Menu

How do I ease mild heartburn without taking an antacid of any kind?

I'm on a med today that prohibits my taking any kind of antacid/proton pump inhibitor. I'm not supposed to drastically reduce the amount of acid in my stomach because it may increase the efficacy of my med beyond a safe level. Of course, I have a mild heartburn right now! Any suggestions for how I can ease the burning throat without taking anything?

TIA!

I used to chew almonds (slowwwwwly) for pregnancy heartburn. It worked reasonably well for mild heartburn.

Interesting! You're helping me out all over the place today :D Does it have to be almonds, for some reason? I wonder if another beneficial nut would help too--I have loads of pecans.

I know it sounds counter-intuitive, but I've been taking Bragg's apple cider vinegar and it's working like a charm! I just take a teaspooon in a glass of water a couple times each day.

I keep hearing this. I don't have Bragg's, but I have the cheapo grocery store kind. Do you suppose it matters?

Interesting! You're helping me out all over the place today :D Does it have to be almonds, for some reason? I wonder if another beneficial nut would help too--I have loads of pecans.
That I don't know. I just like almonds. :tongue_smilie:

Pickle juice cures my heartburn-which of course means any sort of vinegar could help. I just love the flavored salty vinegar water of pickle juice, tastes better than plain vinegar to me!

It makes a difference though what kind of stomach you have-acid or base. If vinegar makes yours worse than I would try some baking soda dissolved in water. (if that would be ok with your med?)

It makes a difference though what kind of stomach you have-acid or base.
Gastric acid is produced by the stomach and is composed primarily of hydrochloric acid. There's no such thing as a "base" stomach... stomach pH is normally between 1 and 2, which is highly acidic.

That I don't know. I just like almonds. :tongue_smilie:

Good to know! I'll give my pecans a try :D

Pickle juice cures my heartburn-which of course means any sort of vinegar could help. I just love the flavored salty vinegar water of pickle juice, tastes better than plain vinegar to me!

It makes a difference though what kind of stomach you have-acid or base. If vinegar makes yours worse than I would try some baking soda dissolved in water. (if that would be ok with your med?)

Hmmm, that is a very good question. It seems to be acid, since acid reducers DO work, but I don't know for sure. I know I've seen baking soda specifically mentioned as a no-no, because it acts directly to reduce the acid. I wonder what that does mean for the vinegar... I think if the pecans don't work, I'll call the doctor and ask. It may be far enough past my taking the med that Tums could be OK now.

I hate taking prescription meds :( They make everything so complicated.

Thank you for the ideas.

Gastric acid is produced by the stomach and is composed primarily of hydrochloric acid. There's no such thing as a "base" stomach... stomach pH is normally between 1 and 2, which is highly acidic.

I've actually been hearing more about reflux that's alkaline-based lately myself--as a reason that some people don't find relief from acid reducers. I keep meaning to research it more but was focusing on just eliminating the things that cause the reflux for me in general (coffee, gluten, most grains, etc.). I made the mistake of having juuuust a little granola on my yogurt today, and here I am.

I'll have to see what my doc has to say about that. Moira, do you have any research to share to disprove? I'd love to send it to my mom.

ETA: It looks like alkaline reflux is actually "bile reflux." My mom had her gall bladder out recently, which is probably why she's been reading about it.

Edited by melissel

Moira, do you have any research to share to disprove? I'd love to send it to my mom.
I don't have any articles, but I was under the impression that drinking vinegar works for some (depending on the cause and severity of the reflux) because drinking vinegar stimulates the production of saliva, which essentially flushes out the esophagus.

It may just be me, but drinking a few sips of heavy cream seems to always get rid of my heartburn. I'm not sure why, but it works for me! Another thing that's supposed to work is coconut milk. I found it worked for mild heartburn, but not bad heartburn.

I tried the Bragg's ACV and it did the opposite and made me have terrible heartburn. Eveyone's different, I guess!

The simple answer is this: call your pharmacist. There are lots of things you can't eat depending on what med you are on. It's more complicated than just avoiding antacids. Be safe...call a pharmacy, ask to speak to a pharmacist, and you'll get some good info. They can look up interactions between foods and meds and natural remedies and meds. They are your best resource!

my acid/heartburn triggers are fats, sugar, and spices. when I stay away from those, I don't have heartburn.

sometimes soda crackers will help, and drinking tepid/room temp water. NOT cold water.

so what foods are triggers for you?

I don't have any articles, but I was under the impression that drinking vinegar works for some (depending on the cause and severity of the reflux) because drinking vinegar stimulates the production of saliva, which essentially flushes out the esophagus.

I saw some person on PBS during pledge week (yeah, I know), who said that the problem is actually NOT too much acid in the stomach. I forgot the rest. But anyway the idea is that the vinegar will neutralize it.

My husband eats apple slices before bed to help with reflux. It doesn't work when his symptoms are severe, though.

Mine did this for a while too. And I've been known to try it, successfully.

Good luck; heartburn is unpleasant.:tongue_smilie:

I know it sounds counter-intuitive, but I've been taking Bragg's apple cider vinegar and it's working like a charm! I just take a teaspooon in a glass of water a couple times each day.

Yes! I was skeptical too. I began getting Acid Reflux during my last pregnancy and this gave me instant relief. I usually use 2 tablespoons mixed with 1/4 teaspoon Bob's Red Mill organic baking soda (supposedly helps even out your pH). I add in warm water, and sweeten with Stevia.

I usually take mine in a straw so that it goes straight back down the throat without touching my teeth and affecting the enamel.

A great website that talks about this is http://www.earthclinic.com

Well, I discovered just a little while ago that the med I'm taking has heartburn listed as a side effect, and it's a commonly occurring one :( That's no good if you can't actually take anything to alleviate it! Plus, I'm already really prone to reflux, and I start having swallowing issues when it kicks in too often (bad ones--like I nearly choked to death on salad two weeks ago). This does not bode well.

I guess I'll be putting in a call to my doctor on Monday to ask what she wants me to do. Thanks for all the input, everyone.

ETA: It looks like alkaline reflux is actually "bile reflux." My mom had her gall bladder out recently, which is probably why she's been reading about it.
Ah, that makes sense. I was scratching my head a bit over how stomach acid could be base. :001_smile:

You can buy a special kind of licorice pill that is good for relieving heartburn. It is just plain licorice except that it has been "deglycerinated" (or something like that). If I chew two of these pills 20 minutes before eating it really aids in my digestion. They aren't very expensive, either. Of course, I would check with your pharmacist and make certain they wouldn't interact with your prescription meds.

Hope you find some relief.

Elaine