Menu

Please help me....I'm cooking challenged.

Let me say up front that I am *not* a cook. I despise cooking, being in the kitchen, I'm not good at coming up with meal plans, and I have never frozen a meal for future use in the 11 year that I've been married. Yes, I'm pathetic. I just DO NOT enjoy anything to do with cooking.

That being said....I want to get better at it.

I want to start by preparing some meals to use in the future, especially after baby is born.

I went to the Plan To Eat website and I'm currently using their free trial. It looks pretty good and it might just help me out. I've saved some meals to the planner on there and wanted to ask a few questions about it.

For one....here comes a stupid question....how do I go about freezing and thawing the meals? For instance, I have stuffed manacotti shells as one of the meals. After making it, do I let it cool before putting it in the freezer container? And what sort of container should I use? Are the Ziploc freezer bags sufficient or will everything get freezer burn? Should I use a different container? How long can I freeze things for? And then, when it comes time to eat them, how do I thaw them? Put them in the fridge? On the counter? For how long?

I also have chili, lasagna soup, potato soup, shepherds pie, and slow cooker BBQ pork (for sandwiches) in my online planner. Can soup be frozen and saved? And the BBQ pork....wouldn't it be sort of dry when I thaw it out?

And veggies....if I fix frozen or canned veggies, can I freeze them again to use for later? There are veggies in the shepherds pie. And I thought of seasoning some green beans so all I would have to do is reheat them. Do things that were previously frozen freeze well again?

Seriously....I'm pathetic, I know. I do have other things that I'm good at LOL. :lol:

Let me say up front that I am *not* a cook. I despise cooking, being in the kitchen, I'm not good at coming up with meal plans, and I have never frozen a meal for future use in the 11 year that I've been married. Yes, I'm pathetic. I just DO NOT enjoy anything to do with cooking.

I want to start by preparing some meals to use in the future, especially after baby is born.

I went to the Plan To Eat website and I'm currently using their free trial. It looks pretty good and it might just help me out. I've saved some meals to the planner on there and wanted to ask a few questions about it.

For one....here comes a stupid question....how do I go about freezing and thawing the meals? For instance, I have stuffed manacotti shells as one of the meals. After making it, do I let it cool before putting it in the freezer container? Yes-you'll want to cool meals before freezing them, otherwise you'll be forcing your freezer to work double time.And what sort of container should I use? I like glass baking dishes so the shells are ready, but you can also freeze them on a cookie sheet (covered with waxed paper) and then once they are frozen you can pop them into a bag.Are the Ziploc freezer bags sufficient or will everything get freezer burn? I've found the Ziploc bags to work well, but not for long-term storage. But, I don't normally have cooked ahead meals hanging out for long. I'm far too lazy of a cook to do all the work and let it sit in the freezer.Should I use a different container? How long can I freeze things for? And then, when it comes time to eat them, how do I thaw them?I don't normally thaw frozen meals, but bake them frozen and allow some extra time in the oven. Put them in the fridge? On the counter? For how long?

I also have chili, lasagna soup, potato soup, shepherds pie, and slow cooker BBQ pork (for sandwiches) in my online planner. Can soup be frozen and saved? Many soups freeze really well, but not cream soups. They get...funny. They taste fine, but look weird. You could always make the base and freeze it and then cream it when you heat it.And the BBQ pork....wouldn't it be sort of dry when I thaw it out?I would think it would be fine. I've done BBQ pork, but I usually put in plenty of BBQ sauce since my kids don't really like the taste of pork. :001_huh:

And veggies....if I fix frozen or canned veggies, can I freeze them again to use for later? There are veggies in the shepherds pie. And I thought of seasoning some green beans so all I would have to do is reheat them. Do things that were previously frozen freeze well again?This I haven't tried.

Seriously....I'm pathetic, I know. I do have other things that I'm good at LOL. :lol:

I'm not much for cooking, either. I try to avoid it when at all possible. :tongue_smilie: I'm sure someone with more experience will be of more help than me.

Edited by RebeccaS

Well, I think the answers to your questions really depend on what exactly you are cooking. I agree about the soups. Non-creamy soups do freeze well. I've frozen chicken noodle and beef vegetable soups with very good results. I don't thaw soup- I just dump the block in the pot and heat slowly.

