Menu

Book a Week in 2011- week thirty nine

Happy Fall, my darlings! Today is the start of week 39 in our quest to read 52 books in 52 weeks. Welcome to everyone who is just joining in, welcome back to our regulars and to all who are following our progress. Mr. Linky is all set up on the 52 books blog to link to your reviews. The link is in my signature.

52 Books blog - Banned Books Week - the last week in September is dedicated to celebrating the freedom to read and the dangers of censorship. The American Library Association has plenty of information and highlights the most challenged classics and why. Celebrate your freedom to read this week and read a challenged book.

It's also the beginning of Fall - what are your fall reading plans?

Link to week 38

I just finished reading Amanda Quick's historical paranormal Quicksilver of her arcane society series. Book 2 in her Looking Glass Trilogy. Fits both author and title for my a to z challenge. This past week I read Karen Rose's mystery thriller You Belong to ME and J.R. Ward's Crave (book 2 in Fallen Angels series.)

This week I plan on reading An Instance on the Fingerpost by Iain Pears, an historical art mystery.

"The year is 1663, and the setting is Oxford, England, during the height of Restoration political intrigue. When Dr. Robert Grove is found dead in his Oxford room, hands clenched and face frozen in a rictus of pain, all the signs point to poison. Rashomon-like, the narrative circles around Grove's murder as four different characters give their version of events: Marco da Cola, a visiting Italian physician--or so he would like the reader to believe; Jack Prestcott, the son of a traitor who fled the country to avoid execution; Dr. John Wallis, a mathematician and cryptographer with a predilection for conspiracy theories; and Anthony Wood, a mild-mannered Oxford antiquarian whose tale proves to be the book's "instance of the fingerpost." (The quote comes from the philosopher Bacon, who, while asserting that all evidence is ultimately fallible, allows for "one instance of a fingerpost that points in one direction only, and allows of no other possibility.")"

It's been a couple of weeks since I participated, so I'm not certain where I left off, but this week I read 101 Things I Hate about Your House (James Swan). It suffered from a lack of both substantive and copy editing, which may be a comment about the publisher (HC 1) or on the state of publishing in general. It was also a silly book that gave me nothing new or bold to think about in terms of home decor. Hand towels? Soap? Really?

The "Girls Rule!" Book Club is doing A Tree Grows in Brooklyn (Betty Smith), a re-read (five? six? more? times now) for me. This old-fashioned favorite still works, and though I've been reading it slowly, I will finish this afternoon.

Before I head to bed, I will also have finished DMZ: Volume 9: MIA (Brian Wood), which, if I remember correctly, took quite a critical drubbing but which I have enjoyed; and before the week is out, I will have finished The Leftovers, Tom Perrotta's (Little Children, The Abstinence Teacher) latest "suffocating anesthetic of the suburbs" take on the aftermath of a rapture-like event. Reader reviews are somewhat mixed on this one, but I think it's worthwhile, if not his best.

By the way, I think this recurring thread is the reason The Night Circus ended up on my book stacks of reproach (a.k.a. on the nightstand).

Robin, I so look forward to this weekly thread and am grateful to you for starting it. :D :grouphug:

:iagree:

I, too, look forward to this thread each week. :)

Thank you, Robin, for your faithfulness in keeping it updated each week!

And thank you, Negin, for the *reminder* to be grateful - and to say so!

Well, I finished Elswyth Thane's "Williamsburg Series" this week, concluding with volume 7:

#59 - Homing.

I miss these characters and wish there were a volume eight - but if there were, then I'd wish for a volume nine . . . :D Anyway, I am so glad I took the time to reread this series.

I am now about to finish:

#60 - Angels in the ER: Inspiring True Stories from an Emergency Room Doctor, by Robert D. Lesslie, MD. While I am finding interest in the happenings of his ER life, I am disappointed in that, based on the title, I was expecting something different . . . I thought it would have a more *spiritual* focus, perhaps some *unanswerable* or *unable to account for* situations. Rather, it seems his angels in the ER are the staff - the nurses, interns, etc. No problem with that analogy (if that is indeed what he means ...), but the title is misleading, imho.

