Menu

Curious about thyroid facts and treating your thyroid naturally...

I've always tried to be holistic and balanced in my medical approach to myself and my family. I had a lot of blood work done recently due to some unexplained foot/ankle swelling. Nothing definitive showed up. In the course of the blood work my thyroid was checked. It is active and not low so it should be fine. However, I think I have some symptoms of low thyroid, losing hair and difficulty losing weight would be the main two. I know that there are differing opinions regarding acceptable ranges. I'm curious if anyone treats their thyroid naturally. I know that there is Armour thyroid, but I'm wondering if there are thyroid supplements that work too. I've gone the route of medical dr.'s and they don't think there is anything wrong with me because they only look at blood levels, so now I'm back to researching for myself. I would LOVE to go to an alternative health dr. like Dr. Hotze (here in Houston), but the amount of $$$ for that is not within our budget at the moment. Thanks for any info.

I've always tried to be holistic and balanced in my medical approach to myself and my family. I had a lot of blood work done recently due to some unexplained foot/ankle swelling. Nothing definitive showed up. In the course of the blood work my thyroid was checked. It is active and not low so it should be fine. However, I think I have some symptoms of low thyroid, losing hair and difficulty losing weight would be the main two. I know that there are differing opinions regarding acceptable ranges. I'm curious if anyone treats their thyroid naturally. I know that there is Armour thyroid, but I'm wondering if there are thyroid supplements that work too. I've gone the route of medical dr.'s and they don't think there is anything wrong with me because they only look at blood levels, so now I'm back to researching for myself. I would LOVE to go to an alternative health dr. like Dr. Hotze (here in Houston), but the amount of $$$ for that is not within our budget at the moment. Thanks for any info.
It sounds like you've already done some research, so you may have already read "Living Well with Hypothyroidism". I learned a lot from that and from her (Mary J. Shomon) website when I was first diagnosed.

Low thyroid needs to be treated with thyroid hormone, which is prescription. Armour thyroid, which you mentioned, is a natural prescription medicine. What was your TSH? Normal range is less than 3.0, but many labs are still using the old range which says up to 5.5 is normal. It is also possible to have thyroid issues without an "abnormal" TSH, but that is much harder to get diagnosed.

Welcome to my world. :glare:

Although my meds keep my TSH and whatnot levels within the normal range, I still have low-thyroid symptoms (and it doesn't matter whether I take the natural or the synthetic meds). How I would love to find a doctor who would treat my symptoms instead of relying on the labs.

I have started taking an iodine supplement in addition to the meds. I'll report back in a couple more months. :-)

Welcome to my world. :glare:

Although my meds keep my TSH and whatnot levels within the normal range, I still have low-thyroid symptoms (and it doesn't matter whether I take the natural or the synthetic meds). How I would love to find a doctor who would treat my symptoms instead of relying on the labs.

I have started taking an iodine supplement in addition to the meds. I'll report back in a couple more months. :-)

I would love to hear your results! I was told to take this too, but when I researched it I found it varied. One source called it like "adding gasoline to a fire" and said that sometimes low thyroid is caused by too much iodine. I don't know what to belive and I think there are very few doctors that actually understand and can come up with a treatment plan. I have read so much and came up with nothing. I have found a doctor in my area that I would love to go to, but money is a problem and I had to put it off until next year. I don't know if he is any better but he is into a natural whole-body approach and I actually want to see him for other problems too. I am having symptoms again and need to make a doctor appointment (with my normal doc), but it is usually a waste of time and money. They will say my test are fine or they will raise my meds which doesn't help. I am ready for a second opinion!

TSH numbers are a lot of hooey. Some say this, some say that. I stopped taking them years ago, and my levels were about 6.6 at the time. The meds were awful. Severe headaches, hungry 24/7 (so of course I gained wieght because I had to eat all the time) and the worst- ICE COLD, even in 100 degree heat. Seriously, I could stick my hand in a glass of water, and it would cool the water. Told the doc all of this, and she just kept upping the dose, which made it worse. Stopped taking them, and I felt sooooo much better. Like a normal person. No headaches, hungry when I should be, hot when hot, and cold only during winter. As Ellie says, find a doc that treats you, not your lab numbers!!