A casserole, like lasagna, I would freeze in the glass dish, if possible. Or in a disposable tin baking tray, then I would thaw overnight in the fridge and just stick it in the oven in the dish you froze it in.

I don't know about refreezing vegetables after you've cooked them. I haven't done it, but I don't think they'd taste so good.

I'd help you with cooking questions, but I don't own a deep freeze, so not a clue on the planet about freezing meals :lol:

Now, if you'd like some suggestions for quick, easy, economical meals that you can throw together, I'm you're girl!

One big hint...if you don't have a crockpot, GET ONE!! :lol:

I'd help you with cooking questions, but I don't own a deep freeze, so not a clue on the planet about freezing meals :lol:

Now, if you'd like some suggestions for quick, easy, economical meals that you can throw together, I'm you're girl!

One big hint...if you don't have a crockpot, GET ONE!! :lol:

Throw some meal ideas out there Imp! I'm pretty good at making $ stretch, too, but we all need some fresh inspiration now and then...

:bigear:

Throw some meal ideas out there Imp! I'm pretty good at making $ stretch, too, but we all need some fresh inspiration now and then...

:bigear:

Ok, first of all, I love my crockpot for ease, and economics. You can get a cheap cut of meat, throw in some broth, veggies, season, and have a falling apart tender meat for supper. Seriously, I can buy a roast for $12 (keep in mind, I'm in Canada, so prices tend to be higher here) some broth, potatoes and carrots, and we'll eat for 2 days. I usually do beef stroganoff the 2nd day with it...Take 2 cans of mushroom gravy, (I add in any left over gravy from the night before too), a cpl of tbs of ketchup, tbs of worchestire sauce, several good shakes of garlic powder, and left over roast. Heat through. Before serving, add in sour cream. I go by sight and taste, so I can't help with actual measurements on that one.

Serve over egg noodles or rice.

I also throw in chicken thighs (I prefer skinless) a can of spaghetti sauce, and whatever veggies and seasonings appeal to me. Leave that on low for the day, then serve over pasta.

One of my family's fave side dishes is potato balls. I use leftover mashed potatoes, and grate cheddar and add in garlic powder. On a plate, I crush soda crackers. In a bowl, beat an egg with a tbs of milk added. Make balls of mashed potato mixture, roll in egg mix then in crumbs. Cook on a cookie sheet at 350 until light brown. We serve w/sour cream.

I'm really big on getting at least two meals out of one, sometimes three.

For example, I'll do chicken one night, then use the leftovers to do chicken pot pie, which is another two nights, or chicken soup/stew (again, 2 nights).

Soup/stew is a huge boon in the winter. I do several different kinds, a cream potato soup, a hamburger soup, chili, chicken and turkey. Served with corn bread usually, b/c my family loves that stuff.

Honestly, most of the meals I make cost me less than probably $4 a person, at least until I've had to go gf :glare: Still resenting the crud out of that and what it does to my budget.

You've gotten good advice so far. Some things to note:

Cooked potatoes get mushy/mealy after a trip through the freezer. So does pasta if it's in a liquid.

If you are making soups (such as vegetable and chicken noodle) make the main part of the soup, but don't add potatoes or pasta. Add those to the pot as you reheat the soup and they'll cook quickly enough.

BBQ pork will be fine in the freezer. Freeze it with the juices and fat that is produced when cooking and it will be pretty moist.

You can freeze in your casserole dishes, lined with foil. Then when frozen, pop the foil and food out, wrap well and put it back in the freezer.

Freezing portion sized foods in lined muffin cups works well too, then you can toss them all in a ziplock.

I am a crock pot queen. I would also check out the books, Fix It and Forget It. There are several versions available but I like the first one best for my family. Lots of super simple 3-6 ingredient (sometimes more with seasonings) meals you can put in the crock pot.

Ok, first of all, I love my crockpot for ease, and economics. You can get a cheap cut of meat, throw in some broth, veggies, season, and have a falling apart tender meat for supper. Seriously, I can buy a roast for $12 (keep in mind, I'm in Canada, so prices tend to be higher here) some broth, potatoes and carrots, and we'll eat for 2 days. I usually do beef stroganoff the 2nd day with it...Take 2 cans of mushroom gravy, (I add in any left over gravy from the night before too), a cpl of tbs of ketchup, tbs of worchestire sauce, several good shakes of garlic powder, and left over roast. Heat through. Before serving, add in sour cream. I go by sight and taste, so I can't help with actual measurements on that one.