Not sure what's up next - I have whittled my stack to eight choices - and they can't all be "next"! :D

Robin, also thank you for reminding us about Banned Books Week. Very good to know. Can't believe it's that time of year already. The year is flying by OR I'm just getting older. ;)

thank you, Negin, for the *reminder* to be grateful - and to say so

You're sweet and you're most welcome. :)

#60 - Angels in the ER: Inspiring True Stories from an Emergency Room Doctor, by Robert D. Lesslie, MD. While I am finding interest in the happenings of his ER life, I am disappointed in that, based on the title, I was expecting something different . . . I thought it would have a more *spiritual* focus, perhaps some *unanswerable* or *unable to account for* situations. Rather, it seems his angels in the ER are the staff - the nurses, interns, etc. No problem with that analogy (if that is indeed what he means ...), but the title is misleading, imho.

I hear you.

Not sure what's up next - I have whittled my stack to eight choices - and they can't all be "next"!

That's always hard. I've spent the past 2 days going through my wish list on amazon - decluttering the list and organizing it. In the comments section, I added in who recommended a particular book or who loved one, etc. I have one right up there on the list that you recommended - the letters written in the Depression-era one. :)

I had a Wodehouse Week. I read Author! Author!, a book of letters to a writer friend. Lots of fun and plenty of good advice about writing. And The Most of Wodehouse, a giant collection of short stories and one novel.

Next week: the graphic novel memoir Persepolis and maybe my giant Albion book!

Edited by dangermom

It's so nice to know that after being AWOL from the boards for a couple of months that this thread will be here each Sunday afternoon! I have found many great reads thanks to this thread.

I'm currently reading Eoin Colfer's new noir mystery, Plugged. It is as funny and fast paced as the Artemis Fowl books, but definitely not for the kiddies. I just finished another funny novel, Agent to the Stars by John Scalzi. The plot is wonderful -- an alien race wants to make first contact with Earth, but they figure the best means to do so would be by first securing representation by a Hollywood agent, someone who could manage their image. This one was on audio with the bonus treat being that it was read by Wil Wheaton, who you Trekkies know as Wesley Crusher on Star Trek Next Generation!

Balancing out the fun and silliness is A Brief History of Time, which I'm about half way through.

My ds and I decided to read aloud by candlelight during the big San Diego power outage a few weeks ago, and our author of choice was HP Lovecraft. We read At the Mountains of Madness, about an ill fated expedition to Antarctica. It is a slow moving narrative but has some amazingly evocative prose. It seems cliched now, but it is classic horror.

I also finally read The Woman in White, a title and author (Wilkie Collins) I first learned about several years ago from some WTM regulars. A very delightful read. A friend lent me Snow Flower and the Secret Fan. I loved the research and accurate depiction of the lives of women in historical rural China. But the climatic plot point was disappointing, something you'd get on a Lifetime movie of the week.

I know many of the regulars on Book a Week aren't fans of audio books, but I have to give a big plug to David Attenborough's Life on Air. I'm sure his memoir is as good a read in print form, but the audio version has the extra bonus of his reading it. What a terrific voice, great pacing, nicely dry humor. What a fascinating life.

Negin, your book looks interesting. I think I will put it on my TBR list. Thanks!

I finished "A Duty to the Dead" by Charles Todd. This is the first book that I have read by this author but I enjoyed it so much that I will be reading more by them.

Book #47--the fourth Harry Potter book. I think the title is Goblet of Fire.

Like all of his books, this was so funny. I am smiling just thinking about the fact that I've had the pleasure of reading it.

And yes, I also love this thread - thanks!

I've just finished book No. 33 which was The Seventh Victim by Susan Kelly. I read it over 10 years ago, and I've thought about it over the years, and finally tracked it down on Abe Books. It's set against the backdrop of a series of convictions in England of IRA terrorists which were subsequently overturned (The Birmingham Six, The Guildford Four, The Maguire Seven). The novel sets out the ficitonal story of a young Irish single mother falsely accused and convicted of a pub bombing. It's the sort of book I always enjoy - an absorbing story which offers something to thinking about beyond the story itself, and with a satisfying ending.

