Menu

If you don't think ETC is a complete phonics curriculum...

melbotoast

I think it's a fine program. Two of mine have used it and are extremely strong readers, one has just learned to read using it and the other is only 2. When I taught first grade the special ed teachers loved it. There are lots of opinions out there. :001_smile:

...what is it missing? I have seen this mentioned several times and am wondering what I am missing out on. I am actually using several other things in combination with ETC but I don't want to miss anything important/helpful.

Are you talking about using just the ETC books (like 1-8) to teach reading?

If that is what you are asking, then, no, I wouldn't take that approach. Why? Pacing mostly. Kids typically learn to read at a faster pace than that. I have had kids go from reading cat to Philadelphia and chandelier w/in 3-4 months. A reading program (like SSRW) with built in readers and workbook can help give a bigger picture of the pace that earlier readers can progress.

If you are talking about spelling.....maybe. They address the simplest phonics rules.

I sort of use ETC to reinforce what they already know, not to teach them something new. I have used them intermittently for spelling, but they go through books quite quickly.

Since I am not sure exactly what you are asking, I'm not sure what to address.

I agree with the PP - I used BOB Books to teach READING and ETC to reinforce the lessons more formally. I waited a bit, as do many people, because it's handwriting based, and many kids can read before they have the coordination to write. Nevertheless, I'm using it as a complete phonics / spelling program (I quiz my dd on the words on a separate page, to make it more "spelling-y") and love it dearly!

My older one was slow to learn to read. She really did learn to read at same the pace she went through ETC, 2-4 pages a day. We even did one of the "half" books (book 4.5), because book 4 is a little challenging. She probably could have skipped book 8, because she was reading confidently at that point, but I figured what the heck.

My second taught herself to sight read (*sigh*), so I'm systematically going through ETC with her because I want her to slow down and learn how to decode words.

Yes, there were things that ETC didn't cover, and um, no, I can't remember what they are. Sorry! But I do recall realizing it as my older daughter read aloud to me. I noticed words here and there that she didn't learn to decode in ETC, but she was able to read them just fine. I figure we'll eventually cover those phonics topics in our study of spelling.

I'm using ETC to start naturally teaching dd the spelling rules, as it's nice and gentle and almost independent (well, it is independent but I need to be there to remind her to do it instead of coloring & drawing hair on the pictures, etc :lol:). Then I'm following up with AAS a ways behind ETC, so that the words she's seen spelled then gain meaning and rules. For instance, she's read words like "duck" before, but in ETC it talked about how "-ck" says "k" at the end of a word, and she practiced writing the words that end in "-ck." Then later, we learned in AAS that it's "-ck" at the end if a short vowel precedes it. Then we got to practice that in various words & sentences throughout the week. Layers and practice, layers and practice.

Edited by LittleIzumi

I'm referring to using ETC (the workbooks) as a phonics/reading program. I have seen some people say they use it as their phonics program, while others say they use it for only as a supplement, as it is not a complete program.

That is a good point about being able to adapt the pace. We just recently began using ETC because I felt like DS needed more practice in some areas.

We have used a lot of different things, including Progressive Phonics, an old set of McOmber phonics readers, Elizabeth's (from the board) concentration game, library books and other stuff I've found on the internet. I guess what I am wondering is what a boxed phonics curriculum has that I might not.

Pacing mostly. Kids typically learn to read at a faster pace than that. I have had kids go from reading cat to Philadelphia and chandelier w/in 3-4 months. A reading program (like SSRW) with built in readers and workbook can help give a bigger picture of the pace that earlier readers can progress.

That sounds about like what we do. Both girls learned to read with ETC, but now with dd7 she is reading at a higher level, but ETC makes her consider the rules and makes sure she is not "guessing."

In the beginning ETC is all we used besides stepped readers from here and there.

Hmm... I guess it depends. I don't think it is complete without the teacher's manual. With the manual it seems pretty complete for phonics. We also read little books (like Bob books) in addition, though, and do writing as well. I'm only on ETC 1, so I don't know if it doesn't cover something it should.

So far I think it is plenty for phonics, but I combine it with PAL for a full reading/writing program.

I think ETC is missing the reading component. I used it as a supplement and appreciated the rules it taught, but kids need to be reading to learn to read. Also, a lot of kids do well with different types of learning. I don't think I had any kids that would have done well with just completing worksheets.

There's an ETC teacher's manual? What's in it?

I think it's fine as a standalone. But I agree it's better for reinforcing than for first teaching - at least until you get into the later volumes, when, if a kid missed a less common rule, it'll be good for catching it or first teaching it.

Although we use as a supplement, I do think it could be used as a complete program. My son just needs extra instruction to really solidify learning.

It helps that he thinks the pictures and sentences are funny so getting him to do the extra work isn't hard.

In addition, I like the reading comprehension bit. He has a VERY hard time with this and it's simple for him to look at the picture and then pic which sentence is correct.

I think it's enough for my 6yo, for whom reading comes pretty naturally. However, sometimes I do pair the lessons with readings from progressivephonics.com, which are free and fun.

Jessica

Thanks for the idea I have been using ETC for about a month now but have been on the look out for something that I can use along with ETC.

I signed up with the site about a year ago but forgot about it until you mentioned it :D.

Edited by dyana17