Menu

Mensa questions

I have a few questions...

1. Has anyone here joined Mensa? Strangely, everyone I know who has taken the Mensa test passed it... They say it is only for the top 2% of the population, but perhaps only the top 2% are willing to try the test? Just a theory. Or maybe there are a bunch of people of take the test and don't qualify.

2. Is it worth it to join once one qualifies? As best I can tell, all you get is a newsletter and bragging rights...

3. Has anyone used their logic exercises in homeschooling?

I haven't joined Mensa, nor do I have any desire to. Or to take their test to see if it's even an option. On occasion I will complete the Mensa puzzles in the back of the magazine in the airline seatback pocket, but that's the extent of my involvement with Mensa.

Mostly. I had a trip to Detroit ... maybe a year ago? ... and we had a number of Mensa members on my flight. Turns out they were in town for a Mensa convention, and people had flown in from all over to attend it. The convention turned out to be at the same hotel I was staying at. They took over the entire building.

It was an eccentric and interesting group of people, a diverse gathering. As with any group there were extroverts who did well at bringing people together and lighting up a conversation; there were also introverts who tried their best to interact, but ended up in a series of awkward stop-and-start conversations. I found it all completely fascinating. It kind of seemed like a Trekkie convention, in an odd way (another group I have no affliiation with, nor desire for, but that I've crossed paths with while on a layover).

I use logic puzzles and such in my homeschool, but I don't use anything specifically Mensa. To me that kind of affiliation is more about outward affirmation, which the elitest in me feels superior to :D. Others would find it an earned badge of skill and brains, worthy of pride. Just depends where on the spectrum one falls, and that'll differ from person to person.

I was a member as a kid / young teen and our local group had a youth group and mentors which was fantastic. From what I understand that was just a local initiative though - and I don't think it exists any more. I've never found any use for it since then and haven't bothered applying for my son.

I was a member at one point, as was DH. Neither of us got much out of it-it seemed more like a "I'm better than you are" club-and it was more fun to spend time with people who shared interests, as opposed to high test scores.

I think Scott Adams explained it best

http://search.dilbert.com/search?w=MENSA&x=0&y=0

I was never actually a member. I didn't bother since I heard the same "I'm better than you are" line was the most exciting thing about them.

I was a member at one point, as was DH. Neither of us got much out of it-it seemed more like a "I'm better than you are" club-and it was more fun to spend time with people who shared interests, as opposed to high test scores.

Wow. Dilbert used to be funny. Imagine that! :D

1. Has anyone here joined Mensa? Strangely, everyone I know who has taken the Mensa test passed it... They say it is only for the top 2% of the population, but perhaps only the top 2% are willing to try the test? Just a theory. Or maybe there are a bunch of people of take the test and don't qualify.

2. Is it worth it to join once one qualifies? As best I can tell, all you get is a newsletter and bragging rights...

I know a few people in Mensa. And I really think if people thought they wouldn't pass the test, they wouldn't take it. People tend to reach out to other people like them, so it's no surprise that gifted people would just naturally tend to find other gifted people. Like football falls might naturally befriend other football fans. :D I like the comparison to the Trekkie convention - I could totally see that! Funny! :lol: I've always had that feel that the tone was "I'm better than you are", which is not my thing. Although, as an elementary school student that always felt like a freak, maybe it would have been a good thing.

I have no desire to join despite having qualifying test scores somewhere, as does my DS and DH. There is a fairly active kids mensa group locally, but the scheduling hasn't worked out. So I haven't jumped through that hoop. So some areas do have active groups that *might* make it worth it (or might not!).

1) I was a one point a member of Mensa. I am not currently.

Mensa accepts a number of standardized tests. If those people (that you know) are taking tests solely to see if they can get into Mensa, then the test-takers likely know they're smart enough to get in. On the other hand many people take the same tests for other reasons and do not qualify for Mensa.

2) I did not find it worth the time, effort, and money but I agree with Kinsa:

each local chapter is different. [ . . . ] It's a very diverse group of people from all walks of life, and sometimes that is interesting and sometimes that's uncomfortable.

3) Mensa branded logic products are no better than any other brand of logic products. Prufrock Press logic books seem to be the board favourites.

My philosophy professor in college (senior year) insisted that I take the test. So, okay...to make the man happy since I was pulling a very high A and wanted to NOT annoy him, I took the test and passed. I thought he'd be satisfied and drop it. OH, no, no, no, no, no...seems he took his own personal self-esteem every year from having pet students join. UGH. I joined for one year and got NOTHING out of it. I didn't fit in with the others, apparently musicians are considered too creative/emotional or WHATEVER, and the group really didn't do anything except brag to each other. Seriously, mostly it was about sitting around and pretending to be better than everyone else.

Now, let me say...that was my own experience with a small group of local Mensa people. That does not mean that they are all like that at all. But, since my experience was negative, I've never wanted to join again and especially since I didn't see the point to begin with! I did get my A and honors in major (philosophy was my double major with piano performance - yeah - a real EMPLOYABLE combo there :tongue_smilie:) though. :D

Faith

Snort, snicker, ha-ha!!!:lol::lol::lol:

Dh's manager outlawed Dilbert comics at work. Dh's comment, "Hits too close to home, doesn't it?" The man was not amused!

Faith

I joined about 10 years ago based on my SAT score, because I wanted to see what help I could find for homeschooling gifted kids (you know, gifted enough to be frustrating, not just happily accelerated :D) and was feeling lonely in the local homeschool crowd. I didn't get much out of it, because I couldn't find any local resources. I probably should have tried harder. :001_smile: Dh wanted me to stay a member, because he was proud of having a Mensa member wife (he thinks geek is hot :D,) but I didn't.

