Menu

College acceptances - class of 2012

creekland

I know some have mentioned some of these already as rolling admission schools tend to let applicants know quickly, so...

Middle son got his Alabama acceptance letter in today. I guess I really will have to adjust to just having one son at home next year (yea, and bummer). I think that leaves 6 more schools to go (if he applies to them all).

Feel free to add as we each share our joys! We (collective) ought to have people adding to this all the way till April 1st I would think.

Let's all celebrate!

Edited by creekland

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yay!! Roll on Crimson Tide!! It must feel great to have that first acceptance.

My ds is leaning towards applying early decision to his top choice, and definitely will apply to 2-3 back ups via early action. We should have some decisions in before Christmas. It is just nail biting time until then at least for me -- he seems unfazed by it all!

The one school that practically offered him admission during his interview sadly didn't manage to sell themselves to him. I don't know why not -- I liked it fine! It was Lawrence up in Appleton, WI.

Dd received an acceptance letter from her back up school yesterday. (a very small LAC) It came w/a scholarship offer (more than 2x higher than their avg awards) that would cover over 50% of the total expenses making it cheaper than in-state at our public universities She is not a student w/high test scores, but neither are most of their applicants. Her scores are middle/avg. There are middle of the road schools that really want our middle of the road hard workers. ;)

We're madly working on apps to get the top two picks in ASAP--need to get early music audition dates. I'm hoping hoping hoping we'll have good news from one of them come December! If not, thenwe'll try round 2 in the spring... :001_unsure: So jealous of y'all who already know!

Well, dd got her acceptance letter today for her top choice, Lynchburg College. Now we'll have to see if she receives any scholarship $$ so that she can attend.

She received a scholarship letter in the mail this weekend for 50% of tuition. Now to fill out more paperwork to see if she qualifies for any grants.

Congratulations everyone!!! We're still trying to get our apps in.

We've got it down to working on one more (U of Rochester), plus Alabama's Honors College App.

Then he has scholarship apps to work on. I'm not sure it'll end for a while. :tongue_smilie: At least with those I THINK my part as Guidance Counselor providing info ends. My part as "nagging mom" probably won't end. Nagging might be too harsh to be honest. Effective scheduling guru sounds better.

We ended up dropping Case Western from our "will apply" list. My guy spent a bit of time on their website yesterday deciding if he wanted to keep them (and U of R) on his list. U of R made the cut and Case didn't. The difference was that Case doesn't have neuroscience or microbio majors and focuses quite a bit on engineering more than other sciences. Rochester does have the majors and has oodles of research options with them.

So, I think our "final" will or has applied list is:

(Alphabetical order)

Alabama (accepted)

Baylor

Furman

Pittsburgh

U of Rochester

Washington U in St Louis

It's tempting to add more, but I remind myself that he can only attend one place and he's happy with his options. Where he goes will depend on financial packages as well as acceptances especially since he wants med school down the road (at least at this point he does). All non-merit aid possibilities were dropped from our list (including Ivies). Six appears to be his number.

We ended up dropping Case Western from our "will apply" list. My guy spent a bit of time on their website yesterday deciding if he wanted to keep them (and U of R) on his list. U of R made the cut and Case didn't. The difference was that Case doesn't have neuroscience or microbio majors and focuses quite a bit on engineering more than other sciences. Rochester does have the majors and has oodles of research options with them.

Creekland, sometimes I our Ds's think very much alike! The budding zoologist dropped Case off his "long list" due to the same reasons. He was looking through their website and felt the exact same thing. For him, it was the inabillity to specialize within his biology major in zoology with the same rigor as MSU, U of M, U of Wisconsin (Madison), and Cornell. Oh and something about their animal research lacking in exotic animal emphasis. Previous to that, I thought Case was definitely on our visit list.

Great minds think alike! :001_smile:

Faith

Don't forget those mid-year reports! (The fun never ends.)

Regards,

Kareni

Uh, yeah... Thanks for the reminder. (sigh) :glare: (Written with total humorous intent!)

