Menu

bad potatoes

Same problem here. I bought a bag. It looked good but all the bad spots must have been on the inside or the went bad in the 3 days it took me to get to them. I'm tempted to pick and choose (and pay more) from the bin rather than get a bag full of surprises.

Same problem here. I bought a bag. It looked good but all the bad spots must have been on the inside or the went bad in the 3 days it took me to get to them. I'm tempted to pick and choose (and pay more) from the bin rather than get a bag full of surprises.

Mine look good on the outside too, then I cut them open and they're rotten. You might pay more, but if you're throwing away less, then you would save money doing it that way. I wonder, if you hand pick the potatoes, will you still get home and have surprises or will they be better on the inside?

Interesting. I've noticed the same thing. It had been a while since I'd bought potatoes because we had a stockpile from dad's fall potato hills. I've bought a couple bags to get us by while waiting for his potatoes and they've all been really suspect! I can't recall ever having to cut so much rot off and it's all on the inside!

yes! and my dh and I were talking about it just this morning! the last month or 2 have been the worst I've seen. we go through a small bag every week, and they have gotten worse and worse. I have bought every brand and type of potato W*lmart has and even bought the biggest bags and handpicked some...they are still no good... I guess it's the weather...? he is a meat 'n potatoes guy, and hates pasta, rice, and most veggies. Makes menu planning difficult...

eta: I live in the boonies...W*almart is the best choice, as the other grocery store is a little yucky store that is even worse and MORE expensive...wish I lived up North and try growing my own

Edited by pie

yes! and my dh and I were talking about it just this morning! the last month or 2 have been the worst I've seen. we go through a small bag every week, and they have gotten worse and worse. I have bought every brand and type of potato W*lmart has and even bought the biggest bags and handpicked some...they are still no good... I guess it's the weather...? he is a meat 'n potatoes guy, and hates pasta, rice, and most veggies. Makes menu planning difficult...

eta: I live in the boonies...W*almart is the best choice, as the other grocery store is a little yucky store that is even worse and MORE expensive...wish I lived up North and try growing my own

We live in the boonies too and make a trip to WM for our shopping. But our little locally owned grocery store has bad potatoes too. It doesn't matter where I buy them.

I'ts been going one for a year or more, I guess. But it seems here lately it's getting worse and worse. We already eat so much rice becasue of allergies I hate to have to cut out potatoes. But I can't afford to waste money on bad potatoes either.

I usually don't have a problem with the bags of potatoes I get at the grocery store. Until about 2 weeks ago. I bought a 5lb. bag and didn't use it right away. There was a funky smell in the kitchen. And a couple bugs flyin gin the house. I could not figure it out. Then I decided to make potato soup. EWWWW!!!!! It was no more than 5 days since I had bought the bag.

I live in Florida (obviously :glare:) and I have had potato problems for over a year now.

I buy them by the bag because they are cheaper than the individual ones yet I end up throwing 1/4 to 1/3 away because they are rotten inside.

This is mainly russets and idahos I have not had much problems with the new red potatos.

There are some recipes that require russets and you really can't substitute. :glare: So I end up buying extra to cover the 'scrap rate'.

Does anyone have a good way to tell from the outside?

Potato Black Heart Disease? Black heart is a physiological or abiotic disease that occurs when tubers undergo periods of oxygen deprivation. It can occur in the field or in storage. High soil temperatures and waterlogged soils contribute to black heart development in the field. Tubers in transit or storage suffer from the disease when they are poorly ventilated or exposed to temperatures below freezing or greater than 90oF. Some potato varieties tolerate conditions of low oxygen better than others but all are susceptible to injury and subsequent development of black heart.

Potato Black Heart Disease? Black heart is a physiological or abiotic disease that occurs when tubers undergo periods of oxygen deprivation. It can occur in the field or in storage. High soil temperatures and waterlogged soils contribute to black heart development in the field. Tubers in transit or storage suffer from the disease when they are poorly ventilated or exposed to temperatures below freezing or greater than 90oF. Some potato varieties tolerate conditions of low oxygen better than others but all are susceptible to injury and subsequent development of black heart.

So how do you find ones that aren't infected?

I just had a bad bag. I've had it for less than 10 days, usually they last longer. Thankfully they were alone on a shelf as a few had maggots. Never had that before. I wanted to vomit. I cooked a few decent ones (they were far away from the maggoty ones), but they tasted bad and we threw away the whole batch away.