I'm still busy with The Botany of Desire - I've finished reading about the apple and the tulip, and am just starting the section on marijuana. The book meanders all over the place, bringing in science, history, mythology and personal experience. It's fascinating.

Can anyone recommend a fun classic to listen to on audio book? I loved Around the World in Eighty Days and The Three Musketeers. I then tried Le Morte d'Arthur but I listen to audio books while I drive, or garden, or walk, or in bed, so I want something easier to listen to, something that is fun rather than work. Suggestions?

After Negin's timely & lovely reminder, I will chime in too, saying THANK YOU to all of you, from Robin to everyone else for the great recommendations, honest reviews, & fun discussions. This is my *favorite* thread on the boards. :D :grouphug:

Robin, thanks also for the reminder about Banned Books Week.

http://www.bannedbooksweek.org/

http://www.ala.org/ala/issuesadvocacy/banned/bannedbooksweek/index.cfm

Here is the Banned Books Week YouTube Channel. You can submit your own video too.

FYI, here is a list of books Challenged or Banned in 2010/2011:

http://www.ala.org/ala/issuesadvocacy/banned/bannedbooksweek/ideasandresources/free_downloads/2011banned.pdf

From the list, I think I may choose Slaughterhouse-Five (I'm a huge Vonnegut fan, yet have never read this one) & Snow Falling on Cedars (one of those 'I've-been-meaning-to-read-it-for-awhile-now-and-just-haven't-gotten-around-to-it-books') as my 'challenged/banned' books to read this time.

In the meantime, I'm currently reading The Rule of Four, which seems to sort-of be a mix of The Da Vinci Code and The Secret History. BTW, this one is BOOK 52 for me this year!!! :party: (Last year, I didn't meet the 52 books goal, so I'm pleased that I've managed it -- or at least, almost managed it!)

Books read as of July 2011:

32. The Reluctant Entertainer

33. A Curable Romantic

34. A Reliable Wife

35. Living the Simple Life

36. The Music of Chance

37. The Tower, the Zoo, and the Tortoise

38. Clear Your Clutter with Feng Shui

39. The Book of Jhereg

40. The Lost Symbol

41. Storm Front

42. The Clutter Cure

43. Simplicity Parenting

44. Madame Tussaud

45. The Map of Time

46. The Somnambulist

47. The Island of Lost Maps

48. The Adventurer's Handbook

49. Garden Spells

50. Dracula The Un-Dead

51. The Gold Bug

Stacia's Challenge/2011 Goodreads

Edited by Stacia

I read "The Patron Saint of Plagues" which was one of those futuristic, dystopian books. I hate stuff like that so I don't know why I bought it home from the library. Somehow I found it strangely compelling. :confused:

I also read a book about psychic pets. I love psychic stories. :lol:

Rosie

Negin, your book looks interesting. I think I will put it on my TBR list. Thanks!

I finished "A Duty to the Dead" by Charles Todd. This is the first book that I have read by this author but I enjoyed it so much that I will be reading more by them.

Book #47--the fourth Harry Potter book. I think the title is Goblet of Fire.

Julia, yes, I'm enjoying it.

A Duty to the Dead looks very good also.

I loved all the HP books and look forward to someday re-reading them (for the 3rd time!). I love HP so much, that I have a whole board dedicated to it on my pinterest page. :D

This is my *favorite* thread on the boards.

:iagree:

I'm currently reading The Rule of Four, which seems to sort-of be a mix of The Da Vinci Code and The Secret History.

Stacia, I've often wondered as to whether I'll like Rule of Four or not. I loved Da Vinci Code.

this one is BOOK 52 for me this year!!! :party: (Last year, I didn't meet the 52 books goal, so I'm pleased that I've managed it -- or at least, almost managed it!)

Great job! :grouphug: :D

I've reluctantly decided to have my personal goal be 26 books per year. I'm not thrilled about this at all. Two reasons:

1. time - I guess I could make the time, but I am getting more and more busy - aren't we all, I guess.

2. main reason: $$$ - the lack of a decent library here - I simply can't afford to buy 52 books per year. 26 is hard enough. No paperback swap to this part of the world. :confused: Nothing like that.

Oh well, at least I can do 26. I've already attained that goal for 2011.

In the meantime, I'm currently reading The Rule of Four, which seems to sort-of be a mix of The Da Vinci Code and The Secret History. BTW, this one is BOOK 52 for me this year!!! :party: (Last year, I didn't meet the 52 books goal, so I'm pleased that I've managed it -- or at least, almost managed it!)

]

Stacia, I keep seeing this book around and have been curious about it. I am interested in your thoughts after you read it. Also, congratulations on reading 52 books! This is a lofty achievment! :001_smile: I have read 46 so far but now that school has started, the reading has become slower so I don't know if I will make the 52. Anyway, I am doing the happy dance for you. :D

This week I plan on reading An Instance on the Fingerpost by Iain Pears, an historical art mystery.

Oh, I have that one on my shelf, waiting on me to read it! Looking forward to your review....

I'm reading The Tower, the Zoo, and The Tortoise. Liking it a lot so far.

I thought that was a very sweet book. Quite a bit of quaint, funny stuff along with sweet sadness.

By the way, I think this recurring thread is the reason The Night Circus ended up on my book stacks of reproach (a.k.a. on the nightstand).

:lol: I know what you mean....

It's so nice to know that after being AWOL from the boards for a couple of months that this thread will be here each Sunday afternoon! I have found many great reads thanks to this thread.

Hi, Jenn! Good to see you back on here again. Your posts have been missed!

Stacia, I've often wondered as to whether I'll like Rule of Four or not. I loved Da Vinci Code.

I actually picked this book based on one of dangermom's posts a couple of weeks ago. (Thanks, dangermom!) On her blog, she had a listing to pick a 'random bestseller'. (Here's her post if you want to see the method for finding one.) At this point, I forget what year (maybe 2004?) the random generator picked for me, but The Rule of Four was one of the books listed for that time.

I will post more after I finish reading it. So far, I'm liking it.

Great job! :grouphug: :D

I've reluctantly decided to have my personal goal be 26 books per year. I'm not thrilled about this at all. Two reasons:

1. time - I guess I could make the time, but I am getting more and more busy - aren't we all, I guess.

2. main reason: $$$ - the lack of a decent library here - I simply can't afford to buy 52 books per year. 26 is hard enough. No paperback swap to this part of the world. :confused: Nothing like that.

Thanks! I can totally understand your reasoning, Negin. If I didn't have a good library system nearby, I'd be up the creek too. I rarely buy books for myself & I heavily depend on the library for finding my reading materials. 26 is still an awesome goal. So many adults don't read books for the most part. I think I read somewhere that many adults read fewer than 5 a year. So, 26 is a lot in today's world.

Stacia, I keep seeing this book around and have been curious about it. I am interested in your thoughts after you read it. Also, congratulations on reading 52 books! This is a lofty achievment! :001_smile: I have read 46 so far but now that school has started, the reading has become slower so I don't know if I will make the 52. Anyway, I am doing the happy dance for you. :D

Thanks! When my dc were really little, I barely managed ten or so books a year. As they've grown, I've steadily increased my reading time again. I didn't make the goal last year (& kind of thought I wouldn't make it this year). I'm surprised I have. The cool part is that I wasn't reading just to make the number, but that as I devote more & more time to reading (& get more & more dependent on having my reading time), I'm finishing more & more books. (Did I use 'more' enough in that sentence or should I use it one more time? ;):tongue_smilie:)

Ibefore the week is out, I will have finished The Leftovers, Tom Perrotta's (Little Children, The Abstinence Teacher) latest "suffocating anesthetic of the suburbs" take on the aftermath of a rapture-like event. Reader reviews are somewhat mixed on this one, but I think it's worthwhile, if not his best.

