Menu

Stay in 8th grade or jump to 9th...Help me think this through!

Ok here's my dilemma...

Background...

My almost 14 yo daughter is going to be in 8th grade this year even though she is should be in 9th. We held her back in 2nd grade because of social and academic reasons and her birthday was mid October anyway...She's all caught up now...

SO..

Today I was talking about this years curriculum with my mil (who homeschooled my husband and his 4 brothers and is the director of our homeschool umbrella) and she mentioned that several of my daughter's classes could count for high school level classes- Social Studies, (possibly) English, and Physical Science and Bible (which our umbrella requires).

So now I am sitting here wondering what to do. Do I just bump her up to 9th grade and make sure her other classes meet high school level requirements?

Or, do I keep her in 8th grade and just let these 4 classes earn her high school level credits?

Or just let her stay in 8th grade, let it be an easy year of no grading for me and let her "simmer" in 8th grade a while longer.

I wasn't even thinking about high school yet and have no idea how to do the grading scale or assign grades. I wasn't going to worry about that for 8th grade but obviously if they are going to be HS credits I'll need to do that? But how do I assign grades to a class that is mostly reading, research and essay writing? I don't know where to begin here....:confused:

Do you have any opinions as to why you recommend keeping my daughter in 8th or bumping to 9th? Help me think this through!

Thanks,

Tiffany

Well, she is all for being able to SAY she's 9th! LOL! I think we would still keep her in with the 8th grade social groups she is in mainly since all her friends are in there.

She can definitely do the work, but I'm not sure I can handle the sudden learning curve for me! We've never done grades and frankly it just scares me stiff. I thought I had another year before I had to buckle down and figure this stuff out!

We also just brought home 3 kids adopted from Colombia so this will be our first school year with 7 kids who don't speak English. That is going to demand a lot of time for me.

Also, she is only in Pre-algebra this year for 8th so does that even work to be considered high school? I need a quick "How to homeschool for high school 101" class!

Based on all you say, I really think you could use an extra and "light" year in your situation - from time demands regarding adoptive children, grades stress, etc. If she is not entirely opposed to the idea and not adamant that she should be a 9th grader and a very independent one at that, I would make it a sort of "transition year": pre-algebra is not a high school content, so there she can continue where she is, but if she wants some high school level classes like the ones you mentioned in your first post, she can do them too, making this a sort of 8th-9th mixed year. You will probably not be able to use them for a high school credit, but a transition year might do her good to work on her weaknesses and things where she is still an 8th grader, while exploring a high school level class or two? Would that be an option for her?

Based on an Oct b-day, in most states she would be a rising 8th grader, not a rising 9th grader. 9th grade would actually be ahead in most places (I think the vast majority of states have Sept 1-30th cut-off dates.)

I personally would not jump her forward. I don't think that physical science is all that great of a high school credit and the pre-alg would sink the high school option in our family.

She sounds like she is set to have a strong foundation for high school in the future. I would use this yr to complete that task.

There are many 8th graders who take classes that could be considered high school classes if taken a year later. However, those are rarely if ever counted as true high school credits. In math, an advanced student may have taken algebra 1, geometry, or even algebra2 in middle school. Those are typically listed on a transcript but not counted as high school credit. Other than those, I would not list any middle school work. Physical science can count as a high school credit, but it is less common now than it used to be. My 7th and 8th grader last year took a physical science course. There were a couple high school students in it but mostly middle schoolers. I consider it prep for high school chemistry and physics, not a course that I wish I could list as a high school credit.

As others said, you don't want pre-alegebra listed on a high school transcript.

Also as others said, a mid-Oct bday would land her in the grade she is in now in many states.

Given that her friends are 8th graders, raising her a grade would also impact friendships--maybe not now, but later.

I would keep her in 8th grade, giving her a strong prep year this year for high school, rather than skipping her a grade forward, probably with a weaker foundation. Plus, your family will in in transition and you are so right: the first year of high school is a big learning curve for the parent. You don't want to get behind the curve that first year.

Edited by Laurie4b

Based on an Oct b-day, in most states she would be a rising 8th grader, not a rising 9th grader. 9th grade would actually be ahead in most places (I think the vast majority of states have Sept 1-30th cut-off dates.)

I personally would not jump her forward. I don't think that physical science is all that great of a high school credit and the pre-alg would sink the high school option in our family.

:iagree: Here she'd be a rising 8th grader anyway; we also have Sept. 1st cutoffs. And you really don't want her starting high school with pre-algebra, which usually doesn't count for high school credit. It sounds like you'd both be rushed on many levels - I'd give yourselves the time.

Sounds like 8th grade is the right choice to me. As others have pointed out, an October birthday in most states would put her in 8th, not 9th, so you're talking about an acceleration, not course-correcting for holding her back early on. Most of her friends and activities match with 8th grade. The math and science she's doing are 8th grade (at least here pre-algebra and physical science are both middle school courses)... And you have a LOT on your plate right now! :)

I think letting this being a relatively easy 8th grade year for *you* sounds like a good plan. And she'll be that much more prepared for high school (and later college!) when the time comes.

Thank you all for the confirmation! I felt uneasy jumping her up to 9th so this just settles it in my mind.

Back when she started Kindy, the cut off was Dec 31st so all the kids born right around her birthday are all starting high school this year. I think the dates have changed to Sept in more recent years around here.

I am still going to push her to do the high school level work in the classes she is able and let the rest just be 8th grade. Am I right in understanding that the Social Studies and the English are not able to be counted as high school level classes if she takes them during 8th grade? Just a bit confused since I though that was what my mil said was an option..