Serve over egg noodles or rice.

I also throw in chicken thighs (I prefer skinless) a can of spaghetti sauce, and whatever veggies and seasonings appeal to me. Leave that on low for the day, then serve over pasta.

One of my family's fave side dishes is potato balls. I use leftover mashed potatoes, and grate cheddar and add in garlic powder. On a plate, I crush soda crackers. In a bowl, beat an egg with a tbs of milk added. Make balls of mashed potato mixture, roll in egg mix then in crumbs. Cook on a cookie sheet at 350 until light brown. We serve w/sour cream.

I'm really big on getting at least two meals out of one, sometimes three.

For example, I'll do chicken one night, then use the leftovers to do chicken pot pie, which is another two nights, or chicken soup/stew (again, 2 nights).

Soup/stew is a huge boon in the winter. I do several different kinds, a cream potato soup, a hamburger soup, chili, chicken and turkey. Served with corn bread usually, b/c my family loves that stuff.

Honestly, most of the meals I make cost me less than probably $4 a person, at least until I've had to go gf :glare: Still resenting the crud out of that and what it does to my budget.

Thanks! A peek into someone else's supper helps me re-invent mine.

Those potato balls sound good...:)

Before you start stocking up, you might want to consider just figuring out a weekly routine of easy meals. Then if you get ambitious you can expand.

Sample:

Sunday: Roast beef. Super easy. Take a good beef roast, stick a thermometer in it, put it on a rack, and cook it in the oven until it's the medium rare beef temperature. Make baked potatoes at the same time. Serve with salad.

Monday: One of those 'packet' recipes, like for chili. Serve with rolls and canned or frozen corn.

Tuesday: Roast chicken. Super easy. Just follow the instructions in a general cookbook. Serve with steamed green beans, and roasted potatoes.

Wednesday: Pasta. Boil noodles, put on the sauce from a bottle, top with parmesan cheese. Serve with salad.

Thursday: Beef sandwiches using the leftover roast beef. Serve with sliced tomatoes in salad dressing.

Friday: Leftover cold chicken. Serve with twice baked potatoes and raw carrots.

Saturday: Canned pork and beans, salad, and some kind of rolls or biscuits.

See, my feeling is that this is so easy that you won't need to store meals, and so fast that you never feel overwhelmed. BTW, the chili freezes beautifully in widemouthed pint sized canning jars, and then you can just let it thaw in the fridge and warm it on top of the stove.

And veggies....if I fix frozen or canned veggies, can I freeze them again to use for later? There are veggies in the shepherds pie. And I thought of seasoning some green beans so all I would have to do is reheat them. Do things that were previously frozen freeze well again?

Other people have responded already, but I just wanted to address this part in particular. I regularly make freezer meals to bring to some elderly folks. What I do for the veggies is begin with frozen vegetables from the grocery. While they're still frozen, add whatever seasonings you prefer (I usually use s&p and garlic), and a tiny bit of olive oil or butter. Then I seal them up in a ziplock and toss them in the freezer rubber-banded to a main dish. When it's time for that meal, thaw the veggie bag with the main dish, and then either toss them in a pan and saute them for a few minutes over high heat, or pour them in a bowl, cover with a plate, and microwave them till hot. I have never frozen previously-canned veggies, 'cause, you know...what would be the point? :confused: :D

You are NOT alone! I could have written the above. Just yesterday I was thinking that all in all I am a pretty good mom...if I could just make progress on this cooking thing!!

Just chiming in to say I am also the same....

My goal when I go into the kitchen is to get out as soon as possible! I DO know how to cook and I do it well. I just really do not like to. There are SO many other things that I want to be doing and cooking takes up WAY too much time.

This thread has inspired me!! I used to have the books recommended. I would say if you are going to try to cook a lot at once, start small. Take one or two meals and don't cook a lot of those to freeze and store, just make a few at once and see how you like the results. I made that mistake and ended up with lots of freezer meals that we didn't enjoy and some that were just wasted because we did NOT want to eat them.

But, I am inspired to get to it again... just with a bit more common sense.