I also finished The Leftovers this week. It was an interesting view of what is already (for me, anyway) a bizarre concept.

And I always enjoy the way he creates his characters, even the best of whom have some flawed aspect to their personality.

This week I'm reading The Art of Fielding

Oh, I'm so sorry, Negin. :grouphug: That would drive me crazy!

Our own Amira has blogged quite a bit about the value of e-readers for people in countries with few library resources. Kind of like how cell phones enable so many people without telephone infrastructures to communicate and do business, she says that e-readers can bring books to people without libraries. Maybe you could save up for one? I have found lots of free e-books out there, so there's quite a bit to read without spending yet more money. The free ones are mostly older and out-of-copyright, and even more are low-demand and cost ~$1 or so.

I'm reading Goliath http://www.amazon.com/Goliath-Leviathan-Scott-Westerfeld/dp/1416971777/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1317065078&sr=8-1 which is going to be a holiday gift for one of my kids (they'll all want it, I think, but I'm leaning toward my ds). It's the last book in the Behemoth trilogies. Not great lit, but Behemoth was the first book of that length ds had ever read willingly.

I'm still reading a book I posted a week or two ago on The Myth of the First Three Years. It's the kind of book you read a bit at a time.

I added this to my wish list. I assume that it's funny - something I always enjoy. :)

Yes, it is funny.

I'm still busy with The Botany of Desire - I've finished reading about the apple and the tulip, and am just starting the section on marijuana. The book meanders all over the place, bringing in science, history, mythology and personal experience. It's fascinating.

This is in my top five this year so far.

:party:

Equally Awesome! You set a goal and reached it.

My bookshelves are overflowing so if you see anything on my completed list you are interesting in reading, let me know I'll send it your way.

Robin, I so look forward to this weekly thread and am grateful to you for starting it. :D :grouphug:

Yes! Definitely something I look forward to each week. Thanks to all of you!

I finished the non-fiction Bella Tuscany:The Sweet Life in Italy by Frances Mayes.

I really enjoyed this book (along with her Under the Tuscan Sun). Not only did it leave me with a HUGE longing to travel to Italy, it also left me inspired to garden more, cook more, and take on a renovation project :)

Hi All~

It's been a rough couple of weeks! My dad died on Thursday and I haven't been feeling well since.

I did read The Sugar Queen by Sarah Addison Allen last week. This is my second book by her so far and I really like her books. Fun, light, etc. A very good escape.

Right now I am reading Embrace Me by Lisa Samson. I'm on chapter 5 or so and really enjoying it.

I have to catch up on writing down my books but I think I'm right on schedule for 52 in 52!:D

:iagree: I too loved these books. Now you just need to rent the movie Only You with Marisa Tomei and Robert Downey Jr. and then you'll REALLY REALLY want to go to Italy. :D

Oooh, thanks! I'll have to check Netflix. It may be the closest I get to "seeing" Italy anytime soon...

And, I just found out there is a movie version of Under the Tuscan Sun with Diane Lane---I'd like to see that as well.

I finished "A Duty to the Dead" by Charles Todd.

I think I'll try to find this one in the library - looks interesting.

In the meantime, I'm currently reading The Rule of Four, which seems to sort-of be a mix of The Da Vinci Code and The Secret History. BTW, this one is BOOK 52 for me this year!!!

Well done on reaching The Goal! Adding The Rule of Four to my list, too.

$$$ - the lack of a decent library here - I simply can't afford to buy 52 books per year. 26 is hard enough. No paperback swap to this part of the world.

I do not miss that aspect of living overseas! But at least in Oman there were plenty of English-speaking expats, and a decent second-hand bookstore. A local academic bookstore also provided a community service by allowing people to get Amazon UK books posted to their shipping agent in the UK, then pay a small fee for processing in Oman. Of course, now there is Book Depository, which makes living in library-less places slightly more cost-effective, if by no means cheap.

It's been a rough couple of weeks! My dad died on Thursday and I haven't been feeling well since.

:grouphug: So sorry to hear of your loss.

