Menu

College acceptances - class of 2012

creekland

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My son is a very, very happy freshman at SCAD. My niece is a very, very happy freshman at SCAD. Submit as much as possible for the most scholarship money. Would she be on the equestrian team? The facilities are amazing! My son is on athletic scholarship, my niece on academic and leadership. I would be happy to answer questions.

My son is a very, very happy freshman at SCAD. My niece is a very, very happy freshman at SCAD. Submit as much as possible for the most scholarship money. Would she be on the equestrian team? The facilities are amazing! My son is on athletic scholarship, my niece on academic and leadership. I would be happy to answer questions.

She will try out for the equestrian team, I not sure what level of competition to expect. :confused:

we are hoping for an academic scholarship. Are leadership scholarship separate, I would want her to apply for one.

Thanks for your help.

Denise-

I will PM you. Don't want to clog this thread with school-specific information. For others though, I do realize I made a mistake and my niece has academic, artistic and leadership scholarships. My son was offered academic (he did not submit a portfolio) but at SCAD students can not combine athletic money with other scholarships. Currently you can combine non-athletic scholarships.

Just heard here - UNCW Early Action. No word about the honors college. We've yet to send in the application. One of Dd's top choices for marine biology. It was just 3 weeks in coming, v. quick, v. nice. We are "dancin' in the dark" over this one.

BTW congrats to everyone so far, and we have our fingers crossed for all the rest of the srs. as well as for ourselves!!! Let's hope for more great news to come Yeah!!!

DS1 (criminal justice)

Accepted at:

Roanoke

U of New Haven

Plymouth State (state backup school)

still waiting on:

Temple

George Mason

SUNY Albany

RIT

DS2 (thinking Business, and not wanting to go to far away)

Accepted at:

Hartwick (w/ lots of money offered - we haven't been there yet, anyone?)

University of New Hampshire

Southern NH University

still waiting on:

Endicott

Stonehill

Sacred Heart

DD (Animal Behavior)

Accepted at:

University of NH (state backup school)

still waiting on:

Canisius

Bucknell

Franklin & Marshall

Update: Ds was accepted to Hope College in Holland MI. (My first choice for him, #2 on his list!) Scholarship info to come next month.

Hope is a really neat school! (Michigan resident here.) If he can get the scholarship money to afford it, I highly recommend the institution.

Faith

I hope NMSF is impressive enough to get scholarship money at your school. 3 of the 4 schools my DS has been accepted for offer nothing for NMSF's :( and it weighs little to them (so they tell me).

Well, actually we are hoping for Finalist status. They sent a letter that he will get their top scholarship if he makes Finalist. When we met with them last spring, they said that he was in the running for their highest scholarship. The only thing that made it even a question was his math score on the ACT and SAT. Not a bad score but significantly lower than the stellar scores on the other sections. I am hoping that the high A he received in his college calculus class will sway any doubts about his math ability.

Ds just got accepted to Willamette with a nice Leadership Scholarship. Woot woot! We've got til the end of the week before we hear if he got accepted into his ED school.

Ellen -- Beloit is a lovely school, one which my ds was going to apply to but decided against at the last minute.

Congratulations to Jenn's and Ellen's sons! And the Moms!

Edited by Jane in NC

Ds just got accepted to Willamette with a nice Leadership Scholarship.

:hurray:

My son recently received the same acceptance and scholarship.

His list currently looks like this:

Whitworth, Trustee Scholarship

George Fox, Presidential Scholarship

Willamette, Leadership Scholarship

Carroll, Presidential Award

Hofstra, Presidential Scholarship

TCU, (scholarship TBD)

Ds has been accepted to his top 2 picks with academic scholarships to both - Gardner-Webb and Montreat. He is waiting until we visit them both again to make a final decision. Montreat is 30 minutes from home, so I am hoping for that one, but trying to keep my mouth shut.

:hurray:

My son recently received the same acceptance and scholarship.

His list currently looks like this:

Whitworth, Trustee Scholarship

George Fox, Presidential Scholarship

Willamette, Leadership Scholarship

Carroll, Presidential Award

Hofstra, Presidential Scholarship

TCU, (scholarship TBD)

We can now add Gonzaga and Knox to his list of acceptances. Both with various scholarships.

Ds was accepted to Illinois Wesleyan University with significant scholarship money. His list:

Beloit College

Bradley University

Hope College

Illinois Wesleyan

He was offered the top scholarships at each of the schools, which will make them about equal (give or take a thousand) as far as our cost. So, now, the decision truly rests on which is the best fit.

Ds was accepted to Illinois Wesleyan University with significant scholarship money. His list:

Beloit College

Bradley University

Hope College

Illinois Wesleyan

He was offered the top scholarships at each of the schools, which will make them about equal (give or take a thousand) as far as our cost. So, now, the decision truly rests on which is the best fit.

Congratulations to your ds :hurray: (and to you! :001_smile:) How wonderful to have all these great choices, and scholarships to boot!

Congratulations to everyone else also on your dc's acceptances! It is exciting to read!

My oldest just completed and submitted all of her applications last week.

She graduates in May with her AA degree from the community college, so she'll have Junior status. She has guaranteed admission to one in-state college -- Radford University.

She has a very good chance of being admitted to her other in-state school -- James Madison University -- too. She has the required GPA, but they want all As and Bs in the core subjects (math, English, history, and science) and she had one C in precalculus -- math has always been her weak area! -- but the admissions office reassured us that one C isn't going to keep her out of the running..which is a good thing, since it's her favorite!