I would recommend you check out a copy of "Why do I still have Thyroid symptoms, When my Lab Tests are normal?". It was written by a functional medicine and nutrition doctor. I read it, researched it's basis and then, after mulling it over for about 3 months, followed his advice. I can not begin to tell you how much better I feel.

My TSH was 2.7, but I have lost most of the hair on my eyebrows, legs, arms and at least half the hair on my head (hairdresser told me I have bald spots and lines), had put on 40+ lbs which was not moving despite religious adherence to weight watchers and running 3 times a week, had not slept through the night in a decade, could not stay warm (heavy fleece pullover and wool socks were standard even in 90 degrees plus), ridged fingernails, irritable, low energy, etc. You name the hypothyroid symptom I had it. But I also have a lovely letter from my doctor (now former) telling me nothing is at all wrong with me.

Within a week of the suggestions in the book above I started to feel so much better I couldn't believe it myself. My family had to put up with me walking around saying "But you just don't understand, I am warm now." while they laughed, for weeks.

Good luck.

Edited by Scotia
Correcting book title

a few quick comments...from experience.

My wife is hypothyroid (low) and has taken synthroid for almost 10 years now.

I have had 3 (yes 3) bouts of thyroiditis (first, WAY WAY WAY too much thyroid, followed by the 1-3 month long crash..it's icky).

-> get a young Dr. Lots has changed in this area in the past 10 years. For instance, it is now well accepted among the research comunity that the 'typical' range is off. The issue is that such a large fraction of the population (in particular, middle-aged or older women) are low thyroid that the 'normal' range is very skewed.

-> this is a complex system with long feedback loops. For example...VitD is also related (D is not really a vitimin, it's a hormone) and a HUGE fraction of the populaton is now D3 deficient

-> final note...losing hair and weight can be either hypo or hyper thyroid.

Get your thyroid antibodies checked. My thyroid levels are in range and I don't have strong symptoms (although I had some- enough for my doctor to check my thyroid)- and once i realised I had Hashimoto's (thyroid antibodies) I went gluten free. I can't tell you the amazing difference it has made to my life, yet I didn't have digestive symptoms to gluten.

Gluten can trigger auto immune conditions, or exacerbate them. My energy levels are much higher and the intermittent aches and pains that i thought might be from something like Ross River virus, have gone.

I would recommend you check out a copy of "Why do I still have Thyroid symptoms, When my Lab Tests are normal?".

Get your thyroid antibodies checked. My thyroid levels are in range and I don't have strong symptoms (although I had some- enough for my doctor to check my thyroid)- and once i realised I had Hashimoto's (thyroid antibodies) I went gluten free. I can't tell you the amazing difference it has made to my life, yet I didn't have digestive symptoms to gluten.

Gluten can trigger auto immune conditions, or exacerbate them. My energy levels are much higher and the intermittent aches and pains that i thought might be from something like Ross River virus, have gone.

:iagree:I have personal experience with these suggestions and highly recommend them. I have Hashimoto's even though my TSH has never been out of normal range. It would swing from high normal to low normal and had symptoms of both. My chiro had me take the antibody test and found they were high even though all my doctors said I was fine. [As a side note, I went to see my Family Practicioner yesterday and he actually brushed off the Hashi's diagnosis, saying it didn't really matter unless my TSH showed hypothyroid. Yeah.]

Anyway, I have done the protocol from the book mentioned above and feel much better. The main things are no gluten and a few supplements. My TSH stopped swinging. I'm waiting for tests to see how my antibodies are looking (they should go down, according the the author's theory.)

Good luck finding what works for you!