Nikki

Edited by nd293

I just finished L'Engle's Camilia. It's YA- I really like it. Good plot and character development. It's only her 4th book but she puts tons of references to astronomy in it. Love that:001_smile:. She's not my favorite word smith but I love the ideas she toys with-kwim?

I'm also reading The ARt and Craft of Storytelling by Nancy Lamb. It is challenging me to look at what I'm reading with an eye to observing various details and giving me boatloads of info for my creative writing class.

It looks interesting. Is it any good?

Also, your moniker mean little Hexe? Not that I have a clue what Hexe means.

Little witch. ;) It's a nickname from when I was little.

The book was interesting for the most part. There were some things I knew, and others that kind of went over my head. The whole space bending stuff left me :001_huh:. However, I now know what a liger and tigon are. :D

So, does reading my 5th in a row gluten free cookbook count? :tongue_smilie:

Julia, just wanted to mention that I really liked it. As Stacia mentioned, very sweet, some sadness, and some humor all mixed in.

I actually picked this book based on one of dangermom's posts a couple of weeks ago. (Thanks, dangermom!) On her blog, she had a listing to pick a 'random bestseller'. (Here's her post if you want to see the method for finding one.) At this point, I forget what year (maybe 2004?) the random generator picked for me, but The Rule of Four was one of the books listed for that time.

Stacia, thanks for this link. Will check it out.

I can totally understand your reasoning, Negin. If I didn't have a good library system nearby, I'd be up the creek too. I rarely buy books for myself & I heavily depend on the library for finding my reading materials. 26 is still an awesome goal. So many adults don't read books for the most part. I think I read somewhere that many adults read fewer than 5 a year. So, 26 is a lot in today's world.

Yes, I read that also. That many read less than 5 or so. Gosh, that would be like torture for me. Most adults that I know IRL are like that.

On a separate note, Negin --- your new avatar (well, it's not super new anymore is it) is still throwing me off. :lol:

:lol: Sorry ...

I finished The Kitchen House this past week and really liked it a lot. The supporting characters were really outstanding. My review is here.

The Kitchen House looks very good. Added it to my ever-growing wish list. :D

Do yourself a favor, :grouphug:, watch Tale of Two Cities instead and feel no guilt. :D This is a fabulous one. Hope you find the library copy, however. There have been many Charles Dickens stuff - where so far, I've only seen the movie. Sometimes, although this totally goes against my way of thinking, with Dickens, it has helped many to see the movie first. I couldn't for the life of me get into Martin Chuzzlewit. Kept trying and trying. Finally, saw the DVD and we loved it.

Oh, I'm so sorry, Negin. That would drive me crazy!

Our own Amira has blogged quite a bit about the value of e-readers for people in countries with few library resources. Kind of like how cell phones enable so many people without telephone infrastructures to communicate and do business, she says that e-readers can bring books to people without libraries. Maybe you could save up for one? I have found lots of free e-books out there, so there's quite a bit to read without spending yet more money. The free ones are mostly older and out-of-copyright, and even more are low-demand and cost ~$1 or so.

Thank you so much. I have a Kindle and love it. Never thought I would. Most of the free books, however, are not books that I like very much. The ones that I love and really want to read are still quite costly on Kindle.

Yes, it is funny.

Good to know. Thank you.

Equally Awesome! You set a goal and reached it.

My bookshelves are overflowing so if you see anything on my completed list you are interesting in reading, let me know I'll send it your way.

Robin, thanks ever so much. I may take you up on your very kind offer before any trips to the U.S. That would cut down on shipping costs. Since we put everything in a barrel. If you were to mail them to me, I'd have to pay you a lot for postage.

My dad died on Thursday and I haven't been feeling well since.

:grouphug: You've been in my thoughts and prayers a lot.

I do not miss that aspect of living overseas! But at least in Oman there were plenty of English-speaking expats, and a decent second-hand bookstore. A local academic bookstore also provided a community service by allowing people to get Amazon UK books posted to their shipping agent in the UK, then pay a small fee for processing in Oman. Of course, now there is Book Depository, which makes living in library-less places slightly more cost-effective, if by no means cheap.

