Menu

Do Lefty Parents Stress About Their Right-Handers?

There have been a LOT of threads lately by right-handed parents wondering how to deal with a left-handed child.

My husband and I are both lefties and both kids are righties. It never even occurred to us that our right-handed children might need any special treatment from us. I never changed how I would show them to write, knit, colour, etc. They never have a problem watching me o something left-handed and then doing that with their right.

As a lefty, it's how I learned. I never had any special accommodation and just learned how to interpret what I saw righties do into what I needed to do.

It's my opinion that right-handed parents need to chill out BIG time over this. :D It's just not a big deal.

But I thought I should confirm my experience with other lefty parents just in case.

My mother left all right-handed task teaching to our father. She's always asking how my left-handed daughter is doing. To her, it is a big deal. But she also went to a school where she had to bring a written note from my grandmother, demanding she not be "switched" to right-handedness. So I think she has some baggage!

I'm a lefty parent with all right-handers so far. I have never done a single thing differently, except perhaps to show a pencil grip using my right hand so they can directly copy. I honestly have a kind of odd grip I use that is not what our curriculum recommends. So I just demonstrate with my right hand for them how to hold the pencil.

There have been a LOT of threads lately by right-handed parents wondering how to deal with a left-handed child.

My husband and I are both lefties and both kids are righties. It never even occurred to us that our right-handed children might need any special treatment from us. I never changed how I would show them to write, knit, colour, etc. They never have a problem watching me o something left-handed and then doing that with their right.

As a lefty, it's how I learned. I never had any special accommodation and just learned how to interpret what I saw righties do into what I needed to do.

It's my opinion that right-handed parents need to chill out BIG time over this. :D It's just not a big deal.

But I thought I should confirm my experience with other lefty parents just in case.

:iagree: I have never understood all the hoopla, myself. Two out of my three are righties and it was just not *that* hard to wrap my brain around. lol

:iagree::iagree:

No offense if you were one of the posters, but I have also noticed a lot of these threads and as a left-handed parent, it just makes me kind of :confused:. I learned from right-handed parents just fine and I didn't have special notebooks. So, yes, the recent threads have had me scratching my head.

ETA: My kids are both right-ies and that is probably the ONE thing I haven't stressed about, lol.

I'm left, dh is right. We have a mix with the kids. Never worried about it with the right handed kids. I don't worry about it overly much with the left handed ones either, other than to note that there are some left handed tendencies that need to watched for and to help them through. When you're right, everything is right. When you are left, not everything is left, some things are right.

:iagree::iagree:

No offense if you were one of the posters, but I have also noticed a lot of these threads and as a left-handed parent, it just makes me kind of :confused:. I learned from right-handed parents just fine and I didn't have special notebooks. So, yes, the recent threads have had me scratching my head.

ETA: My kids are both right-ies and that is probably the ONE thing I haven't stressed about, lol.

:( I posted a thread looking for a binder a week ago. I was just trying to be considerate and not put him in a situation where it is difficult to write. I've seen him try to write over spirals and I think it looks uncomfortable.

:( I posted a thread looking for a binder a week ago. I was just trying to be considerate and not put him in a situation where it is difficult to write. I've seen him try to write over spirals and I think it looks uncomfortable.

I think specific technical issues are excluded. :)

My dad, sister, and I are all lefties. My mom plays sports left-handed (taught by her lefty brother). I play sports right handed. My dad is the only one who writes "upside down," with his hand curled around the pencil. I was sad that neither of my kids are left handed.

To teach them proper pencil grip, I sat across the table from them and had them mirror me.

Yep, no big deal to teach a lefty. Or righty.

as a mother of a leftie (and another who took his time deciding), it's not a big deal. dd is an adult and turned out just fine. It was probably advantageous for her when she was fingering viola . . . .

When I played violin as a child I got the nickname "Wormfingers". Sounds bad but it was a compliment because my fingering was so quick and flexible. Never occurred to me util a few months ago that it was my left hand, the one with all the fine motor skills, was doing the fingering.

Since my oldest (leftie) has some sensory-motor issues, I do worry about her a little. I probably will have her try a top-bound notebook at some point, and I've been known to catch her doing things awkwardly with her right hand (like laying on the bed to read the assignment, and then trying to write the answers right-handed since that hand is free) and remind her that she's IS a lefty, so please switch hands back to the correct one (left)! :lol: In my experience as a child, it didn't matter much, but I did go through a phase of being interested in left-handed products, so I'm kind of keeping an eye to see whether it matters to her given the extra difficulty.

