Menu

Decision making: WWYD (training or pay)

I teach M-Th full time. It's a private school, and my children's tuition comes out of my pay. I make "more" than that, this year I have some decent take home. Last year, I "only" worked 2 days a week at this job. However, if I am not there, I do not get paid.

Well, my practicum (the site where I am practicing as a Therapist as part of my counseling training) is having major, all day training on Trauma Informed Care. This is a care model/therapuitic model that honors the fact that trauma changes people: violence, abuse, addiction, chronic poverty, natural disasters, etc. The training is how to provide trauma informed care to at risk youth. Totally "me". :001_smile:

The training is on a paid-for-work day. The training (which I don't have to pay for) is not easily found "later". The training would look good for my Ph. D. applications (see thread about the competitiveness).

One day off work is significant for my budget.

WWYD?

what's your myers briggs type? ie. how do you make decisions best?

randomly,

which would you regret more, being hungry or not doing the training? how long would you be hungry?

is it possible to switch the work day? (in the "have your cake and eat it too department)

depending on type, you could try making a list of pros and cons.

good luck! fwiw, as an enfp, i'd choose being hungry and doing the training, but if my kids were going to be hungry too, then i'd work and not train.

:grouphug:

ann

One of my dearest friends is a MSW. She recently had the chance to take this kind of training (I think it was a 2 or 3 day workshop, but same subject). It filled a "hole" for her and would have been really helpful (her opinion)--it was canceled, but she has signed up for it in the future. So, I can tell you it will be valuable.

I'd say take it.