What was your TSH? Normal range is less than 3.0, but many labs are still using the old range which says up to 5.5 is normal. It is also possible to have thyroid issues without an "abnormal" TSH, but that is much harder to get diagnosed.

do you have a link for the <3 TSH? I just had mine rechecked, and it was 3.49 and the Dr. didn't want to up my dose of levothyroxin. though I've had some symptoms return and think it needs to be.

thanks

I have strange thyroid issues and I cannot take the recommended pharmaceuticals because when paired with my low blood pressure I tend to black out. (This is a bad thing for a homeschooling mom to do when home alone with two young kids, by the way...) I read the book The Hormon Diet by Natasha Turner and it helped me tons. (She seems to have jumped on the fad of trying to make her "system" like a South Beachy thing where you're really just trying to lose weight. But I see this as much as a sell-out of her publisher as anything else...) ANYHOW- The whole premise has to do with the fact that we may have food sensitivities and intolerances and how what we eat triggers hormones which can look like thyroid imbalances. I took her "tests" and they mirrored my blood lab results. I followed her diet and found out I have a dairy intolernace I never knew. I took the holistic supplements she recommended for the imbalances I have, cut dairy from my diet (not completely :tongue_smilie:) and my endocrinologist was shocked by the results in just two months.

I hope you find other options, especially from a doctor, but if you don't, this book is a painfree option to try out.

Good Luck!

Peela, and anyone else who has had success with gluten free:

Do you think cutting out the obvious sources is enough, or does it need to be a strict adherence?

I got the Hashimotos diagnosis last week, after years of just being Hypothyroid. My test results showed my levels to be excellent, by old or new standards, and I feel good (after a medication raise in May.) I've also been having joint problems. I cut out gluten, as far as obvious sources go. Bread, pasta, crackers, etc... I check any full portions of items for gluten. But, I didn't check the chicken seasoning, for example. Not breading, seasoning. It might have been fine, but that's one example. Or I don't put croutons on my salad, but I didn't check the dressing.

My thinking is that I'm adjusting to a big change, so I'm trying to make it doable and that cutting out the biggest amount should cut back the immune response. But, is it an exercise in futility?

Here are my levels. Done at Labcorp.

TSH 3.120 (range .45-4.5)

T4 (Thyroxine) 7.5 (range 4.5-12.0)

T3 Uptake 31 (range 24-39)

Free Thyroxine Index 2.3 (range 1.2-4.9)

Any comments?

I'm just curious how my levels compare to you ladies who have been diagnosed? Do they look okay?

I'm just curious how my levels compare to you ladies who have been diagnosed? Do they look okay?

Your numbers are pretty much identical to mine, except that my TSH is a bit lower and has never gone over 3 on blood test. All of your numbers fall into the normal lab ranges from my functional medicine doctor except for the TSH - high is considered over 3.00.

You can ask for thyroid antibody tests for anti-TPO and TgAb if you want to rule out Hashimoto's. That's what my chiropractor did for me and I finally figured out what was going on. I have Hashimoto's even though my thyroid labs always looked great so far.

Edited by Tammy (TX)

Your numbers are pretty much identical to mine, except that my TSH is a bit lower and has never gone over 3 on blood test. All of your numbers fall into the normal lab ranges from my functional medicine doctor except for the TSH - high is considered over 3.00.

You can ask for thyroid antibody tests for anti-TPO and TgAb if you want to rule out Hashimoto's. That's what my chiropractor did for me and I finally figured out what was going on. I have Hashimoto's even though my thyroid labs always looked great so far.

Thank you! I'll be doing this. How do you treat it personally? Supplements, diet, lifestyle, etc.? I'll be looking up Hashimoto's. I've always heard about it (even in some of these responses), but never looked into it. Of course, this is the first time I've had my thyroid checked.

I just got the Hashimoto's diagnosis too even though my TSH is at 2.6 right now. My doctor won't treat until over 3, so I'm stuck dealing with these terrible symptoms until my thyroid really gives out! It's very annoying that most doctors will only treat the numbers and not the symptoms.