For my right-handers, I'm not too worried. I think it'd be pretty funny if I got dh to teach them as the right-handed parent. Not gonna happen, though; timewise it will be me, and I'm sure they're fine. I don't really see them watching me, tbh. I put the pencil in their hands and adjust their fingers...I guess I do show them with my fingers for a moment...but it's not like they stare at me across the table doing actual writing, it's just placing the pencil in the hand before getting started. It's more, "Ok, the pencil needs to rest on your middle finger...no, don't use your whole fist..." They focus on which fingers are doing the work, and use the corresponding fingers. I'm not sure they've even noticed that I'm left-handed.

Actually, I'm not sure which hand I've been using to show them...without much thought, I usually choose whichever one they can see better. So,..if I'm on their left, I'll use my left, and if I'm on their right I'll use my right. Lol, now that I think about it, usually I do position myself on the opposite side so I can watch what they are writing; so on the left of a rightie with my left to demonstrate, or on the right of my leftie with my right to demonstrate, so it's the outer hands being used as we sit side by side. Which means that I'm a left-handed parent showing my leftie how to write with my right hand. :tongue_smilie::lol:

Edited by Love_to_Read

Nope, never worried about it. As a lefty the only accommadation I do really appreciate is notebooks that have glued or sewn bindings, but I can get by without them.

The more I think about it the less I like the idea of making a bunch of accommodations or buying special products for lefties. It's a right handed world and lefties are the ones who who have to adapt to that fact. When we go out into world employers and other places we have to spend time and function are not going to make accommodations for us.

Most of the accomodations I grew up with were simple...

1. Take the paper out of the binder while writing; put it back when done. Develop a preference for binders instead of notebooks.

2. Get in the habit of not dragging pinky across the paper...hard to do when furiously taking notes, but hey, those don't have to be neat, so who cares.

3. If you have to cut with fussy sicissors using the wrong hand, you just apply pressure a certain way to keep the blades together.

4. Eat with elbows at sides if crowded.

5. Don't be afraid to try it right-handed...a few things feel normal that way.

Can't think of any others.

I think "stress" is too strong (and loaded) of a word. I don't stress about my kids handedness. But I am *aware* of challenges to teaching both R and L handed.

I did decide to leave handwriting of my eldest (RH) dd to my (RH) dh. I just thought it would be easier for him to model, I use a weird grip/slant, and it was an easy excuse to get him involved. :D I liked handing over that piece and it gave him a 10min daily interaction with her as a homeschooler.

I think it's unfair to be too hard on RH parents, though. Being a leftie means I've had to deal with the BS and adaptation, so btdt and know it'll be less of an issue with my RH'r. For me growing up LH at times it was a serious PITA, usually when a teacher was just clueless or school room LH-unfriendly (college). If a person is RH, a LH child can seem perplexing. Most of the posts I read as just concerned parents wanting to know what was/wasn't an issue since they were aware it was outside their experience, rather than they're being "stressed".

I guess I don't see anything wrong with a parent being concerned and asking the questions, even if the answer is to relax and let the child lead/adapt. In fact, I see a lot RIGHT with that approach and wish more of my elementary teachers stopped a moment and cared enough to ask someone!

Edited by ChandlerMom

I think "stress" is too strong (and loaded) of a word. I don't stress about my kids handedness. But I am *aware* of challenges to teaching both R and L handed.

I did decide to leave handwriting of my eldest (RH) dd to my (RH) dh. I just thought it would be easier for him to model, I use a weird grip/slant, and it was an easy excuse to get him involved. :D I liked handing over that piece and it gave him a 10min daily interaction with her as a homeschooler.

I think it's unfair to be too hard on RH parents, though. Being a leftie means I've had to deal with the BS and adaptation, so btdt and know it'll be less of an issue with my RH'r. For me growing up LH at times it was a serious PITA, usually when a teacher was just clueless or school room LH-unfriendly (college). If a person is RH, a LH child can seem perplexing. Most of the posts I read as just concerned parents wanting to know what was/wasn't an issue since they were aware it was outside their experience, rather than they're being "stressed".

I guess I don't see anything wrong with a parent being concerned and asking the questions, even if the answer is to relax and let the child lead/adapt. In fact, I see a lot RIGHT with that approach and wish more of my elementary teachers stopped a moment and cared enough to ask someone!

:iagree: