Menu

Are you HAPPY?

Not particularly; not right now, anyway. I've added another day to my work schedule and at the same time that changed, management started training me for additional duties, so it's like a double whammy to adjust to. I friend died last week after a 12-year battle with cancer and I'm very very sad over this loss. I know all this stress and depression will pass, but right now, happy isn't a word I'd use to describe myself.

However, I'm supremely grateful for my job and for the trust management has placed on me these past few weeks, and I'm grateful that my friend is no longer in pain.

Depends what you call happy. I feel alive, grateful, I love people, I feel loved...yes, I am happy. Is everything in my life working exactly how I would want it? No.

I think the article denotes a very immature type of happiness, or search for happiness. And its an immaturity that seems to be common. The media and our excessively materialistic society promote immaturity and shallowness- and happiness is just a sell job to make us buy stuff. It's not really happiness and it will disappear at the slightest challenge if there is no solid foundation of integrity and ethics and maturity.

I think the article denotes a very immature type of happiness, or search for happiness.

I totally agree. People confuse happiness with pleasure and fun.

Real, meaningful happiness is not always pleasurable and fun (sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't.)

Also I firmly believe people have far more control over their level of happiness than they think. Again, they confuse pleasure and fun with happiness. If some wave of pleasure and enjoyment isn't washing over you, it doesn't mean you can't be happy.

True happiness in large measure can be gained by how you think and act. Gratitude is key, as someone pointed out, as well as choosing to react with happiness. And in a way, the pursuit of this kind of happiness is vital - arguably even a moral obligation to others. Happiness or misery affects more people than just the individual in question.

If you think about the people you know, I mean people you REALLY know, the truly happy people aren't necessarily those that are more fortunate than unhappy people.

I'm happy, but I also agree with this:

First, life is tough, no matter how you cut it. Secondly, people who think they're neurotic are usually perfectly normal people who have unrealistic expectations of what life should bring them. I'd contend that one of those unrealistic expectations, which ultimately becomes an inappropriate goal, is happiness.

FWIW, I have relatives who have struggled with mental illness, so I do know the difference between discontent and a medical need.

Laura

I am content.

I find that being content is much more important to me then seeking happiness.

Happiness comes and goes according to circumstance and season, but to be content....... that is something that takes a change of thinking and view of life.

Being content also allows me to ride the turbulent waves of life and still see hope in the future.

I am content and I have peace and that is enough for me.

I haven't yet read the article, but will say that I am happy. It may not appear so to the outside world, but I get joy from watching my children grow, I adore seeing my husband walk in the door. We struggle with money but not to a point of not being able to feed our family, I get grumpy, I lose my patience, i feel tired at times, I feel like I am a useless mother at times, but despite all this I am happy. I get to laugh with my family, I get to spend precious time with friends and family. I have a pretty darn good life really. I do try to focus on the positive because I figure I will go mad otherwise. :-)

Depends what you call happy. I feel alive, grateful, I love people, I feel loved...yes, I am happy. Is everything in my life working exactly how I would want it? No.

I think the article denotes a very immature type of happiness, or search for happiness. And its an immaturity that seems to be common. The media and our excessively materialistic society promote immaturity and shallowness- and happiness is just a sell job to make us buy stuff. It's not really happiness and it will disappear at the slightest challenge if there is no solid foundation of integrity and ethics and maturity.

As usual :iagree:

Yes, I am happy, but it isn't because of affluence!:lol:

I'm happy because I am just happy. Life is hard, but there are lessons to be learned even then. Things don't always go my way, but none of that matters.

I just don't even have the words to describe that feeling I have other than happy. (And, no, I am not on drugs or prescription meds!:tongue_smilie:)