I might check out a couple of these books that were suggested. Gluten-free is a tough adjustment, but I'd sure like to feel better.

I am trying to figure out whats going on with my thyroid also. My labs always come back "under" which I believe is the hyper side right? (range is from 0.3-0.8) and I have a goiter. I havent been back in for an ultrasound yet because we dont have any insurance anymore, but am trying to figure out how to do something naturally at least, for now.

Anyone have experience with the numbers I posted? I have trouble losing weight and have most symptoms for Hasimotos, but apparently my Endo did testing for it (but i never seen the results myself :confused:)

Thank you! I'll be doing this. How do you treat it personally? Supplements, diet, lifestyle, etc.? I'll be looking up Hashimoto's. I've always heard about it (even in some of these responses), but never looked into it. Of course, this is the first time I've had my thyroid checked.

Personally, I'm treating it with diet right now. Specifically gluten free, but I've also cut out other foods that bother me or that I've tested sensitive to. I did a 6 month program based on the book by Dr. Kharrazian that included the eating plan plus some basic supplements and I felt good. I'm at a point now where I'm waiting for bloodwork to confirm how it's been working and I'm trying to decide how many of the supplements to stay on.

It's such a complicated topic, but I really feel like there's something to the gluten/autoimmune relationship. I know gluten free isn't for everyone, but I prefer to put off medicine as long as possible so I try it. It's worked well for me so far (and all my mystery stomach problems are gone.):)

Do you think cutting out the obvious sources is enough, or does it need to be a strict adherence?

I dabbled in "kind of" gluten free for years before my diagnosis. I figured less gluten was better than doing nothing. Now that I know have gluten antibodies, though, I'm doing it strictly. Some people believe that any little bit will keep you from healing and will still flare the autoimmunity.

It's a choice you have to make based on how you feel and how your medication is working. I would keep the big stuff out of your diet and start looking at the little things as you come across them. Pick one thing at a time and just find the non-gluten replacement and go from there.

Good luck!

I am trying to figure out whats going on with my thyroid also. My labs always come back "under" which I believe is the hyper side right? (range is from 0.3-0.8) and I have a goiter. I havent been back in for an ultrasound yet because we dont have any insurance anymore, but am trying to figure out how to do something naturally at least, for now.

Anyone have experience with the numbers I posted? I have trouble losing weight and have most symptoms for Hasimotos, but apparently my Endo did testing for it (but i never seen the results myself :confused:)

I haven't ever had TSH as low as yours, so I'm not sure. That is the hyper side, and a goiter says there is definitely something going on. The one time my numbers went low-ish, I had panic attacks and a racing heart.

I've finally started asking for copies of all my bloodwork. Sometimes the docs look at me funny, but I don't care anymore. :)

Autoimmunity is such a confusing topic - I've chosen to do gluten free and I'm waiting on bloodwork to see how it's working. Good luck finding out what's going on with you!

My doctor reckoned that possibly the reason my thyroid hormones were still ok despite hashimotos was because I ate a low gluten diet anyway (dh is gluten free due to digestive issues). However once I got the hashimotos dx I have cut back to virtually no gluten- I am pretty strict about it. Anything I can do to hold back the destruction of my thyroid, which is basically what hashis is- the immune system attacking the thyroid, not to mention the potential of other auto immune conditions once you have one- I decided to be serious about it.

With caeliacs- which is an auto immune condition- even a half a fingernail of gluten containing food can be enough to trigger an autoimmune attack. After I read that, I realised it wouldn't take much gluten to trigger the immune system response, so I am pretty strict about it. However...I havent had my levels tested since.

I haven't ever had TSH as low as yours, so I'm not sure. That is the hyper side, and a goiter says there is definitely something going on. The one time my numbers went low-ish, I had panic attacks and a racing heart.