Creekland, sometimes I our Ds's think very much alike! The budding zoologist dropped Case off his "long list" due to the same reasons. He was looking through their website and felt the exact same thing. For him, it was the inabillity to specialize within his biology major in zoology with the same rigor as MSU, U of M, U of Wisconsin (Madison), and Cornell. Oh and something about their animal research lacking in exotic animal emphasis. Previous to that, I thought Case was definitely on our visit list.

Great minds think alike! :001_smile:

Faith

Case does seem to be the ideal school for various engineering majors including Biomedical Engineering, but not as much variety otherwise. However, I just saw (via college confidential) that Case calls their "Neuroscience" major "Cognitive Science." Why can't colleges agree on names??? I suppose I should have him look at that now, but I'm not sure he's open to changing his mind at this point.

I wanted to add dd's acceptances to the list. She is planning on majoring in nursing (going for BSN), followed by graduate work in midwifery.

At this point, dd has been accepted to:

University of Alabama

University of South Florida

University of Alabama Birmingham

East Carolina University

She is still waiting to hear from:

University of Pittsburgh

Drexel

Florida State

No rejections to date:)

DD is VERY excited. She was planning on applying to UNC-CH and Appalachian State as well, but since she received the acceptance to U. of Alabama, she decided not to. Alabama is her 1st choice and offers a full ride plus (provided she earns finalist in the National Achievement competition, which is likely since she is a semifinalist and has met all of the other requirements).

We are feeling a certain level of relief at this point. I grossly underestimated how tedious and stressful college application season would be. We finally see a dim light at the end of this long tunnel!

Cheers to our wonderful high school seniors!

AROTC scholarship! Dd found out yesterday that she has an Army ROTC scholarship for her top choices! This takes a LOT of pressure off of waiting on West Point and Annapolis.

Pressure being off is awesome. Middle son has his letter of guaranteed free tuition for 4 years (including any tuition increases) to Alabama and it has us considering dropping Pittsburgh since, between the two, he prefers Alabama even though it is farther away. Pittsburgh has been losing things we've sent :glare: and then just sent us a letter saying they might not recognize our homeschool diploma, and while they'd let him take fall classes, they might not let him sign up for spring term if they end up not being ok with it. :glare: It's a form letter (so probably doesn't mean much in our case), but right now, when all other schools we've been dealing with are bending over backwards to encourage my guy and then some, it's just really offensive. I could see it if he were a marginal candidate for admissions, but he isn't. And, we weren't terribly impressed by our visit there (for Pre-med).

One less round of scholarship applications seems pretty appealing right now - esp since he has a nice safety school in the bag. Having the pressure off is so helpful! I just have to get some time to talk with him to see if he's ok with withdrawing his application. If it were just me, it'd be a no-brainer.

Congrats (to all)!

. Pittsburgh has been losing things we've sent :glare: and then just sent us a letter saying they might not recognize our homeschool diploma, and while they'd let him take fall classes, they might not let him sign up for spring term if they end up not being ok with it. :glare: (to all)!

And they expect a student to choose to go there???? Uh, sorry, you aren't really a student.:confused:

Christine

Pressure being off is awesome. Middle son has his letter of guaranteed free tuition for 4 years (including any tuition increases) to Alabama and it has us considering dropping Pittsburgh since, between the two, he prefers Alabama even though it is farther away. Pittsburgh has been losing things we've sent :glare: and then just sent us a letter saying they might not recognize our homeschool diploma, and while they'd let him take fall classes, they might not let him sign up for spring term if they end up not being ok with it. :glare: It's a form letter (so probably doesn't mean much in our case), but right now, when all other schools we've been dealing with are bending over backwards to encourage my guy and then some, it's just really offensive. I could see it if he were a marginal candidate for admissions, but he isn't. And, we weren't terribly impressed by our visit there (for Pre-med).

One less round of scholarship applications seems pretty appealing right now - esp since he has a nice safety school in the bag. Having the pressure off is so helpful! I just have to get some time to talk with him to see if he's ok with withdrawing his application. If it were just me, it'd be a no-brainer.

