Menu

How often do your established readers read aloud?

melmichigan

I try to have mine read a paragraph or two aloud each day. Sometimes it is from the Bible, sometimes a book they are reading for lit, a history or science text, but at least a paragraph and I try for a page each day.

What I have found is that although they all read above grade level, there are still sometimes pronunciation problems. They may know perfectly well what the word means, but not how to pronounce it. I ran into this with the word "colonel" yesterday with one of my boys.

I had my ds read aloud to me everyday until a few months ago. Now he does his required daily reading on his own 3-4 days a week and reads to me 1-2 days a week. He is 8 right now. I really wanted to make sure he was reading properly and not just guessing. On his own he reads aloud sometimes and sometimes in his head.

Daily. I teach theatre and I watch kids struggle reading new things out loud. They can read Harry Potter silently, but they can't read a 3rd grade level script out loud. We always read out loud in English, through high school.

DS reads his grammar lesson out loud. He also earns extra chapters of night time reading by reading the first few paragraphs. ;)

Every day my kids read aloud to each other; most days my kids read aloud to me, as well.

I find it supports public speaking and story-reading skills, listening to someone other than mom, plus it helps ensure proper pronunciation. The kids also seem more likely to ask about vocabulary words when we're reading together, as opposed to when they read independently.

My 5th grader reads about 15 minutes per day to my Kindergartener - assigned. He reads double that throughout the day, just reading to her on his own accord. My Kindergartener reads about 10 minutes a day to me or my 5th grader - assigned. She reads double that throughout the day, just reading on her own accord - usually to me, sometimes to her toddler cousins. On days we do social studies or saints studies, both kids take turns (with me) in reading aloud to the group of us.

It's very important to me, and I make ample opportunities for it.

My DS has a 'read aloud' for me, and I have one for him. He reads to me while I'm getting dinner ready and I read to him before bed. I started it because it was that time of the evening when I just want to work on the dinner prep, no chatting, no conversation. This way he still gets to talk (because he doesn't seem capable of stopping :) ) but I can also have some down time from questions and observations and expectations to be involved. It's evolved into something we both love.

We alternate reading (I read one page, then she does), for about half hour a day, five days per week. We read primarily fiction and science books. We focus on correct pronunciation, pausing according to punctuation, and reading at a speed that can be followed (not so fast!). I think it will help with presentation skills later on.

Once my oldest was reading fluently, I stopped having her read aloud to me. Man, what a mistake! While she comprehends at a high reading level, her pronunciation (in her head) is sometimes way off! I started having her read bible sections outloud as part of her classwork - focusing on making sure we, the listeners, could understand her reading. She will read some easy books to her youngest siblings (2x/week) - not assigned.

My #2 reads outloud to me 15-20 minutes per day 5x/week. She reads aloud to her siblings (easy reader books) almost everyday (not assigned). She's not up to my definition of an "established reader" yet because she's not yet as fluent as I'd like. I will continue to have her read aloud to me every school day as long as I can find time for it.

IMO, it is really important to work on this skill!