I've finally started asking for copies of all my bloodwork. Sometimes the docs look at me funny, but I don't care anymore. :)

Autoimmunity is such a confusing topic - I've chosen to do gluten free and I'm waiting on bloodwork to see how it's working. Good luck finding out what's going on with you!

I actually have several heart palpitations when I eat too many carbs...now I am starting to connect the dots in thinking that maybe gluten is actually the culprit here in causing my thyroid to become overactice, hence the heart palps. I had celiac testing done, but now come to think of it, he only did one test and not the full battery which wouldnt be accurate. I think I am going to request my records.

VERY interesting!

I also have been suffering with joint pain recently (and now finding out from my mom that she has always said I was "allergic" to wheat and used to have pain all the time in my legs when I was younger) so I am also wondering if there is a connection there.

The one thing that concerns me most is that my baby (21 months) was diagnosed with JRA when she was 15 months old and am wondering if my thyroid issues while pregnant could have somehow been the cause of her auto immune issues.

I have had thyroid disease for about 6 years now. I have overactive which is handled differently than over active. Yes, there is some connections with gluten-free (fortunately for me, it doesn't seem to be in my case) because they are both auto-immune.

But, I would encourage you to get re-tested. When I first started having symptoms (no idea what it was though) my thyroid levels came back "normal" (1.35). I have sensed learned that 'my' normal is a smaller range than what is "recommended" medically. If my TSH was where yours was I would feel awful. My ideal is about 1.5-1.7. About 9 months after the original test, I was even more miserable. I was tested again and my TSH was .006. You should also know that thyroid levels can fluctuate some.

I second the recommendations for anti-bodies, and T3. And find a good endocrinologist (or internist) who will listen to your symptoms.

Good luck and hang in there. Hope you start feeling better soon.

I know this is an older thread, but I just got my bloodwork back. My thyroid antibodies (TGaB and TPO) are both in normal range now! They were both high last year, before going gluten free.

I don't know if it proves anything, but I'll take it. :-)

• 2 weeks later...

I have been on synthroid for 8 years. For the last 2 years, I couldn't find a happy spot. I have battled feeling up and down, hair loss, dry eyes, joint pain, weight gain etc, etc. I have been completely gluten/dairy free for a month now and I can tell you...there is something to this. Is it easy? No. It was a very difficult first 2 weeks. Horrible headaches, my joint pain got worse, and I was sooooooo irritable. But, after 2 weeks, it was like someone flipped a switch. My hair has stopped falling out, I have eyelashes again!, my eyes are moist, and my joints don't hurt. I am going to stick this out for a bit longer and see what happens.

What was your TSH? Normal range is less than 3.0, but many labs are still using the old range which says up to 5.5 is normal. It is also possible to have thyroid issues without an "abnormal" TSH, but that is much harder to get diagnosed.

Normal is now 0.3 - 3.0 but most people feel well on 0-1.0. 3 is high to knowledgeable thyroid doctors. Anyone who tells you 5 is normal is just plain wrong and you should find another doctor.

What was your TSH? Some people have a normal TSH but do not convert T3 to T4 in the body because of some problem so the natural thyroids are preferable to them. So they will order a Free T3 and T4 panel to see what is going on.

I have been on synthroid for 8 years. For the last 2 years, I couldn't find a happy spot. I have battled feeling up and down, hair loss, dry eyes, joint pain, weight gain etc, etc. I have been completely gluten/dairy free for a month now and I can tell you...there is something to this. Is it easy? No. It was a very difficult first 2 weeks. Horrible headaches, my joint pain got worse, and I was sooooooo irritable. But, after 2 weeks, it was like someone flipped a switch. My hair has stopped falling out, I have eyelashes again!, my eyes are moist, and my joints don't hurt. I am going to stick this out for a bit longer and see what happens.

That is really interesting. If it doesn't entirely correct your problems, it might be because Synthroid is only T4, and the natural Thyroids are T1, T2, T3, T4, and calcitonin (bonus for strong bones). Many people don't do well on Synthroid, though others feel fine.