Menu

What's with the ads?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

creekland

College acceptances - class of 2012

My daughter applied to grad schools (industrial design engineering) and is waiting to hear from Stanford, Carnegie Mellon, IIT (Illinois Inst. of Technology) and MIT. She's hoping for MIT.

Oldest daughter was accepted at Coastal Carolina University! We should be receiving a letter within the next two weeks and we're hoping there's some offer of financial aid because it's very expensive out-of-state.

Radford University states "decision made" on their website, but no idea what the decision is. We should be receiving a letter in the mail in the "coming weeks".

We probably won't hear from James Madison University (daughter's 1st choice) for another 2 months.

Background .. oldest is graduating from the community college in May with her AA degree and will be entering college as a Junior to complete her Bachelor's in Psychology.

Great Girl just got accepted at Big State U., to her great happiness--the notification came on her birthday, just to make it perfect. She only applied there as she really needs to live at home for at least one more year, maybe two, but is sick and tired of auditing courses and not getting credit for them. If she decides not to go, she'll apply to other places next time around. And her parents will be smarter about the scholarshp/financial aid process. :tongue_smilie:

Great Girl just got accepted at Big State U., to her great happiness--the notification came on her birthday, just to make it perfect.

That really does add a nice touch!!! Congratulations!

Adding Furman here. Middle son found his acceptance there online today!

In a month (or possibly two) he's going to have to decide between Research U (his original first choice), Big State U, or LAC.

Two Research U's left to hear from...

Then financial packages, of course. Finances will matter.

Acceptance packet came from Radford University today for oldest DD!

:party:

Now we're just waiting to hear from James Madison University.

Congratulations to everyone on the new acceptances!

Acceptance packet came from Radford University today for oldest DD!

:party:

Now we're just waiting to hear from James Madison University.

One of my daughter's local friends just transferred to Radford last fall, and she's loving it there.:)

DD has been accepted at her #1 choice. It's a great school, but they only offer need-based fin. aid, no merit-based. We've been through that situation before with our older two and managed to get them through, but we've maxed out our HE loan and don't know how we're going to pay for it. Praying that somehow, some way she'll be able to go.

DS was accepted to Dickinson yesterday. He only hs for one year, but I thought I would add him on this thread, as hs made his transcript a bit unusual.

Congratulations to all! :001_smile:

Therese - best of luck to you. I hope it all works out.

Big congratulations to Therese's daughter and lisabee's son!

Therese, I hope that you can work out the finances somehow for your daughter.

Lisa - Yay!! I'm betting that this is just the beginning of lots of good news for your son.:)

Big congratulations to Therese's daughter and lisabee's son!

Therese, I hope that you can work out the finances somehow for your daughter.

Lisa - Yay!! I'm betting that this is just the beginning of lots of good news for your son.:)

Thanks Kathy - you have always been our greatest cheerleader!! ;)

DS was accepted to Dickinson yesterday. He only hs for one year, but I thought I would add him on this thread, as hs made his transcript a bit unusual.

Super duper big congratulations!!!!!

We've only hsed for 2 years and doing the college applications seemed scary but, I have hope - given your son. You had some great comments on the threads during the application process that really helped our thinking. We are awaiting our "big gun" private college results....unusual transcripts and applications there for sure!!!!!

NC State said yes to my chemical engineer! Accepted and offered entry into the Scholars Program with no application paperwork. Woo Hoo! I like "no more essays" at this point! :thumbup1: Congrats to all families on the fabulous list of acceptances.

Add the University of Rochester to my guy's acceptances. I thought they notified in March, but apparently this year they have early notification in Feb. His came in today. We're visiting UR on Friday, so the acceptance was timely.

UR is one of his top contenders of places to go (oodles of research ops and neuroscience as well as being well known for pre-med) pending the visit and finances.

He wavered on applying to UR due to the weather in Rochester, but now is extremely glad he made the final call to send it in.

Great Girl just got the acceptance notification for the math/science honors program at Big State U.! She's so happy.

Wow, good news for Great Girl! Does the math/sci honors program come with any special privileges or classes?

Add the University of Rochester to my guy's acceptances. I thought they notified in March, but apparently this year they have early notification in Feb. His came in today. We're visiting UR on Friday, so the acceptance was timely.

UR is one of his top contenders of places to go (oodles of research ops and neuroscience as well as being well known for pre-med) pending the visit and finances.

