Menu

Flash Mob - not fun anymore :(

This is such a scary phenomenon. I read the article and it really irritates me that the police let the 70 youths involved in one of these incidents go with a warning. Then they threaten parents with jail if they don't control their kids?!

The police had an opportunity to make an example of these kids and IMO they should have. How are the parents supposed to predict that their child would participate in something like this, especially when we are talking older teens who are driving? Even the article says that the people who are participating would not usually commit a crime, but are doing it because of the mob mentality.

Lisa

I thought this was a relevant post because of the fair incident - Wisconsin fair had a flash mob that went violent.

What is wrong with these kids? Did "we" fail or are "we" failing as parents? Could it be that parents have given far too much freedom? When did parents stop asking what their kids were doing?

I think they created a whole new thing and the media is just using the same name to identify them. There's a big difference between a surprise street performance and organized criminal activity.

Exactly. That was not a flash mob, any more than people who lock their kids in basements and never let them out are homeschoolers.

We've talked to our kids quite a bit over the years about mob mentality and this is a prime example. Very disturbing.

That is interesting to me because I think the "fun" flash mobs are kind of creepy and disturbing. Masses of people gathering to call attention to themselves seems bizarre to me.

If you look up the definition of the word "mob," you will see that these violent ones are indeed flash mobs. Perhaps the happy gatherings should be called something else.

I agree that these are scary. Technology is a funny thing. It definitely has its downside. I can see this affecting our personal freedoms, and it's going to get controversial. Case in point, officials in San Francisco last week cutting out an area of cell phone service based on the suspicion that a flash mob was scheduled to form. I wonder at the media's lack of sensational coverage (ie, many of these stories not going big on the national news channels), but I suppose there's a justifiable fear of spreading the idea.

I wonder at the media's lack of sensational coverage (ie, many of these stories not going big on the national news channels), but I suppose there's a justifiable fear of spreading the idea.

A number of the mob attacks have a racial element that for whatever reason the media doesn't want to investigate. in Philadelphia, virtually all the mobs have been black teens and virtually all the victims white. Same for some other mobs.

I don't buy the "mob mentality" argument that otherwise good people will just get carried away and misbehave. You could surround my kids or me with all the flash mobbers you want, and we would not participate.

... I can see this affecting our personal freedoms, and it's going to get controversial...

I agree. As usual, they'll be happy to restrict the rights of law-abiding citizens in an effort to control an unruly few.

...I wonder at the media's lack of sensational coverage (ie, many of these stories not going big on the national news channels), but I suppose there's a justifiable fear of spreading the idea.

Me too - I imagine they also don't want people staying home in fear, and not going out spending money in this economy.

A number of the mob attacks have a racial element that for whatever reason the media doesn't want to investigate. in Philadelphia, virtually all the mobs have been black teens and virtually all the victims white. Same for some other mobs.

I don't buy the "mob mentality" argument that otherwise good people will just get carried away and misbehave. You could surround my kids or me with all the flash mobbers you want, and we would not participate.

We are definitely seeing the racial aspect here in KC, and there's at least one local radio talk show host calling attention to it. But it's apparently a sticky detail for the national media.

That is interesting to me because I think the "fun" flash mobs are kind of creepy and disturbing. Masses of people gathering to call attention to themselves seems bizarre to me.

Hee hee . . . I would SOOO participate in a flash mob should the opportunity arise. I occasionally watch them on YouTube and get a kick out of them; especially the ones they do for charitable causes :-)