Menu

Beverly Cleary's Ramona books? Your honest opinions, please.

VBoulden

That's okay. I just misunderstood you. I certainly wasn't trying to drag you into the Ramona vs. Junie B debate:tongue_smilie: I don't really care. We love them both.

Susan

Oh, that's okay :) -- I haven't read the Junie B. series, but I love any excuse to talk about children's books.

Dd8 and I just finished reading Ellen Tebbits. I loved this book from my childhood, and dd and I had a great time reading it together. I love all of the Cleary books. The situations are as relevant today as they were back in the 50s/60s. The chapters are longer and more interesting vocabulary words are used as compared to the books released today. Just my opinion...

My son had great success with all the Henry books which I carefully pre-read for content and was pleasantly surprised.

So when my dd began reading well, I grabbed a bunch if Ramona books hoping for the same experience. Trusting the author, I did not pre-read them. Unfortunately my dd brought me issue after issue of ways in which these books do not line up with our standards.

In our home, our children never tease, they never call names, they have been trained and taught with extreme diligence HOW to love one another and therefore...they do. They are not perfect of course...but the constant little spits, spats, complaining, teasing, fighting, rudeness, and such was not interesting to my dd. It only annoyed her.

Additionally, we were not interested in the book which focuses on a crush she has.

So I don't think they belong in the trash...but they just didn't line up with our standards of carefully chosen children's fiction.

(by the way, I was willing to overlook the issues and discuss them, but my dd was so annoyed by the "bratty" behavior she tried 3 of the books and then gave up.)

Most love these books but honestly...

Bratty children make me nauseous.

It's not cute.

It's not amusing.

I don't consider it to be entertaining.

This applies to "popular" tv shows, too.

Not saying these things aren't comical they just don't promote the values we have for our family.

We simply "pass."

Add us to the like group. I never read these as a child . Had never heard of them until I had my own children and we listened to Romona the Pest in the car. Everyone loved it. My dd is devouring the Romona and Henry books. She recently told me she was so glad she learned to read because if she didn't she would not have the Ramona books.

As for comparing Ramona to Junie B Jones...not even close. We read one of these books and both dd and I felt she was just a self centered spoiled brat.

Yes, I completely regret buying the Junie B Jones series for my dd. She even copied her behavior for awhile. My ds was bored and read some of them (he ran out of other stuff to read)... when dd would do something from the book, he would tell me she got it from Junie B Jones! This did not happen with the Ramona series.

Betsy Tacey is another great idea, the first four books that is. The last dew are written by a different author.

Just have to jump in here and defend Maud Hart Lovelace, as she is in fact the author of all the Betsy-Tacy books; they are based on her childhood and youth growing up in Minnesota.:001_smile:

It's not cute.

It's not amusing.

Not saying these things aren't comical they just don't promote the values we have for our family.

We simply "pass."

I completely agree. However, Ramona is not like that, IMO. Junie B, yes.

I love them! They are well-written, keep children and adults' interest, and are realistic. As a child I understood a lot of what Ramona was going through. I think Beverly Cleary has a gift for remembering how children think.

:iagree: She is pretty amazing at how she's able to get into the mind of a child. I love her books. I read and re-read them when I was little and I love them now. My kids like them well enough, too!

It's not cute.

It's not amusing.

We simply "pass."

Are you saying you think Ramona is bratty? I don't see that at all. I think bratty kids are children as a result of poor parenting. Bratty children are not taught to be polite and are not disciplined. I think Ramona is just Ramona and her parents do a pretty good job with her for the most part. I see the way Ramona acts and I see my oldest son. She's just impulsive and passionate, but I don't think her parents indulge that.

For those Beverly Cleary fans out there that haven't yet read her memoirs, you may want to check these out - Girl From Yamhill and My Own Two Feet. They help to understand the author's background and pov a bit better, and they're great for gaining an appreciation of the times in U.S. history during her childhood and as she was growing into adulthood.

I live literally down the road from the old Cleary farm, so the books were especially interesting to me from the historical perspective, but my older kids also read her books and enjoyed them - especially my youngest son. My youngest just thinks they were so-so.

Blessings,

Lucinda

Edited by HSMom2One
Editing needed due to the heavy use of the word "great". I must have been sleepy. :~)

We love Ramona and Henry here at our house but nothing beats Socks! I'm not exaggerating when I say Socks is brilliant! :D

:iagree:

While I liked the Ramona books, I must have loved Socks. I still have that one.

For those Beverly Cleary fans out there that haven't yet read her memoirs, you may want to check these out - Girl From Yamhill and My Own Two Feet. They are not only great in helping to understand the author's background and pov a bit better, but they're great for gaining an appreciation of the times in U.S. history during her childhood and as she was growing into adulthood.