He wavered on applying to UR due to the weather in Rochester, but now is extremely glad he made the final call to send it in.

UR was positively crawling with pre-meds when I was there in the 70's! Have fun on your visit this week.:) And definitely have somebody take you through the steam tunnels while you're on campus. Yes, the weather is often rainy or snowy, but we rarely even knew it since we went from building to building underground.:D

Big Congrats. Likewise here about Rochester in the 70s. With the demise of Kodak, the city could be facing some big challenges which could make for an interesting educational environment. It may be that more r and d dollars will be funneled into research at the university, giving some exciting possibilities.

Just asking- Did your ds look at Case Western? Not what we need here but, I'd like to know what folks thought.

Big Congrats. Likewise here about Rochester in the 70s. With the demise of Kodak, the city could be facing some big challenges which could make for an interesting educational environment. It may be that more r and d dollars will be funneled into research at the university, giving some exciting possibilities.

Just asking- Did your ds look at Case Western? Not what we need here but, I'd like to know what folks thought.

Case Western made my guys very short list, but not his final application list. Once we visited Pittsburgh and he saw he wasn't so much of an urban campus lover (without a defined campus), that gave Case a rather large nick in the con column (based upon hearsay from those who had visited). Then, when he looked at their website he didn't find nearly as much in opportunities for neuroscience. They have cognitive science (or something like that), but it's different and not as extensive (his words).

I do know students who go to Case Western and love it there. They tend to be more into Biomedical Engineering or other Engineering. It's all about fit.

My guy ended up applying to:

University of Alabama

Baylor

Furman

Pittsburgh

U Rochester

WUSTL

He's been accepted to all but WUSTL (they notify in March for regular decision).

His top three at the moment are UR, Furman, and WUSTL. I don't know that there's an order to them at this point. UR and WUSTL are there for the research and top level opportunities. Furman is there due to the small class sizes in even introductory classes (which he loves!), but he has to weigh the loss of great research options (they have some, but for sophomores on and less options). If all come out similar with finances, he's going to have a tough decision to make soon. It'll be his decision - pending finances.

Baylor is likely good, but so far away and without as many research ops in what he's looking for. He never got around to applying to their Honors College as he already had schools closer he liked that he'd been accepted to.

Alabama is nice (and the money is really nice), but not quite up there with the others with options for research in his field or the prestige in the northeast. He would have seriously considered going there anyway (with microbio as his major) if he'd made it into their Computer Based Honors, but he was just waitlisted for that. (They only accept 40 students.) As just another of their many honors students in a large U without his preferred major or research options within it, UA is only likely to be top if his other three aren't affordable. Hopefully that won't happen.

Pittsburgh was lowest on his list after visiting (without visiting UR or Baylor) and dropped into the basement with their homeschooling transcript requirement letter. We never even sent them his top scores to compete for the best merit aid. He got accepted with merit aid anyway (without returning our response to the letter), but with deeper state budget cuts coming and other options - we just seriously doubt they'll be at the top when all packages are in. They do have a nice neuroscience program.

I'm kind of eager to see what he decides. It's all going to be "over" soon. In two more months, he'll know. The time is going to fly by. It already is flying by.

Wow, good news for Great Girl! Does the math/sci honors program come with any special privileges or classes?

UR was positively crawling with pre-meds when I was there in the 70's! Have fun on your visit this week.:) And definitely have somebody take you through the steam tunnels while you're on campus. Yes, the weather is often rainy or snowy, but we rarely even knew it since we went from building to building underground.:D

By the mid-80s, it seemed like everybody was studying optics. Is that still a big thing at UR? Then again, it was terrific for us non-sciency types, as well.

Seconding the tunnels recommendation (although they've been painted and repainted so many times by now...the passage must be only a few feet wide!). And I must add...if you're living in Towers, you get no tunnel. I still have fond (no, really!) memories of clinging to the icy handrail to scale the hill to the cafeteria.

Congratulations to all our scholars. All this good news is so heartening.

By the mid-80s, it seemed like everybody was studying optics. Is that still a big thing at UR? Then again, it was terrific for us non-sciency types, as well.

Seconding the tunnels recommendation (although they've been painted and repainted so many times by now...the passage must be only a few feet wide!). And I must add...if you're living in Towers, you get no tunnel. I still have fond (no, really!) memories of clinging to the icy handrail to scale the hill to the cafeteria.