Congrats (to all)!

Wow! Is the school trying to guarantee they lose a stellar student?

BTDT...we dropped a place off dd's list when they kept losing paperwork, sending form letters that weren't close to what we were being told in person, etc. followed by hints from students that the registrar's office is a disaster and getting signed up for classes is "crazy, nuts" (their words). This just did not seem like a good plan for a pre-med student. Medicine is bad enough without that kind of headache!

I'm with you...Alabama is not a fall back school...it's got a great rep for pre-med. I'd be inclined to drop Pittsburgh as well. Hope your talk with ds is favorable. It's nice to breathe freely! :001_smile:

Faith

And they expect a student to choose to go there???? Uh, sorry, you aren't really a student.:confused:

Christine

This is the big deal with us. I seriously doubt they'd have any problem keeping my guy at the school as he's a serious student and will do well, but, I just don't even want the hint that they could do something. Why can't they make a final decision NOW on whether or not our type of transcript is ok? Why do they have to wait until after a student is accepted, attends, then decide? And what a waste if a student is denied!

Wow! Is the school trying to guarantee they lose a stellar student?

BTDT...we dropped a place off dd's list when they kept losing paperwork, sending form letters that weren't close to what we were being told in person, etc. followed by hints from students that the registrar's office is a disaster and getting signed up for classes is "crazy, nuts" (their words). This just did not seem like a good plan for a pre-med student. Medicine is bad enough without that kind of headache!

I'm with you...Alabama is not a fall back school...it's got a great rep for pre-med. I'd be inclined to drop Pittsburgh as well. Hope your talk with ds is favorable. It's nice to breathe freely! :001_smile:

Faith

I understand that mommy transcripts need to be substantiated at some schools - esp higher level ones. However, if the As in his cc classes (for which they transfer credit with a C), the 5 on his AP Stats test, and the upper 99th percentile ACT score don't substantiate it enough for them to tell us now, uh, what will?

Yes, we're dealing with a large semi-state school, but Alabama is even a larger state school and they flat out told us he was admitted - to the Honors College - before he even applied. (He did HAVE to apply to both to make it formal.) Exactly none of the private schools he's applying to (all with higher stats than Pitt) have had issues with our substantiation as it stands.

Yes, I realize it's a form letter and the chances of them having issues with my guy are pretty slim, but honestly, it's just plain offensive. They ought to be able to tell by our address that we live in PA and PA requires an evaluator (one of the questions is whether or not your state requires an evaluator - if so - good, if not - even more is required). It's a PA school! Don't they know our own homeschooling laws? Can't they sort form letters by addresses and/or stats?

The older I get and the more experience I get from other places, the less I care to deal with homeschool unfriendly places - esp when they told you they were homeschool friendly in the beginning. To me, this isn't homeschool friendly! But, we're letting kiddo decide where he goes (depending on finances), so I'll see what he thinks about it. We'll probably make a decision next week - just to have a "cooling off" period.

So disappointing to hear about Pitt's dealings with your ds. Is Penn. State this way too? Ds. is thinking of the Penn State-Jefferson BS/MD program.

My guess is all state related schools (Pitt, Penn St, and Temple) will be similar, but it's just a guess. Penn St and Temple never got beyond our initial look due to every dr we talked with telling us Pitt was better for my guy's plans (research or med school).

I'll start a different thread where I'll type in the letter. It should be public domain of sorts since it's a form letter. I don't want to tie up this thread. You can see if or how it might apply to you.

Yes, we're dealing with a large semi-state school, but Alabama is even a larger state school and they flat out told us he was admitted - to the Honors College - before he even applied. (He did HAVE to apply to both to make it formal.)

How did they tell you he would be admitted to the Honors College before application? Is he NMSF?

How did they tell you he would be admitted to the Honors College before application? Is he NMSF?

Alabama's Honors College is different than others. It is based upon SAT/ACT scores and GPA only - and applying - as some students don't want to be in it even if they qualify - it's not mandatory. It's not competitive like some other schools. Since my guy has the GPA and the ACT score, they were able to tell him he'd be accepted to it if he applied.

