Menu

Is city of birth where home or hospital was?

I've wondered about this so many times, because 3 of my 5 children were born in a hospital in one city (nearby) while our residence was in another. Any thoughts?

From a legal or genealogical point of view, it is the actual location of the birth. My place of both, for example, is listed as the town where the hospital was.

We had a recent news story where the baby was born in the airmed helicopter transporting the mother, and his birth certificate is going to reflect that. The news story was speculating how they would word it, since they were flying over a lake at the time.

I've wondered about this so many times, because 3 of my 5 children were born in a hospital in one city (nearby) while our residence was in another. Any thoughts?

their city of birth is the city the actual delivery took place. If that was in the hospital that is the city that will appear on the birth certificate as city of birth and will be filed with the dept of vital statistics.

One of my SILs was born enroute to a hospital. FIL pulled off to the side of the road under an underpass. Apparently it was a county line road and she has birth certificates in two counties. I'm not sure how that plays out.

:lol: gee, do you think the counties were having a fight over jurisdiction?

I know of a set of twins who were born in different cities on different days.

one unplanned at home before midnight, the other after hospital transfer after midnight.

:lol: gee, do you think the counties were having a fight over jurisdiction? You'd think both counties would try to say she belonged to the other one.

I know of a set of twins who were born in different cities on different days.

one unplanned at home before midnight, the other after hospital transfer after midnight. Weird and weirder.

I've heard of twins being born on different days but different places. I can't imagine what that Mama went through that night.

I can see that it makes sense to list the city of your child's birth as the city which is listed on the birth certificate -- which would be where the hospital is. Still, it seems strange because I think of the birthplace as the city where our home is/was.

Interesting about babies being born in airplanes, twins being born in two different places, etc.! Wow, there is any interesting story for everything!:)

• 12 years later...