinforcement of topics. For an abridged French in Action course, I would recommend:

free online DVDs

used text

any French grammar workbook (w/AK) that you have on hand or can buy cheaply

Julie, the videos are not intended to be complete lessons. They are only the gist of a lesson that is expanded on the audio CDs and via the aural and written exercises given in the workbooks.

Thanks, Jane, but I realize this. The OP has most of the other components but it seemed like she didn't use the videos and I feel the videos are a core part of the program, i.e. you couldn't really use French In Action as your main French program without the videos. It's possible I was mistaken and she had the videos, and just needed the CDs, but it's the videos that are online, so I thought that part of the conversation could use some clarification? I just tried to help by explaining how essential they are (in my 1st post) and what they are (in my 2nd post).

(And at our house, we're just using FIA as a supplement, as I don't find using classroom textbooks at home to be useful since I don't know French. But all this is beside the point.)

Thanks, Jane, but I realize this. The OP has most of the other components but it seemed like she didn't use the videos and I feel the videos are a core part of the program, i.e. you couldn't really use French In Action as your main French program without the videos. It's possible I was mistaken and she had the videos, and just needed the CDs, but it's the videos that are online, so I thought that part of the conversation could use some clarification? I just tried to help by explaining how essential they are (in my 1st post) and what they are (in my 2nd post).

(And at our house, we're just using FIA as a supplement, as I don't find using classroom textbooks at home to be useful since I don't know French. But all this is beside the point.)

Interesting how you read her post and focused on the videos not be utilized whereas I read the post and saw the need for the audio component. Ah the problems of communicating on a message board.

Be well,

Jane

Sorry ladies,

I was out yesterday and forgot about this post.

What I have:

Textbook

both workbooks

DVDs

What I need, [apparently]:

Audio cassettes/CDs

study guide

Yes we are trying very much to do this program as intended. I just couldn't figure out what was involved back in August/Sept when I was first looking at the program.

Thanks for all the replies. We are a bit stalled until we get the audio portion and I think that perhaps we should consider the study guide as I am more of a grammar intense language person and they are not giving me the opportunity to do that. :tongue_smilie:

• 3 months later...
Sorry ladies,

I was out yesterday and forgot about this post.

What I have:

Textbook

both workbooks

DVDs

What I need, [apparently]:

Audio cassettes/CDs

study guide

Yes we are trying very much to do this program as intended. I just couldn't figure out what was involved back in August/Sept when I was first looking at the program.

Thanks for all the replies. We are a bit stalled until we get the audio portion and I think that perhaps we should consider the study guide as I am more of a grammar intense language person and they are not giving me the opportunity to do that. :tongue_smilie:

Pam--

From what I understand, the study guides to French in Action are only necessary for casual (non-credit) learners who are not using the textbook and workbooks. (Remember, French in Action ran on public television, so some people were using it as "recreational" learners). You may find that without a teacher the study guides are helpful, but they were really meant as a substitute for the textbook. In other words, (I believe) if you have the textbook and workbooks the study guide is not necessary.

Okay, I tried it out again and here's what I found. When I just says "Lesson 1", it moves you to that section of the website- those aren't files. The actual sound files are the ones labeled, for example, Lesson 1 - 01C. Click on a few of those until you get it working, and then it should work on all of them just fine.

Rats....still doesn't work for me, either in Safari or Firefox.

I got the play bar to come up in Explorer, but it doesn't play. Has anyone actually gotten it to play? It says it's "connecting", but it's still at this after 15 minutes.

I wonder if this site is no longer being supported. The fact that it only comes up in Explorer seems to imply that. It's possible it's only working in an older version of Windows Media Player?

There was another site on the web where this was available, but it now needs a password. Possibly the owners of the material didn't like it being available for free.

Has anyone actually gotten it to play?

Yes, I can play them on Windows Explorer. I get the sound bar, and then I click on a lesson, and a sub-lesson, and then I hear talking.

I did update my Exp. this year, but my computer is not new. I can try my dh's brand-new-from-our-son computer later if he turns it on, and compare.

Julie

• 2 weeks later...