I live literally down the road from the old Cleary farm, so the books were especially interesting to me from the historical perspective, but my older kids also read her books and thought they were great. My youngest just thinks they were so-so.

Blessings,

Lucinda

Neat!

(by the way, I was willing to overlook the issues and discuss them, but my dd was so annoyed by the "bratty" behavior she tried 3 of the books and then gave up.)

It's good you were willing to discuss them. :) Maybe someday your dd will try them again and it could be a good opportunity to learn more about compassion and how to relate to people who don't measure up to her standards.

These books speak to something she will meet in many children -- the reality of family conflict, the desire for warm family and friends, the urge to do silly and sometimes troublesome things, and the relief of laughter.

I find Ramona quite endearing, but I have two Ramona-like children, a boy and girl. We can so relate to much of Ramona's behavior! I also happen to have a Beezus-like big sister and think that sibling dynamic is captured so well.

I think the books show a real family, one that sometimes struggles and disagrees, but always loves one another. I can relate to Mrs. Quimby's exasperation with Ramona, as I have often felt that with two of my children. I remember reading the part where she takes one bite of a bunch of apples and my son (who was probably 5 or 6 at the time), said "Well, you know she really is right, the first bite *is* the best."

I think Beverly Cleary captured how many, many children feel. That is why those characters resonate with so many kids and have really stood the test of time. Sure there are some parts that I sort of cringe at, but you know, it makes it real. I have always used those as a jumping off point for discussions about being respectful. I have found that the adults and children in the Ramona books usually handle those behaviors with love and guidance. Ms. Binney and the other adults are often correcting Ramona in an effort to teach her.

I think compared to many of the sugar coated, goody-goody books of that time period, Ramona brought a realness and that made her relateable. I have read both of the Beverly Cleary's autobiographies and a number of articles where she answered the question, "Why did you write the Ramona books?" and she said she had children asking her, "Where are the books about real kids, like us?" I think that speaks volumes. Sometimes we may not like those very real child behaviors, but ignoring them or glossing over them is kind of disingenuous.

I've never read Junie B., so I can't compare. And, maybe I am just very nostalgic about Ramona and her stories, as I so dearly loved those books as a child! :)

Ramona is nothing like Junie B, and her parents make efforts to teach and train her. She is not a complete brat, but the book does portrays lot of behavior that is not acceptable.

Also, no, I read the bio on Maud Hart Lovelace and the last few books were not written by her. It's crushing but true. :).

Lol, then you had better let the Maud Hart Lovelace and the Betsy Tacy Societies know, as well as Wikipedia, since in all these places she is listed as the unquestioned author. Perhaps you may be thinking of some of the books she wrote later in life with her husband, Delos?

Lol, then you had better let the Maud Hart Lovelace and the Betsy Tacy Societies know, as well as Wikipedia, since in all these places she is listed as the unquestioned author. Perhaps you may be thinking of some of the books she wrote later in life with her husband, Delos?

I was about to ask the op which Bio she read that claims this...I've read at least two different Bios of M.H.L, visited her childhood home, etc, and I've never heard that there was any doubt as to her authorship. The last six books are very different than the first four in the series, but I think that reflects the different themes of the books -- a young woman coming of age in the final six books vs. girlhood fun in the first four books.

But if the original poster has a book in mind we should check out that makes this claim, I am very curious and would like look at it for myself!

When I was growing up and reading (and loving) the Ramona books, I found her refreshing. She's real, but she isn't bad for the sake of being bad. That's one of the things I like about the way that Beverly Cleary developed the character -- you can see her motivation in what she does, even though it's sometimes misguided. She says what she thinks -- not to hurt others, but because sometimes children (and grown-ups!) don't think about the effect their words will have on others. She is impulsive. She's imaginative. She's easily hurt (though the hurt may come out as anger). She really wants to please.

I see a lot of Ramona in my youngest -- the brutal honesty ;), the impulsivity, the imagination. He has ADHD, FWIW.

Can you imagine how a school today would react to a Ramona? She'd be off to the doctor for a diagnosis and a prescription in a heartbeat. I'm not averse to diagnoses and prescriptions (my son has both), but the thought of "fixing" Ramona makes me sad.

My kids don't care for books with characters who are too perfect. The Bobbsey Twins, the Happy Hollisters -- we enjoy the stories, but my kids can spot characters who never seem to have any flaws. And while my kids are not angels by any stretch of the imagination, when they read about kids who behave in less-than-perfect ways, they *think* about it and respond to it, and it makes for some good discussions.