Menu

Which of these books should we do next?

blondeviolin

My 5yo is HOOKED on read-alouds. I LOVE it. :D We're about ready to finish up Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Most recently we've done The Littles (she liked it okay), My Father's Dragon (didn't care for it much), and of course, Charlie (LOVED it!). Of course we've also done some Magic Tree House, which is always a hit. So now that we are finishing Charlie, we need to find another. I have most of the Roald Dahl books, so we could do Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator or James and the Giant Peach or something else Roald Dahl. We could do the next MTH (I think it's number 5). I would also love to get to the Wizard of Oz. When I ask Abby what she wants to do, she says Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone.

Which should I go with?

In my home, 5 would be too young to begin the HP series. Do you have hesitations in reading the Sorcerers Stone? Is that why you ask for advice? I have enjoyed both books. The Wizard of OZ we read as a read aloud, but everyone in my family read all the HP alone. Boy, I just typed the word 'read' quite a lot.:001_smile:

I would look at these lists:

http://www.sonlight.com/read-alouds-a.html

http://www.sonlight.com/read-alouds-b.html

http://www.sonlight.com/read-alouds-c.html

We loved Mrs. Piggle Wiggle, Henry Huggins, Mountain Born and Mr. Popper's Penguins.

I would wait on HP. It gets darker and scarrier each book. I've read them all and liked them but am not sure that I want my kiddos reading them at a young age as he grows a whole year older each book (which just takes a few weeks to read) :)

Edited by warneral

I would wait just a year or so on HP. We read the first one when the kids were 5 and it was fine, but we just reread it and they liked it much more.

Seconding some of these - Wizard of Oz was a huge hit in our house. Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle was also a favorite, as was anything by Roald Dahl. I also like to suggest the book Jamie and Angus to new to read aloud kids. It's short and very, very sweet. If you don't read it now, she'll have outgrown it in a year. Also, we really enjoyed Igraine the Brave by Cornelia Funke. We also really loved doing The Twenty One Balloons and my kids adored the book Arabel's Raven, which I don't often see recommended, but is great for Dahl-fans.

Angela has a cool list in progress (or it may be less in progress now) - which has good recommendations.

Another vote for Boxcar Children! We're working our way through the Winnie-the-Pooh books and ds4 is really enjoying them (although i think some of the humor is over his head lol). I think next we'll try some Roald Dahl. Harry Potter seems too scary for my cautious little man, we'll probably wait a few more years. But maybe your dd would be okay with it if she's seen the movie. Books are always better anyhow, I'm not sure if they're scarier?

My dd enjoyed The Fantastic Mr. Fox, Magic Finger, Charlotte's Web, Secret Garden, Mary Poppins, and The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. Then, I read Harry Potter and the Philospher's Stone to her and now she insists on finishing the series before moving on to any other book! We started reading the third book this week.

I would wait on HP. It gets darker and scarier each book. I've read them all and liked them but am not sure that I want my kiddos reading them at a young age as he grows a whole year older each book (which just takes a few weeks to read) :)

:iagree:I have also heard that HP is one of the few modern book series that will keep your kids seriously hooked, so it is best to let them read those on their own once they can.

I don't think I can ever read HP to my boys. I don't have a problem with the content or the darkness. (The boys have already listened to and enjoyed The Book of Three and The Black Cauldron.) I've got a problem with the writing style. I cannot get through the first two books without dropping off about half or more of the adverbs following said in the dialogue tags. I simply can't help myself. As the series moves along the style gets much better.

Our current read-aloud is Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of Nimh. We just finished the Wizard of Oz. Next on the list is my all time favorite, Five Children and It, by Nesbit. James and the Giant Peach was greatly enjoyed as well.