Menu

Flooring for playroom -- any suggestions?

I've culled and organized the playroom (the smallest bedroom in the house). My husband is painting today and hanging Lego display shelves. He'll put new windows in this winter (too hot to do right now), but we are wanting to put new flooring down.

We've moved to laminate wood flooring with the exception of the living area which has carpet (I hate it, but the floor isn't level because half of the room is an addition, and carpet was easier).

I'm torn on flooring for the playroom. Carpet would be nice because it's cozier, but laminate flooring is easier to clean, Hotwheel tracks works better on it, etc. Is there an option I'm not considering?

What says the hive?

I'm torn on flooring for the playroom. Carpet would be nice because it's cozier, but laminate flooring is easier to clean, Hotwheel tracks works better on it, etc. Is there an option I'm not considering?

What says the hive?

cork? it has some give, still easy to clean, warmer than laminate, and cars will still go. ;-p there are also carpet tiles that are very low pile, warm, and easy to replace if just a section has a problem. and you can vary the colors to make a pattern.

carpet squares

:iagree:

That's what we have in our playroom/schoolroom. Flat, smooth, VERY easy to install, and easy to clean (if one gets dirty you can just pop it up and clean it), but not as cold as laminate...and it was super cheap. We bought ours from this place:

http://www.carpet-usa.com/ctile.php

We live close enough that we could drive to pick it up, but it was recommended by a friend who lives out of state and had hers shipped, so I take it the shipping is pretty reasonable.

this is our playroom right after we finished it, btw. We got the cheapest tiles, which means there weren't very many of each kind, so we didn't have that much choice, and we needed to find two that would go together well:

carpet.JPG

Edited by kokotg

That's what we have in our playroom/schoolroom. Flat, smooth, VERY easy to install, and easy to clean (if one gets dirty you can just pop it up and clean it), but not as cold as laminate...and it was super cheap. We bought ours from this place:

We live close enough that we could drive to pick it up, but it was recommended by a friend who lives out of state and had hers shipped, so I take it the shipping is pretty reasonable.

this is our playroom right after we finished it, btw. We got the cheapest tiles, which means there weren't very many of each kind, so we didn't have that much choice, and we needed to find two that would go together well:

carpet.JPG

This looks awesome, hmmm, I have a laundry room, I bet these would be good there.

I saw a blue Pergo floor in a playroom once, it looked beautiful. Don't know about the wear.

I also think bamboo is quite nice. I would prefer laminate over carpet because of the easy cleanup. Plus laminate has those nice built in lanes for cars. :D

Thanks! Are these more comfortable on the knees? That is my concern with laminate flooring. The boys still play on the actual floor.

Cork is. Bamboo is hard.

I love the cork floor. I can crawl around on my knees on that floor. It's where I do my workouts too as it's easier on my joints.

The reason why I stay away from carpet is because my ds has pretty strong environmental allergies.

Edited by Kleine Hexe

carpet.JPG

The popping them up and cleaning them thing is appealing! Do you just lay them down...they aren't stuck down or anything? Can you use them in basements?

We have three boys and their playroom has Berber carpet. They will frequently bring cars, trucks, castles, etc.. to the other rooms to use the hardwoods.

If you aren't thinking of moving and will use it as a playroom for a while, I would go with a neat color of laminate flooring and get a rug to cover part of it. You could get one of the rugs that has the roads on it.

My dc have never complained about the hardwoods, but they have complained about the carpet.

I am not a huge fan of several different types of flooring in one home. Perhaps if the playroom were on a seperate floor from the rest of the house (an attic or basement playroom) I would feel differently. If it were my playroom I would probably carry over the laminate from the hallway. That's what is in the other bedrooms too, correct? Then I'd either lay a large area rug or create a large area rug with those carpet tiles. They are really nifty!

I'd go with hardwood or laminate with a big rug. That way you have the best of both worlds. The carpet can be rolled up when they need the hard surface and you also have the comfort of a carpet.

:iagree:, this is what we do.

The popping them up and cleaning them thing is appealing! Do you just lay them down...they aren't stuck down or anything? Can you use them in basements?

nope, you just fit them together and they stay in place. I think there are some carpet tiles that you have to stick, but these you don't. We're planning to use some in our basement (over concrete) if we ever finish cleaning it out. I don't see why you couldn't. In that room they're just on top of the wooden subfloor.

Those are very cool!

carpet.JPG

We had laminate flooring in our last playroom and it was great. Held up well to art projects, rough play and easel painting! We just bought a different house and we are going to put pergo laminate flooring in the playroom with one area covered in a fun area rug.

We love the Pergo laminate in our office and our bedroom. I eventually wanted all of the rooms to match our bedroom floor (which is lighter than the office). Hmmmm

I have a few questions for those with cork flooring. Is it durable? We have a Beagle/Basset mix with gigantic claws. He doesn't dig at the floor or anything, but I'd worry about damage. Also, what about cleaning? Is the surface porous? If a kid spilled paint on it would it stain?

I love the idea of cork but I don't want something that's not going to stand up to our family.