Menu

need help finding pants to fit my daughter...can you help me??

My daughter is thin and in order to find pants to fit her in the length (she is not abnormally tall or anything) they are way too big in the waist. If we buy adjustable waist bands, there is so much extra material bulged up that it is very uncomfortable and it looks bad too. Draw string sweat pants are very useful, but it is hard to find ones that actually have the drawstring that works...not just decorative. But then finding nice pants that fit is hard too. And money is an object...we don't have tons. yes, there is the option of having someone make them...but that can gets costly too. Any thoughts for me? Oh, her waist is about 9"1/2 across...or about 19" around. thanks!!!!

My dd is a size double zero and getting her pants is a nightmare. She just finally starting buying them for the correct length and having them altered. It honestly wasn't really that expensive (less than $10 per pair) and she is sooo happy to have pants that fit. She buys the brands she loves and then the seamstress takes it from there.

We have the same problem. Years ago Lee made slim jeans for girls that worked beautifully, but of course they went with the elastic too :glare:. I have one kiddo who has hips but a tiny waist (I call it a wasp waist). She gave up on jeans and wears athletic pants with an elastic waist band. Even those are getting hard to find.

She wears pants/capris similar to this.

My daughter is thin and in order to find pants to fit her in the length (she is not abnormally tall or anything) they are way too big in the waist. If we buy adjustable waist bands, there is so much extra material bulged up that it is very uncomfortable and it looks bad too. Draw string sweat pants are very useful, but it is hard to find ones that actually have the drawstring that works...not just decorative. But then finding nice pants that fit is hard too. And money is an object...we don't have tons. yes, there is the option of having someone make them...but that can gets costly too. Any thoughts for me? Oh, her waist is about 9"1/2 across...or about 19" around. thanks!!!!

Find someone to show you how to sew tucks in at the waist. Lady at church, Lady at the extension office, neighbor, mom, if the sales lady at the store is older, ask her.

It's simple and easy. You don't need a machine. If you've not done it though you might feel intimidated, though you could probably figure it out if you had a bit of confidence with a needle and thread. I know my sister pays people to sew buttons on so not everyone has this confidence.

Since I have a 16yo son who wears 32" waist and 36" length (still needing a belt) I can totally sympathize!!! We have to get his pants online since the stores are filled simply with short and stout sizes :glare: Have you checked Sears? They were the ONLY store that had his size when he was a 28" waist and 32" length. It's frustrating, though, that boys clothes are sold by exact measurements and girls are those nebulous 'sizes' making it harder to decide if they will fit.

How old is your daughter? I did find one brand of jeans last year at Kohls that we bought slims in and they fit pretty well! I was shocked.

she will be 11 in September and usually wear a size 10 in things. Are the Kohl's jeans age appropriate? I mean, do they make her look like a little teenager? I really hate buying jeans for this reason. Also, we don't have a Kohls close by...but if I knew they might work, I could buy them online...hate paying for shipping back if they don't fit though.

Are "slim" pants/jeans still too big? My dd is super skinny and tall for her age. JCPenney's has a good selection of slims that fit her. You may want to check those out.

yes, they are...at least the ones we have tried on. We have very limited shopping in our area...so that just compounds the issue.

she will be 11 in September and usually wear a size 10 in things. Are the Kohl's jeans age appropriate? I mean, do they make her look like a little teenager? I really hate buying jeans for this reason. Also, we don't have a Kohls close by...but if I knew they might work, I could buy them online...hate paying for shipping back if they don't fit though.

I've had the same problem with my 11 yr dd and we found jeans in a 0 at Old Navy that worked great.

My daughter (6) is taller than average and very thin. This summer she's wearring pants and leggings in size 4s and we call them capris. I bought a pattern to make her some sundresses and cut the dress to a size 3/4 for the bodice and size 8 for the length. During the cooler months, we've found pants at Kohls and Children's Place that have adjustable waists. This past winter, at age 5, it was a little sad when a pair of adjustable waist size 6 slim "skinny" jeans looked baggy on her. I anticipate having to tailor a lot of things for her as she gets older and the adjustable waists aren't as common.

