Menu

When you are giving directions or locations, do you regularly use prepositions?

The other day, dh was telling me a story about being a kid and "heading up to the cabin", but then he stopped mid-sentence and commented about how he needs to stop saying "up" because it's such a "hick" thing to do.

Well, I've never really thought about it before. But I do it all the time, too (we're both hicks at heart ;)). Up north, down south, out east, out west, down to Some City, over to Some State... It never occurred to me that this is abnormal. But, I guess if I dissected the sentences, I'd find some misplaced prepositions and objects.

I just got over my "got" syndrome (:D), so I'm not sure I'm ready for another thing, lol.

Do you do this? Is it regional, maybe?

The other day, dh was telling me a story about being a kid and "heading up to the cabin", but then he stopped mid-sentence and commented about how he needs to stop saying "up" because it's such a "hick" thing to do.

Well, I've never really thought about it before. But I do it all the time, too (we're both hicks at heart ;)). Up north, down south, out east, out west, down to Some City, over to Some State... It never occurred to me that this is abnormal. But, I guess if I dissected the sentences, I'd find some misplaced prepositions and objects.

I just got over my "got" syndrome (:D), so I'm not sure I'm ready for another thing, lol.

I've never thought about it. But in my case, I bet it changes if I write them down or if I speak them. I tend to be more formal in writing than speaking. I bet I'm really "hicksville" sometimes.

Have you ever seen the little piece floating around the internet about the many uses of the word "up"? It's enlightening, for certain. So, if your dh sounds like a hick using "up", at least he is in good company.

And yes, everyone does that as far as I know. In the region of Baltimore, Maryland, we even have a special term for going to the shore of the Atlantic; it's "Downy Ocean, hon." (That's roughly translated as "Down the Ocean.") But if you've never had the treat of hearing a native say it, you probably can't hear it in your head, either.

My dh's cousins from Idaho says we all pronounce the long O so "OOOOOH-like". I only notice it in Baltimorians who say it more extremely than I do. :D

See you tomorrow; I'm going up to bed, now. ;)

I just got back from a trip "over to Missour-ah." ;) Fellow midwestern hick here.

I need to snap myself with a rubber band every time I say I'm going "up to" or "down to"! It's bad. "I'm goin' to go up to Wal-Mart." :lol: IIt's north of my house. At least I get the up and down right based on the compass. Most people have one or the other that they say all the time whether it's north or south from where we are.