Menu

Talking with my kids today, they mentioned that they enjoy silly worksheets and activities during school time. They wanted more "silly" school work. So, I need ideas. We use ETC which uses silly sentences, but I need other options. Are there any curriculum choices that incorporate funny stories or activities to teach a topic? All subjects are welcome.

Punctuation Puzzlers from Critical Thinking Press are pretty silly. (They teach about comma placement and run-on sentences, and use silliness to show what can happen to the meaning of a sentence when you punctuate it wrong)

Life of Fred for math.

Mr. Q Science can be pretty silly.

ETA: MCT's Grammar and Writing books at the Island and Town levels have a good dose of silly. But you need to sit and read them together - they're not worksheets.

Edited by matroyshka

Punctuation Puzzlers from Critical Thinking Press are pretty silly. (They teach about comma placement and run-on sentences, and use silliness to show what can happen to the meaning of a sentence when you punctuate it wrong).

Great!:D

This is mainly for my second grader, but I will keep my list for reference through the years. I can't wait to start LoF series!

What about Grammar-Land? We thought the part about Fairy Land being a real place and Grammar-Land being just as real as Fairy Land was pretty silly. We've only read the first chapter so far though. So, maybe someone else can say whether or not silliness is found throughout the book?

Linguistic Development Through Poetry Memorization includes some very silly poems.

Great!:D

This is mainly for my second grader, but I will keep my list for reference through the years. I can't wait to start LoF series!

Punctuation Puzzlers and MCT Island both start about 3rd.

I thought LOF had just come out with a series for younger kids? Not sure what grade it starts?

Mr. Q could be done by a 2nd grader no problem, I think.

Punctuation Puzzlers and MCT Island both start about 3rd.

I thought LOF had just come out with a series for younger kids? Not sure what grade it starts?

Mr. Q could be done by a 2nd grader no problem, I think.

Judging by the samples of the first four books, they look to be good for about K-2. I don't know if anyone has seen any of the first four books in full yet? I pre-ordered the first two and they were shipped out a couple of days ago but haven't arrived yet.

I read more and more threads about people doing MCT Island in grade 2. I did it in grade 3 with my oldest and I think I'll stick with that for the younger two, but it seems it is working for people to do it earlier.

You could have him read Jack Prelutsky and Shel Silverstein poems. We usually add silliness ourselves, for example I will literally fall out of my chair in simulated shock when she does something, or I'll tell her, very dramatically "Whatever you do, DON'T do your math today. Don't even look at the worksheet. Wait! Stop! What are you doing??!!" as she giggles and sets out to do exactly the opposite of what I've told her.

Some of the mini-marshmallow drawing lessons by Mark Kistler are pretty silly.

My dd loved Comic Strip Grammar..it is for about 4th or 5th graders though...she did Grammarland and thought it was pretty cute...loves Fred, of course! We're going to use Giggles in the Middle: Caught Ya! Grammar with a Giggle for Middle School, this year. The first year we homeschooled I used Rod and Staff and she learned a LOT. But it was so boring.zzzzz so, I have tried to keep a little fun in the day where grammar is concerned. HTH :)

Pie

Also, Ed Zaccaro's Primary Grade Challenge Math has a fun-goofy humor combined with great (simple) explanations and walk-throughs of "advanced" math topics.

There is also regular "Challenge Math" and other Zaccaro titles that I have not used yet.

Bill

G Is for One Gzonk is a very silly "alpha-number-bet" book. The author and artist created a bunch of fantastical creatures to go with each letter ("O is for the zoomy Orange Oomy" is my fave), plus these floating number head things (Onesie, Twosie and Threesie) add a running commentary, and the whole thing sends up the typical alphabet book. He promises that no bears will bounce a ball in his book, and he keeps his promise! It's very silly and witty and funny.

Basher books-there is one for just about any science discipline, Mathematics, Algebra, Music, Grammar, and Punctuation. My daughter LOVES these-and claims the grammar and punctuation characters from the book live on MCT's Grammar Island and it's nearby twin, Punctuation Peninsula.

Penrose the Mathematical Cat

Eats, Shoots, and Leaves (the illustrated one) and the sequel

Brian P. Cleary's books (although these may be a bit young for your DC-they're parts of speech, basic math concepts, and so on).

Scholastic Read and Learn Mini-Books, and a lot of the Scholastic printables in general.

Can you tell we like "silly" around here?

Basher books-there is one for just about any science discipline, Mathematics, Algebra, Music, Grammar, and Punctuation. My daughter LOVES these-and claims the grammar and punctuation characters from the book live on MCT's Grammar Island and it's nearby twin, Punctuation Peninsula.

We love Basher books here. We have the rocks & minerals one now and I have a bunch of them in my amazon shopping cart.