They were correct. He applied to UA (regular) first, got accepted extremely quickly, then did the Honors College application and got his acceptance to that via e-mail in less than 24 hours. With his acceptance to the U in general, they reminded him to fill out the application for the Honors College if he wanted it. They also sent his merit award package in the mail BUT reminded him he still had to officially apply for it - the letter said it was guaranteed upon receipt of his application - and successful completion of his senior year (of course).

No, my guy is not NMSF (sigh). He had a watch/clock issue that messed his timing up on the first math portion making him miss completing 3 questions. Any one of those would have given him the score he needed. He would have been NMSF if we'd lived in AL. ;) His ACT score is quite high, however - high enough for guaranteed full tuition, but he has to compete for the full ride scholarships. We'll know more about those in Feb if I recall correctly.

Alabama's Honors College is different than others. It is based upon SAT/ACT scores and GPA only - and applying - as some students don't want to be in it even if they qualify - it's not mandatory. It's not competitive like some other schools. Since my guy has the GPA and the ACT score, they were able to tell him he'd be accepted to it if he applied.

They were correct. He applied to UA (regular) first, got accepted extremely quickly, then did the Honors College application and got his acceptance to that via e-mail in less than 24 hours. With his acceptance to the U in general, they reminded him to fill out the application for the Honors College if he wanted it. They also sent his merit award package in the mail BUT reminded him he still had to officially apply for it - the letter said it was guaranteed upon receipt of his application - and successful completion of his senior year (of course).

No, my guy is not NMSF (sigh). He had a watch/clock issue that messed his timing up on the first math portion making him miss completing 3 questions. Any one of those would have given him the score he needed. He would have been NMSF if we'd lived in AL. ;) His ACT score is quite high, however - high enough for guaranteed full tuition, but he has to compete for the full ride scholarships. We'll know more about those in Feb if I recall correctly.

It's scary that something as simple as an un-synchronized watch can blow your chances on the one-shot deal which is the PSAT! My ds tried to take it this year as a sophomore, but although he was pre-registered, they didn't have a test for him. The school admitted that he had pre-registered, but insisted that the college board hadn't sent them enough tests. (I really think they messed up, not the college board). Obviously they gave the tests to juniors first, then seniors, and there were non left for sophomores. It was unsettling and although it didn't count for anything, next year when the stakes are high, we'll be going back to the school where dd took the test.

Anyway - PSAT aside - it sounds like your son has done GREAT!

It's scary that something as simple as an un-synchronized watch can blow your chances on the one-shot deal which is the PSAT! My ds tried to take it this year as a sophomore, but although he was pre-registered, they didn't have a test for him. The school admitted that he had pre-registered, but insisted that the college board hadn't sent them enough tests. (I really think they messed up, not the college board). Obviously they gave the tests to juniors first, then seniors, and there were non left for sophomores. It was unsettling and although it didn't count for anything, next year when the stakes are high, we'll be going back to the school where dd took the test.

Anyway - PSAT aside - it sounds like your son has done GREAT!

Yeah, my Public Service Announcement to all who are taking the PSAT is to make sure their time-keeping plan is set with the clock being used. It is definitely frustrating that it happened, but such is life.

Your school should NOT have given PSAT tests to seniors before sophomores if they had to limit test takers. The test does NOTHING for seniors. Even as a practice SAT, the results come too late for them to be useful for the real SAT for college apps. Your experience would really, really frustrate me! And I agree that it is likely to be someone at your school who made the mistake - not college board.

Dd got first acceptance. Just to the local big U, she has not heard about honor's stuff yet but, I am ready to start crying already. Not ready for both kids gone!!! When the first one left, I spent a whole month cleaning the house and the yard. Not sure what I will do this time. Dh promises to put me on a plane to......

Dd got first acceptance. Just to the local big U, she has not heard about honor's stuff yet but, I am ready to start crying already. Not ready for both kids gone!!! When the first one left, I spent a whole month cleaning the house and the yard. Not sure what I will do this time. Dh promises to put me on a plane to......