Now, the real question is where do I get the nitty gritty info on how to prep for high school. Today has been a wake-up call to me that I need to know how to do grades and understand what is necessary for records for high school. Websites I can read? Books? Send forth thy wisdom! LOL!

I'd bump her to 9th. Although it is true that many states have an earlier cut-off and she'd be entering 8th this year, it isn't true of all states. I prefer going with the cut-off date of the state I'm living in. She wouldn't be the only young 9th grader.

If you're thinking about colleges, some of them won't accept credits earned before 9th grade. Seems to me it would just be better now to have her be Officially 9th than to try to work figure out a way to make 8th grade classes be acceptable to those colleges who only want 9th and above.

Normally I'm all about putting the student in the higher grade level, but in this case I vote for 8th, due to the October birthday + prealgebra. If the math was there, a better case could be made for bumping up. However, for purposes of college applications, I would not want a transcript that included prealgebra for 9th. It may not matter for all schools, but I wouldn't want to eliminate this early those schools for which it would matter.

Ok, here's another aspect. I don't anticipate her going to a 4 year college right off the bat. We are fully planning on starting at the community college. AND, she really just wants to be a missionary so 4 year college might not even be in her future anyway.

With this in mind, would it change your advice to keep her in 8th?

Ok, here's another aspect. I don't anticipate her going to a 4 year college right off the bat. We are fully planning on starting at the community college. AND, she really just wants to be a missionary so 4 year college might not even be in her future anyway.

With this in mind, would it change your advice to keep her in 8th?

That wouldn't change my mind, because I'd want to keep the option open. IMO, she's much too young to limit her higher education and career options. (Obviously I'm influenced by the educational expectations of my own family, but I think it's important as a parent to help provide opportunity rather than limit it, whenever possible.)

Her choices and yours might change in 4 years.

If you call her 9th now, and later decide that it should have been 8th, that is a difficult change to make.

If you call her 8th now, but two years from now she starts to look like it should have been 9th, you can either bump her up a grade or just have her do 3 years of high school (I've known several kids who graduated PS high school after 3 years).

Especially given that she's in pre-algebra, I wouldn't call her 9th now.

This is what I'm doing with ds #1. He has a late birthday, and is a little young, emotionally, for his age. I decided to use the coming year as a transition year to make sure he's solid in all subjects before officially beginning high school work. We're moving at some point in the (I hope) near future, and there's a chance he'll be going to ps or cs there. So it won't be a big deal for him to start 9th grade "late." I think he'll be stronger, academically and emotionally, for having had this transition year.

I've got a 14 year old 8th grader whose doing high school level work.

The thing to consider is when you do enroll them in college, the subject matter there can really become 18 and older material. My 18 yo dual enrolled child last semester encountered Sex 101/102... and more in poetry and movies they watched in class, Agora, being one of them.

He's taking government this coming semester when all the elections will be taking hold. I'm sure there will be a lot of discussion going on then. The conversations of the other students, and sometimes the clothing they wear. My son says there's nothing you can say because it's a college situation.

I have a son that "should" be 9th, but he is 8th this year. I held him back in 3rd when he could not read well... we discovered a vision problem and spent a year learning to read.

Anyway, I've decided to keep him in 8th. He might take 7 credits per year in high school and "skip" a high school year. He is behind in math so I don't really think that will work.

Our umbrella school will let 8th graders earn high school credit in some subjects.

Don't worry about it...any work done in 7th and 8th grade (at least in our state) can count towards their high school credits...my son took Biology in 8th grade and Physical Science in 7th..both can count towards his 4 credits of science (although because he's got an extra year b/c we held him back he'll likely do dual enrollment or an AP version, he had Chemistry in 9th and doing Physics for 10th..but technically, if I wanted to graduate him his junior year, I could b/c he has all his credits...)

A lot can change in 3 years, we just like having the flexibility of having extra time so he can pursue other interests (debate/rowing/scouts)

HTH!

AND, she really just wants to be a missionary... With this in mind, would it change your advice to keep her in 8th?

All the more reason to NOT to advance her -- gives her more time to mature and develop the balanced foundation in spiritual matters, life skills, and emotional well-being that will be *critical* to successfully working as a missionary.

Also, it gives DD the time throughout her high school years to participate in short term mission trips, to volunteer, and to participate in extracurricular activities that will prepare her for work in the mission field. In contrast, if you call this year 9th grade, because not everything is at high school level for her now, she would have to spend more time and energy bringing other subjects up to high school level work -- leaving her less time and energy for those extras that would both be of interest to her *and* help prepare her for being a missionary.

And finally, if you have DD doing 8th grade now, she will have several "honors" level courses (those that are 9th grade level) this year and will probably be able to include honors level coursework throughout high school. In contrast, if you have DD doing 9th grade this year, she will be scrambling to get to grade level in those classes that are not 9th grade level -- and throughout high school she may always feel like she's struggling to get to grade level (in math, for example), rather than being able to excel at an honors level in some areas.

Now, the real question is where do I get the nitty gritty info on how to prep for high school. Today has been a wake-up call to me that I need to know how to do grades and understand what is necessary for records for high school. Websites I can read? Books? Send forth thy wisdom! LOL!

See this past thread to get you started on researching high school (and my offer in that thread to share my high school packet still stands. :) ).

Edited by Lori D.

I haven't read all the responses, but I would keep her in 8th grade and just count those courses for high school. If you are worried about colleges not accepting the credits, I would call a few of the colleges she may be interested in and ask them. I have not run into any of those colleges. Here in Florida we have gifted programs that routinely do advanced coursework and it's hard to believe that any colleges wouldn't want them. When you move her up to 9th grade, she is then competing on a different plane. Her SAT scores will not look as good, etc. In my mind, it's always better to be an advanced 8th grader than an average 9th grader.