Nikki

Thanks, Nikki. Yes, we use Book Depository a lot. But the government charges a minimum of $10 US per package that arrives here. :glare: No second-hand bookstores, etc. here. Sometimes I feel that I'm the only one on the island who reads. I know that's not true. But I feel like I am.

Little witch. It's a nickname from when I was little.

Good to know. I woke up this morning and this was one of the first things on my mind. I kept wondering what your user name meant. :lol: I hadn't even seen this thread.

Good to know. I woke up this morning and this was one of the first things on my mind. I kept wondering what your user name meant.

Nice to know that I'm on people's minds. :lol: In a good way I hope. ;) Funny thing is that I've pondered changing my user name. However, it's always confusing for awhile when someone does.

Want to know what makes a happy day? Having a wish book granted on PaperBackSwap.

Negin, I hear you about the free e-books. Most books I want to read on my Nook cost money.

Nice to know that I'm on people's minds. :lol: In a good way I hope. ;) Funny thing is that I've pondered changing my user name. However, it's always confusing for awhile when someone does.

Yes, in a good way :lol: :grouphug:.

No, I wouldn't change my user name if I were you. :)

Want to know what makes a happy day? Having a wish book granted on PaperBackSwap.

Lucky you! I wish I could get PBS here.

I am reading A Dance With Dragons by George R.R. Martin (book 5 in the Game of Thrones series) to myself.

I am reading "The Apprenticeship of Lucas Whitaker" with my daughter (who turns 11 in a couple of days). We are also still working on The Inheritors which I confess we're sort of plodding through.

And I am reading "A Treasury for Five Year Olds" with my son. :)

I finished reading The Rule of Four. It was pretty good & (as I've mentioned previously) seems to be a mix somewhere between Dan Brown's The Da Vinci Code and Donna Tartt's The Secret History. The Rule of Four moved at a slower, less 'thriller-ish' pace than The Da Vinci Code. I'd say if you've enjoyed Brown's & Tartt's books, you would also like this one.

I've now started Ilustrado by Miguel Syjuco.

Excerpts from quillandquire.com (read the entire review at the link):

"In 2008, Montreal author Miguel SyjucoĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s debut novel nabbed both the Man Asian Literary Prize and the Palanca Award (the Pulitzer of the Philippines) Ă¢â‚¬â€œ quite a coup for a first book.

When the body of Crispin Salvador Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Ă¢â‚¬Å“the Panther of Philippine LettersĂ¢â‚¬ Ă¢â‚¬â€œ is found bobbing in New York CityĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Hudson River, Miguel, SalvadorĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s biographer, is convinced of foul play. After all, Salvador, who spent the last several years exiled in New York after a fall from grace with critics in his homeland, was on the cusp of completing the masterpiece that promised to revive his reputation and Ă¢â‚¬Å“return him to the pantheon.Ă¢â‚¬ Now, the manuscript, which was meant to reveal the unscrupulous malevolence of the Filipino ruling class, has gone missing. And so Miguel books a flight to Manila in search of answers.

But Ilustrado is not a crime novel. ItĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s an illustrious, evocative, intricate story that chronicles 150 years of Philippine history by employing a wide array of narrative mechanisms: newspaper clippings, blog rants, excerpts from SalvadorĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s colossal body of work, interview snippets, extracts from MiguelĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s biography, and, of course, our protagonistĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s own tumultuous journey through the Ă¢â‚¬Å“tapestry of disorderĂ¢â‚¬ he confronts in Manila. MiguelĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s pursuit of SalvadorĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s manuscript is shaded by various Ă¢â‚¬Å“fingers of darknessĂ¢â‚¬ Ă¢â‚¬â€œ his own familial disenfranchisement, a painful secret, the chaos of new love, and the random bombings and desperate protests that mark ManilaĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s socio-political unrest.

...."

So far, I'm enthralled with the various forms of narrative, the sweeping scope interspersed w/ small details, and the flashes of humor. I'm liking it very much....