My DD has the same problem. Sears carries "slims" in girls' sizes. Also, I think it's WalMart, has jeans that have little adjuster tabs on the inside of the waistband. Usually, it still doesn't go down far enough for her, but it does help somewhat.

I buy slim jeans from The Children's Place. They are thinner than average, and also have the elastic that makes them adjustable.

ETA: I have to buy them online at childrensplace.com. The stores usually only carry the average sizes, and not slim (or husky).

ETA2: I just remembered one day a few months ago when I noticed my dd couldn't get her capri pants buttoned up. I was shocked to discover that the elastic tabs had already been loosened all the way up. After further investigation, I realized that she had put on her brother's 4T pants. She didn't notice that they were 4 sizes too small! :lol:

Edited by bonniebeth4

Old Navy slims fit my slim child. Unfortunately, so does Justice, Aeropostale, and A&F. Some of them are very low cut, but we wear long sweaters. She is almost 10, and she can still wear sizes 5-7 as Capri. Her and her sister get their clothes mixed up all the time. Sis is 7. Oh, and the longer plaid shorts? Yeah, she can wear those FOREVER also!

Recently, we found a pair of athletic pants that is an adult XS, and suppose to be Capri. They fit her great too.

I get most of her jeans at Once Upon A Child.

I second the Children's Place slims. My dd used to only wear knit pants because the jean material bothered her. Circo from Target, Children's Place, and Old Navy were the only ones that would stay up when bought for length. All the others would fall down around her ankles when she jumped, lol. She's 10 and is another one that still wears some of her 5/6 and 7/8 clothes as capris.

You might try Crazy8. They sell slim sizes that also have adjustable waists. At least it would already be cut smaller before it's adjusted so there wouldn't be as much "bunch". Their prices are very reasonable. It's the less-expensive store of the Gymboree brand, but I think the clothes are a little older looking than Gymboree.

Edited by mandymom

I've had three super skinnies, two of them long. penny's and sears both carry "slim" sizes. (as well as nordstroms, macy's, gymbore, jack and jill, etc.) I did find sears slims to be bigger around the waist than other brands of slim. (an advantage of sears is the kidvantage program where if they destroy the jeans/pants, sears will replace them within the year with an identical pair for free.) I didn't use sears for 2dd - the slims were still too big in the waist.

I have also found slims that have the adjustable waist band on the inside, so I could make them saller still.

I've had great luck with jc penney and target slims and then still have to tighten them up with the adjustable waist but at least they don't wind up just hanging out at her hips! I buy the target ones when they go on clearance for $5 a pair. My daughter wore 8s last winter and will probably wear the 10s this winter (she is just 8, she is tall and skinny).

Old Navy slims fit my slim child. Unfortunately, so does Justice, Aeropostale, and A&F. Some of them are very low cut, but we wear long sweaters. She is almost 10, and she can still wear sizes 5-7 as Capri. Her and her sister get their clothes mixed up all the time. Sis is 7. Oh, and the longer plaid shorts? Yeah, she can wear those FOREVER also!

Recently, we found a pair of athletic pants that is an adult XS, and suppose to be Capri. They fit her great too.

I get most of her jeans at Once Upon A Child.

The best fit my daughter has had in ages is Aeropostale. We've tried Gap, Gymboree, LL Bean with success in the past but now she needs a more adult size so...

My dd is also super skinny, but younger. So far the knit leggings from Gymboree are the only pants we've been able to find that reliably fit her. I snatch them up when they're on clearance, from thrift stores, Once Upon a Child, etc.

I'm not sure if they're still on sale, but last week Gymboree had all of their leggings for $5.99 pair plus there are a bunch of 20% off coupons floating around that can be stacked on top of the sale prices.