Menu

Considering donating blood: Is O- need more than other types?

I've never donated before. I'm in need of a little push here.

When in college and as a young adult, I was not able to donate as I did not meet the 110 pound minimum weight requirement. Without painting you a visual picture, let's just say I am now fully qualified in this area. :D

In my life I now have a little time when I could get away to do this.

I am O-. The Red Cross site said that all blood types are needed for different reasons. Do you think one type is needed more than others?

I don't especially like having my blood drawn, but I don't feel faint or anxious either. I always look away because it kind of grosses me out. (I could never be in the medical profession.)

Can you give me a push?

Stats from the ARC:

Share of the U.S. population eligible to give blood: Less than 38 percent.

(example: I cannot give blood because I lived in Europe too long)

Blood cannot be manufactured – it can only come from generous donors.

Type O-negative blood (red cells) can be transfused to patients of all blood types. It is always in great demand and often in short supply.

I believe O is the most common blood type.

The most uncommon is AB negative. My dh has this type and donated once or twice in the years I've known him and not in the last 10 years. Since donated all those years ago the Red Cross and local hospital system have his name. They call him at least every 2 months. I donate more frequently, but I am not AB negative.

They really need all types, but the need is greater for some types.

Fewer and fewer people can do it, and it is always needed.

DH had surgery seven years ago and ended up unexpectedly having three units. My father had to have transfusions weekly for the last two months of his life.

I'm thankful for those donors and would do it if I could, but my veins are too small and I take medication that doesn't allow me to do that.

O- is relatively uncommon. Someone who is O- is a universal donor, which means that anyone can receive your blood. However, people who are O-, cannot receive any type other than O-.

It's actually very important for people who are O- to give as often as possible. In emergencies, O- may be given to a patient while they wait to get the blood typing done.

So, yes, your blood IS more needed than other types. Please give.

Stats from the ARC:

Share of the U.S. population eligible to give blood: Less than 38 percent.

(example: I cannot give blood because I lived in Europe too long)

Blood cannot be manufactured – it can only come from generous donors.

Type O-negative blood (red cells) can be transfused to patients of all blood types. It is always in great demand and often in short supply.

I am curious. Why can't you donate blood if you lived in Europe?

My husband has the second rarest blood type (B-, AB- is the rarest) and he donates as often as possible. They actually call him as soon as he is eligible and he goes in to donate. One time in class (I am a anthropological geneticist so we were doing experiments on ourselves) we did a little old fashion blood test and the person reading mine accidentally read it backwards and thought I was AB-. The phlebotamist who was there got really excited until she re-read it and realized I am plain, old common O+.

My DH says it is really sad when he goes in to donate because there is never anyone there - one time there was lady donating, but that was it.

I should be giving. I am also O negative plus I work in a blood bank so I get to see the inventory first hand. It's been a bad summer around here for donations. It has been really low. When you give blood, you not only give red cells, but also platelets, fresh frozen plasma, and cryoprecipitate. For O negative people, they can only receive O negative red blood cells. For people who are AB people, regardless of Rh type, they can only receive AB fresh frozen plasma. I know over the weekend, we had an AB patient take the majority of our inventory. It is scary. My blood bank doesn't even care AB red cells but we need the fresh frozen plasma.

So, yeah, O negative blood is needed more than other types. But other types are needed as well.

The reason I don't igve is due to the fact I am scared of the needle and with the fact it will be inside me longer than a regular needlestick for blood. It is also a bigger needle bore than a regular needle.

I'm A+ (2nd most common) and they always appreciate my donation.

When they say they're low, they mean low on all types. They aren't picky. O- is universal donor, isn't it?

I watch TV, get a snack and drink (usually juice and chips or something) and it's over in 20-ish minutes. Plus, where I go, they always have gifts for donors. I've gotten a scarf, mug and spoon, blanket, movie tickets.

O- is relatively uncommon. Someone who is O- is a universal donor, which means that anyone can receive your blood. However, people who are O-, cannot receive any type other than O-.

It's actually very important for people who are O- to give as often as possible. In emergencies, O- may be given to a patient while they wait to get the blood typing done.

So, yes, your blood IS more needed than other types. Please give.

:iagree::iagree:

Yes, give.

I used to give every 2 months, when we lived in the city and I could make an appointment to go Saturday morning. Once we moved to the country and there was no Red Cross office to go to, I had to go to blood drives. I only did it twice because I was there close to 2 hours the second time.

Now I'm feeling bad. I haven't donated in a few years and the Red Cross still calls me every month. I have B- blood and they want it!

Here are a few tips for when you go:

1. Double your water intake a day, or two, before you donate. Being well hydrated cuts several minutes off your donation time (we timed it!).

2. I always load up on iron-rich food, like spinach salads, in the days leading up to a donation.

Off to find where our next local blood drive is :auto:......

Oh no... why did I read this thread?:tongue_smilie:

I think the worst thing about hospitalization & labor is the IV, and now I feel like I need to give blood.

Sigh... off to see if I qualify.

Can you donate blood? here's the link

http://www.redcrossblood.org/donating-blood/eligibility-requirements/eligibility-criteria-alphabetical-listing

Edited by lcelmer