Menu

If you would never leave a 10 year old home alone for a short time, why not?

Sun

This is obviously inspired by the other thread, but I didn't want to sidetrack her thread with my question. If you wouldn't leave any 10 yo home alone, even for a short time, would you mind explaining why not? Is it a maturity thing and specific to a child of yours? Or is it a more general principle?

We don't have a child that age yet, so I'm curious to hear more about it! Thanks!

i would never leave a 10 year old alone. end of story. 10 is not mature enough, or old enogh.

most places actually have laws about the age and I simply can not see 10 being legal.

I am almost 40 in all my life of foster care, shelter, school emplyment and so on -- i'd simply not put that upon a 10 year old.

i feel the parent / adult has to be the grown up and 'save' a child from dangerous situatuions -- i'd not want to put that much responiplity of a 10 year old child.

It's not that I don't believe in it, but it would be illegal in my state.:glare:

:iagree: Generally, 12 is considered "safe" (if the police showed up, they wouldn't call CPS simply because they found the child home alone), but any younger than that is playing Russian roulette.

In my province, before- and after-school daycare is provided up through grade 6. After that, it is OK for the kids to be home alone (according to the gov't).

I have a relative in the US who often leaves her kids home alone (ages 10/8/5) for a few hours. I asked a friend in law enforcement about the situation and he said, considering the 10 year old is taking care of the younger kids, he would definitely call CPS if he responded to her home.

I believe it depends on the maturity of the child. I feel comfortable leaving dd alone earlier than I did ds. Even now, when I leave them both to watch the baby while I do a few errands, dd says, "You know I'm the one who is really watching her; my brother is just here to be the "old enough" kid." She's basically right, although they both have different strengths that would be useful in an emergency.

Bottom line, we call enough attention to ourselves by homeschooling, I would not want to give CPS any other reason to investigate our family. Ready or not, the kid has to be "of age" before we'll let them stay home alone.

10, is considered iffy, in Michigan. There isn't a legal cut-off, but there are law enforcement/cps guidelines.

Since homeschooling is already "going against the grain", I waited until dd was 11 and then I never left her alone with her brothers until 12. At that point, a lot of people wanted her to babysit but we made her wait until 13 to begin that.

Faith

From the research I've done, many laws are like that of Oregon's:

163.545 Child neglect in the second degree.

(1) A person having custody or control of a child under 10 years of age commits the crime of child neglect in the second degree if, with criminal negligence, the person leaves the child unattended in or at any place for such period of time as maybe likely to endanger the health or welfare of such child

(2) Child neglect in the second degree is a Class A misdemeanor.

What is the legal babysitting age? There is no law regarding a specified babysitting age. What is being taught by the local classes offered to prospective sitters is age 11 or 12. The law that may pertain to the 12 years of age follows.

So if I leave my child under the age of 10 unattended and the police/courts determine it to endanger the child - then I can be held criminally responsible. (This is the same law that is used to in regards to leaving your child in the car unattended.)

I have mature dc, but we have a minumum age of 12, and then not alone, but in at least a pair. I don't worry that they won't know how to be alone at 18 because I didn't leave them alone at 10. We waited until 13 with my oldest, and at 15, she is just fine. It just doesn't take that long.

To me, it's about the cost vs. the benefit. There just isn't any reason I need to leave them home alone that outweighs the possible negative aspects of it. Just because my parents did leave me home alone - and I babysat - at a young age, that doesn't mean I think it is right (actually, that might be part of the reason I don't do it. :D)

I also think as homeschoolers, they need to get out of the house. :D I prefer to take my dc places with me, let them learn to interact with different situations. We grocery shop together, we take a walk around the block while we wait for one of them to do their music lesson, and so on.

most places actually have laws about the age

Are you able to point me to where this information exists? I tried searching earlier today and basically got vague and vaguer information. The popular search results all said very few states do have firm ages. But none of the sites I perused blew me away with the feeling that any was actually correct! Thanks!

Will you please share this law, because I don't think this is right. Thanks!

You're right Jan. I had a friend tell me this info the other day b/c we were talking about the same thing. Guess it's always wise to check;). The only thing I found was something like a social services document that said no child under 9 should be left alone but not an actual law.