She also applied to Coastal Carolina University in South Carolina. We took a vacation to Myrtle Beach a few months ago and she went on a tour of school, because one of her cousins is applying there and he wanted information, catalogs, etc....and she loved it so much, she decided to apply there, too! The only way she can attend, however, is if they offer her some sort of scholarship or grant money, since it's $28,000 out of state. :willy_nilly:

But she's relieved to have the process over with!

She plans on majoring in Psychology for her Bachelor's degree and then continuing on to graduate school after that. She's looking at either a Masters in Social Work (and becoming an LCSW) or a Masters in Occupational Therapy (she's been attending therapy sessions with her little sister for years and is fascinated with it).

We hope we won't have long to wait for Radford or Coastal Carolina as they have rolling admissions and we should have an answer by the 1st of February. She'll have to wait until the end of March / 1st of April before she hears from James Madison.

Yes, I realize it's a form letter and the chances of them having issues with my guy are pretty slim, but honestly, it's just plain offensive. .

I agree. It's highly offensive. No matter how good my student was, knowing that he was going in on academic probation just because he was homeschooled would be a deal breaker for me.

I hope if your ds decides not to go there, that he will write a letter to them telling them how their policy impacted his decision--for the sake of future homeschoolers.

I agree. It's highly offensive. No matter how good my student was, knowing that he was going in on academic probation just because he was homeschooled would be a deal breaker for me.

I hope if your ds decides not to go there, that he will write a letter to them telling them how their policy impacted his decision--for the sake of future homeschoolers.

He's not going there as their merit aid award isn't nearly as high as others he has, plus it wasn't his top choice for colleges to begin with. When he lets them know (not burning bridges just yet) we will most definitely let them know the main clincher as to why with regards to the letter. I'll copy it and highlight portions for them with my thoughts.

My ds was also accepted to College of Wooster with a nice Dean's scholarship. So he is 2 for 3, with the 2 acceptances being "W" schools -- Willamette and Wooster. Both great choices. Grinnell deferred their decision until April, meaning I'm putting back on my counselor hat and doing the mid year report this week.

Congratulations on all the decisions everyone is reporting! There are some wonderful schools for our kids to choose from.

My ds was also accepted to College of Wooster with a nice Dean's scholarship. So he is 2 for 3, with the 2 acceptances being "W" schools -- Willamette and Wooster. Both great choices. Grinnell deferred their decision until April, meaning I'm putting back on my counselor hat and doing the mid year report this week.

Congratulations on all the decisions everyone is reporting! There are some wonderful schools for our kids to choose from.

Congrats! DS is also applying to Wooster and Grinnell, among others. :001_smile:

Merit Aid offered everywhere EXCEPT George Mason, even the OOS state schools (which I was told didn't offer Merit Aid to OOS students). After the FAFSA & CSS Profile I am WIPED! And it's almost time for midyear reports...

DS1 (criminal justice)

Accepted at:

Roanoke

U of New Haven

Temple

George Mason

SUNY Albany

still waiting on:

RIT

DS2 (thinking Business, and not wanting to go to far away)

Accepted at:

Hartwick (w/ lots of money offered - we haven't been there yet, anyone?)

University of New Hampshire

Southern NH University

Endicott

Sacred Heart

still waiting on:

Stonehill

DD (Animal Behavior)

Accepted at:

University of NH (state backup school)

Canisius

still waiting on:

Bucknell

Franklin & Marshall

@MOOOOOM

Congratulations on the acceptances!

On a side note: I live in VA, and I'm super curious what merit aid George Mason is giving to in-state students. Its pretty popular. I will say budgets are tight in Va, and state schools are tightening their belts. I haven't heard accepted in-state students mention anything about getting any kind of merit awards.

Accepted to his top choice school! Working on scholarship application now, won't know the results of that until early March.

How exciting! Big congrats to you and your ds!! :hurray:

Merit Aid offered everywhere EXCEPT George Mason, even the OOS state schools (which I was told didn't offer Merit Aid to OOS students). After the FAFSA & CSS Profile I am WIPED! And it's almost time for midyear reports...

Oh my word! Three at one time? You are my hero! Congrats. Keep us updated. :001_smile:

Congrats to all the students & parents so far!!!

DS received acceptances before Christmas to 2 of his 3 EA schools, both with very nice academic scholarships:

TCU

SMU

UChicago deferred until spring, but that's not a list-topper for him.....

Oldest daughter was accepted at Coastal Carolina University! We should be receiving a letter within the next two weeks and we're hoping there's some offer of financial aid because it's very expensive out-of-state.

Radford University states "decision made" on their website, but no idea what the decision is. We should be receiving a letter in the mail in the "coming weeks".

We probably won't hear from James Madison University (daughter's 1st choice) for another 2 months.

Background .. oldest is graduating from the community college in May with her AA degree and will be entering college as a Junior to complete her Bachelor's in Psychology.

Great Girl just got accepted at Big State U., to her great happiness--the notification came on her birthday, just to make it perfect. She only applied there as she really needs to live at home for at least one more year, maybe two, but is sick and tired of auditing courses and not getting credit for them. If she decides not to go, she'll apply to other places next time around. And her parents will be smarter about the scholarshp/financial aid process. :tongue_smilie:

• 2 weeks later...

Adding Furman here. Middle son found his acceptance there online today!

In a month (or possibly two) he's going to have to decide between Research U (his original first choice), Big State U, or LAC.

Two Research U's left to hear from...

Then financial packages, of course. Finances will matter.