Make him keep the promise. I know when we empty our nest I'm going to need a vacation first - then I might need to work full time at school or somewhere. We'll see.

Add Pittsburgh (Honors College) to middle son's acceptances. It definitely came as a surprise since we haven't sent back a response to their homeschooling letter. We were planning to withdraw that application this weekend due to the letter! Now we'll see what happens with finances and possibly keep them in consideration pending what they require and $$.

I'm happy to add to dd's list of acceptances:

University of Pittsburgh: Direct access into nursing program, honors college acceptance, scholarship info. to follow

Drexel University: Direct access into nursing, AJ Drexel Grant of $22,500 per year

DD is still sticking with University of Alabama as her #1 choice...I don't think there is anything that will sway her at this point. She is in the process of applying for the University Fellows Experience right now.

The only school we are waiting to hear from is Florida State, which begins sending first notification after December 1st.

Congrats to everyone!

dd received an acceptance letter from Florida Atlantic University. Yeah! We sent out 7 applications and this is the first to respond.

I think FAU is about 2nd or 3rd on her list of favorites and 1st on min. (It has all the basic criteria she wants and is In-State Public:001_smile:) Her top 2 favorites are both out of state private. :glare:

We're doing happy dances on the ceilinng.

Ds 2 was just accepted ED to the school he has dreamed of going to since he was in the 8th grade -- Webb Institute.

It's an unusual school -- it's a top-ranked engineering school that has one major -- naval architecture/marine engineering.

And it is SMALL -- about 80 students total.

Much rejoicing here! Happy dance! :party:

Edited by Gwen in VA

Ds 2 was just accepted ED to the school he has dreamed of going to since he was in the 8th grade -- Webb Institute.

It's an unusual school -- it's a top-ranked engineering school that has one major -- naval architecture/marine engineering.

Wow! Congrats to you and your son, Gwen! :cheers2:

And good job to the other Moms who are reporting on acceptances!

Many congratulations to all of you!!!!! What great timing with Thanksgiving and all....

Brenda

dd received an acceptance letter from Florida Atlantic University. Yeah! We sent out 7 applications and this is the first to respond.

I think FAU is about 2nd or 3rd on her list of favorites and 1st on min. (It has all the basic criteria she wants and is In-State Public:001_smile:) Her top 2 favorites are both out of state private. :glare:

Out of state private ended up less expensive for my oldest. It can happen. ;) Congratulations on that first acceptance! It's always special!

Congratulations! It's really nice when a dream can happen!

I think I'll stop referring to my oldest's college as "very small." At roughly 1000 students it's rather large comparatively. ;)

Acceptance letter arrived for small LAC I had my sights set on before plans changed. I was offered their highest academic scholarship ($12,000 for commuters/$15,000 for residents) and was invited to join their Honor Program which comes with another scholarship ($1,500). They only select about 30 students each year for the Honors Program, so I was pretty surprised.

Acceptance packer for CC I will be attending in the Spring came. Actually, it just came today so I will call Monday to set up an appt. to register for classes. :001_smile:

Acceptance letter arrived for small LAC I had my sights set on before plans changed. I was offered their highest academic scholarship ($12,000 for commuters/$15,000 for residents) and was invited to join their Honor Program which comes with another scholarship ($1,500). They only select about 30 students each year for the Honors Program, so I was pretty surprised.

Acceptance packer for CC I will be attending in the Spring came. Actually, it just came today so I will call Monday to set up an appt. to register for classes. :001_smile:

Congratulations, Stephanie!:party:

Brenda

Rejoicing with you! Congratulations!:hurray:

Geneva called with an acceptance and scholarship offer, so we are done. Two kids, homeschooled from birth -- except #2 spent a few months in a private school, where she decided she was about 2-3 years ahead academically, and why she graduating at 17 -- accepted to decent schools with decent scholarships.

By the Grace of God alone,

I am done.

(Okay, we have to finish schooling 12th grade, but then I'm done.)