Menu

An Introduction and a Confession: I Have an Ill-Trained Mind

Can I still hang out here, anyway? :)

My name is Susan in the Boonies, and I suspect I may know a few of you from around the internet. My friend MamaJo told me I should stop by to visit and meet some of you fine folks.

I've been homeschooling for 13 years now.

I have two kids: a son who is a senior in high school, and a daughter who is an 8th grader.

We began our school year last week.

We live in the Boonies, which in our case, happen to be near Nashville, TN.

I have been a member over on the Sonlight forums for a long time.

Just stretching my wings a bit, in hopes of making some new friends. You can never have too many of those, in my opinion. :)

I'm not there, but I bet you are more than familiar with the wildlife in my woods: chiggers, ticks, snakes, possums, deer and turkeys, with the occasional vulture on CleanUp Crew.

Yep. More than. :) My house as a kid...you could stand at any corner and see no signs of civilization other than the dirt road and a dairy barn :lol:

Yep. More than. :) My house as a kid...you could stand at any corner and see no signs of civilization other than the dirt road and a dairy barn :lol:
I bet that was pretty.

One of our good friends when I was just a little thing had a dairy farm. My sister fell in love with cows and the whole farm schwing! I was a baby, and all I remember was that it scared me and I thought cow poop was stinky.

The wonders of nature are just wasted on some of us! :D

I'm not there, but I bet you are more than familiar with the wildlife in my woods: chiggers, ticks, snakes, possums, deer and turkeys, with the occasional vulture on CleanUp Crew.

I'm in Nashville proper, and sadly (other than the deer and turkeys) we have all the same wildlife in the city.

But hi!

I'm in Nashville proper, and sadly (other than the deer and turkeys) we have all the same wildlife in the city.

But hi!

Hi, oraestudia!

The deer and the turkeys were the draw for my husband. (We had lived in in the Green Hills neighborhood prior to moving to the Boonies for 16 years.)

We had a creek in our backyard there, so believe it or not, we got almost as much wildlife there as we have here. Although we never saw a turkey.

But we did have deer, a snapping turtle, and a BEAVER visit our backyard in Nashville!

We traded in our Nashville mosquitoes for poisonous snakes out here.

It's hard to decide which I hate worse. We had mosquitoes like a biblical plague, living by that creek.

I was an unschooler and am now an empty nester, and they let *me* hang out, so I'm sure it will fine for you to be here, too.:D
I am a huge believer in empty nesters continuing to hang out on homeschool forums: they have so much experience, perspective and wisdom to offer.

I'm grateful for the empty nesters in my life!

Nice to meet you, Ellie!

So, there are chiggers in the Boonies outside of Nashville? Poisonous snakes? Seriously? In the water or on land? What kind? Are there chiggers everywhere?

We are moving to the Boonies outside of Nashville in two weeks. We don't really know where exactly, we are getting a motor home and are going to travel around until we find a good church and area and we will hopefully settle in. It is very exciting and stressful and we are looking forward to getting there! If you have any info. I am always collecting. Later if you have time, can you PM me and give the the good bad and .....no, not ugly, give the great!:D

ETA: Welcome to TWTM!

Edited by Momma H
forgot

So, there are chiggers in the Boonies outside of Nashville? Poisonous snakes? Seriously? In the water or on land? What kind? Are there chiggers everywhere?

We are moving to the Boonies outside of Nashville in two weeks. We don't really know where exactly, we are getting a motor home and are going to travel around until we find a good church and area and we will hopefully settle in. It is very exciting and stressful and we are looking forward to getting there! If you have any info. I am always collecting. Later if you have time, can you PM me and give the the good bad and .....no, not ugly, give the great!:D

Thanks for the welcome, Stacie.

Chiggers-a-plenty where I live, thankyouverymuch. I'm sure it depends on the land one lives on.

We've been in this house for almost 7 years, and in that 7 years we've had 3 poisonous ones: about 3 years ago, a copperhead. This year we had a cottonmouth, and a timber rattler. The cottonmouth was scary enough,but the rattlesnake about had me unglued. He was as fat around as my dear husband's forearm.

But in 7 years, that's not THAT many.

Still, one is more than enough if you ask me.

I personally cannot recommend any churches here in our Boonies, although doubtless, there are some. We drive about 35 minutes or so back into Nashville to attend a church there. We're pretty connected to a lot of folk there, so, that's why we do it.

I can only imagine how stressful the adventure y'all are planning must be. I wish you the very best!!!

Wait til she shows you the picture of the HUGE (and I mean GINORMOUS HUGE) timber rattler she found on her front door step. :ohmy: