Menu

Does the word "busted" bother you?

What do you think when you see/hear the word "busted" used instead of "broken"?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think when you see/hear the word "busted" used instead of "broken"?

• It doesn't bother me at all. In fact, I say and write this.
    • I say it, but I wouldn't use it in formal writing.
    • I say it, but I wouldn't use it in writing at all.
    • I use it in writing, but I wouldn't say it.
    • I rarely use it.
    • I never use it, but it doesn't bother me.
    • I never use it, and its use bothers me a bit.
    • I never use it, and I think it sounds uneducated to use it.
    • I never use it, and I tell people who use it exactly what I think of their language skills.
    • Other

I don't use it as a synonym for broken. I use it like:

You are so busted! (Jean and I are apparently sharing a brain here)

Or -- His lip was busted.

I don't really use it otherwise but it doesn't bother me. I think it has an oomph that I like.

:

I stopped watching one of our local news channels when they reported that "the fire truck's window was busted"

No. They. Did. Not. :ack2:

I'm sorry, I'm one of the people that doesn't use it and thinks it sounds uneducated. It sounds to me like something an 8-year-old kid would say, not an adult, and certainly not an adult who puts words together for a living! Eegads.

I can't stand the word "busted"...I grew up saying it all the time, not to mean broken, out of money, or caught but where I grew up it is slang for "bad" or "wrong"...People would say, "That's busted" meaning that is bad or wrong...If I hear the boys say it, I will stop them...It is just a slang term to me...DH still says it sometimes and I wish he would stop :glare:

I'm also not easily offended, so I can take it like I dish it out. But back to the original subject, calling anyone who uses a certain word in a certain way "ignorant and uneducated" is just obnoxious.

And to find so many people like that, all on the same forum where a person like me - who is just starting out and could really use the homeschooling information - is just tiring.

Honestly and without rancor, I think you ought to lurk a little longer. Your tone is not of "able to dish it out and take it" , but more of dish, defend dish, get huffy about dish, and then get offended. (And there were far more than half a dozen people offended by your comment, we just don't all choose to pile on if it has been noted already). You are just .... missing a stride here. So, for the free price of my advice, ask some curriculum and method questions on the non-chat boards, and read here a little longer to get a feel.

Or don't, and get suspected for being a troll. At this point I suspect I'm not the only one merely giving the benefit of the doubt, but tenuously, tenuously.

Honestly and without rancor, I think you ought to lurk a little longer. Your tone is not of "able to dish it out and take it" , but more of dish, defend dish, get huffy about dish, and then get offended. (And there were far more than half a dozen people offended by your comment, we just don't all choose to pile on if it has been noted already). You are just .... missing a stride here. So, for the free price of my advice, ask some curriculum and method questions on the non-chat boards, and read here a little longer to get a feel.

Or don't, and get suspected for being a troll. At this point I suspect I'm not the only one merely giving the benefit of the doubt, but tenuously, tenuously.

:001_smile:

This is the only time I have ever used the word...when we sing this song. I generally hear it used as someone being caught doing something they should not be doing. The word just annoys me more than anything else.

Glad to know I'm not the only one who sings it! I love Phineas and Ferb. It's the only show worth watching on Disney, IMHO.

I think you're drawing a false parallel here. What got you in trouble before was dragging someone's sexuality into a lighthearted discussion about something unrelated to their sexuality. Ellie has addressed the topic at hand. If she had started musing about the sexuality of those of us who use busted in the manner she objects to then I would have had a problem.

Not that she wouldn't do that. She's a troublemaker. Right Ellie?:D

Dude, I am so busted!:lol:

I've been out of town. Sorry I didn't get to jump in this pile sooner. :lol:

• 12 years later...