As to your questions:

1. Who is going to say they failed? ;)

2. ??

3. My dc are puzzle-lovers. They have several Mensa books (mostly bought with Christmas money) that they do in their free time, but I've never tried to work them into school. It's more of a hobby. A favorite here is the Challenging Logic Puzzles book.

I think MENSA is just like any other social group. Some chapters are good, some are not.

I have never been to a MENSA meeting where people bragged about themselves. In my experience, people at MENSA meetings really just want to meet people and make friends. Some are socially awkward, and feel better if they have something in common and know they will be accepted for who they are.

In my area, MENSA is very active in gifted education. They have a mentor program, and really try to help out in the local schools.

I am no longer a member (too busy.) My mother wanted me to join when I was in college, because she was a member. She submitted my test scores, and paid my first membership. She joined after her divorce, and met a wonderful group of friends. It really made her life a lot happier.

I found many kindred spirits by joining interest based groups including but not limited to: Dungeons and Dragons , chess, fencing, flamenco, and am in the national honors philsophy fraternity having been a member since 1989. Geesh, I am old... I attended the meetings briefly and found the members to be quite lovely and varied in their outlook, professional life ,family background and politics. That is the great thing about Mensa. You would likely enjoy it very much as you seem to genuinely embrace others in dialogue whether they agree with you or not and being challenged does not ruffle you in the slightest. That is rare. You might really enjoy it as a social outlet. For me it was just not going to work with home education....priorities being what they are. I do not have an opinion about their logic products as I found materials from my undergrad years that suited our family well. Give it a try and see if the local group feels like a good fit. It is akin to scouting in many ways a great group can make or break the experience. Ours was more of a dating scenario with many young people and widowers. As a mid 30ish married woman with no interest in changing my status at the time, it was awkward. Now I could likely waltz in buck naked with no problem.:lol: 45 with uncontrolled Rheumatoid Arthritis bites ass. I'm just sayin'.

When our son was really young, dh joined Mensa so ds would have access to the activities the local group provided for kids. Ds was nonverbal until age 5 so it was just easier for dh to provide old standardized test results rather than pay for ds to have specialized nonverbal testing. (as it turns out, ds had that testing anyway the following year!)

The local chapter was fabulous about planning family activities and the kids played lots of chess and thinking games. It was a good outlet for several years.

I never tried to get in, but always felt welcome at the events, and honestly, I never really knew who was the Mensa member and who wasn't at family events

Yes, my daughter was a member many years ago, from age 3-5. I had heard about the wonderful children's programs the Florida chapter ran, and assumed that all of the chapters were that way. We were looking to make friendships for my daughter and myself. It was so difficult to find friends and she played so differently than other children her age we knew. She preferred playing with kids several years older than her, but they didn't want to pay with a 'baby'. Parents would stop planning play dates with us because they would always compare the children and thought we were putting their child down in some way, just by being there. If I went to a mom's night, I had to basically sit there quietly, listening to everyone else telling their stories about their child's latest accomplishment. If I said something about my daughter, they either thought I was lying, or bragging. If I asked for advice, they would tell me that it is not possible for a child to be doing whatever at that age. Sometimes I would leave early, crying. It took me a while to realize that I needed to keep quiet. It was very lonely, and we just wanted to find people with kids like our daughter. I thought that by putting her in Mensa, we would fill the need for friends.

We went to one ice cream social of our local Mensa group. The people were all 25-30 years older than we were. We chatted with them for about 10 minutes, got some more info about the group, then left. They all suggested that we start some children's activities. In order to do that, one of the parents was required to be a member, so I made my husband take the test and join. I was pretty sure I would fail, so I didn't bother. He said I probably could have passed it.

We tried to organize some children's activites, game days and such, but nobody ever showed up. After the second year, we decided that it wasn't for us and let the memberships lapse. If we lived in Florida though, I think my daughter would still be a member, and perhaps I would have tried to take the test at some point.

Edited by Sushi's Mom

I found many kindred spirits by joining interest based groups including but not limited to: Dungeons and Dragons , chess, fencing, flamenco, and am in the national honors philsophy fraternity having been a member since 1989. Geesh, I am old... I attended the meetings briefly and found the members to be quite lovely and varied in their outlook, professional life ,family background and politics. That is the great thing about Mensa. You would likely enjoy it very much as you seem to genuinely embrace others in dialogue whether they agree with you or not and being challenged does not ruffle you in the slightest. That is rare. You might really enjoy it as a social outlet. For me it was just not going to work with home education....priorities being what they are. I do not have an opinion about their logic products as I found materials from my undergrad years that suited our family well. Give it a try and see if the local group feels like a good fit. It is akin to scouting in many ways a great group can make or break the experience. Ours was more of a dating scenario with many young people and widowers. As a mid 30ish married woman with no interest in changing my status at the time, it was awkward. Now I could likely waltz in buck naked with no problem.:lol: 45 with uncontrolled Rheumatoid Arthritis bites ass. I'm just sayin'.

Thanks for the info and the extremely kind words!

We're not members, but one of my son's best friends is a member of the local Mensa kids group. It's been good for him, providing him with social access to other bright kids. We've been to a couple of the functions that we open to the public, and it seems like a nice group of people.

If we were ever in a position in which my son needed something social, I'd definitely consider it for him.