Congratulations to all our scholars. All this good news is so heartening.

Making note to scratch Towers... :tongue_smilie: We haven't seen them yet, but my guy keeps insisting he can get through winter using the tunnels. I keep telling him I grew up with winters (real winters in upstate NY) so he has the genetics to survive them even if he is a Florida native transplanted to PA at the moment.

It does. Special little seminar classesand the like. An important thing when at a gigantic university with huge amphitheater classes.

Fingers crossed that no-one will want to go to WP and decide to go elsewhere. But, the ROTC route would allow her more scope in her college experience? So big hopes here for that to work out as need be.

It's the year of the perfect storm for academy apps--over 19,000 apps for each academy, plus they're shrinking the size of the brigade/corps a bit. Most kids apply to more than one, so if they get their first choice, they turn down the others. We'll see! I'm grateful she has the ROTC.

My senior isn't a homeschooler any more, but she was homeschooled for grades 3-8, so I hope it's okay if I share her college plans here.

She only applied to one college, UNC at Greensboro. She found out two weeks ago that she got accepted to the Honors college, which includes money toward a semester abroad, and she is a finalist in the Scholars Program, which is the merit scholarship program. The interview process is all day next Monday. She's very nervous because interviewing is a weak spot for her. We're keeping our fingers crossed!

The interview process is all day next Monday. She's very nervous because interviewing is a weak spot for her. We're keeping our fingers crossed!

Congrats! Was the interview today or is it next week? Best of luck to your dd!

DS got an email from his Oberlin rep, who is interested in finding out more about ds's projects. This is ds's first choice, so it is exciting for him that someone noticed him. I am not reading too much into it, but my fear is that there will be no merit from the schools he loves. We need merit. :tongue_smilie:

First acceptance today-finally!! RIT. Ds very happy and though it's not his top choice, he'd be happy to go there. I am SO relieved to have something settled. Still waiting on some others.

Sounds exciting and I wish you all the best I wish I had some good advice... sadly I have yet to teach my first college class, so I really dont have any- just good wishes Hopefully I will be in your shoes here very shortly.

First acceptance today-finally!! RIT. Ds very happy and though it's not his top choice, he'd be happy to go there. I am SO relieved to have something settled. Still waiting on some others.

Woohoo! Great news Catherine! That first one is always a sigh of relief. Congrats to your son!

My senior isn't a homeschooler any more, but she was homeschooled for grades 3-8, so I hope it's okay if I share her college plans here.

She only applied to one college, UNC at Greensboro. She found out two weeks ago that she got accepted to the Honors college, which includes money toward a semester abroad, and she is a finalist in the Scholars Program, which is the merit scholarship program. The interview process is all day next Monday. She's very nervous because interviewing is a weak spot for her. We're keeping our fingers crossed!

Elizabeth! I miss our WTM meetings at Borders! Congrats!! :) Best of luck to your dd in her interview!

~Brigid

Catherine, I have a niece who went to RIT and loved it. Her brother wants to go to RIT, but hasn't heard back. He was accepted to another engineering school near Pittsburgh; I can't remember the name of it. Good luck to your ds.

Elizabeth! I miss our WTM meetings at Borders! Congrats!! :) Best of luck to your dd in her interview!

~Brigid

Thanks, Brigid! I miss our meetings, too. Those were good times!

Congrats! Was the interview today or is it next week? Best of luck to your dd!

DS got an email from his Oberlin rep, who is interested in finding out more about ds's projects. This is ds's first choice, so it is exciting for him that someone noticed him. I am not reading too much into it, but my fear is that there will be no merit from the schools he loves. We need merit. :tongue_smilie:

Thanks, Lisa. The interview is this coming Monday. Good luck to your ds!

Soooo proud of him. I'm sure there are more to come, but fingers still crossed anyways.:)

Thank you for being so supportive! Any news for you? The wait feels so long...

Lisa - We wait, now for the financial news from the schools dd has gotten into. The ones with the best chance of her being able to go (need blind admissions) send their letters out in April.... So we just keep filling out all the forms and keep an eye on that darn mailbox at the end of the driveway!!!

Congratulations to all! It has been encouraging to hear the good reports rolling in even as we wait for word.

DS got his acceptance in the mail today from Catholic University of America (D.C.). He's thrilled, and so are we. Now to wait and see what kind of a financial aid package they offer.