Menu

((sigh)) Child just decided to cut an electrical cord with scissors....

Brilliant. Really. It was. Lots of lights and flashes and a big kaboom. :eek: He cut the cord of his oscillating fan, apparently just purely for the kicks (and partly I'm sure because he had no idea what would happen). The same darling who, at 6 years old, has decided that after about a three year "clean streak" it's time to resurrect the public temper tantrum and employ it on every outing. :banghead:

I love this child but sheesh... is he ever giving me a run for my money! :willy_nilly:

My ds also cut the cord on his oscillating fan last fall. Thankfully it wasn't plugged in at the time. I just keep consoling myself that he will be a wonderful inventor or builder someday the day he likes to demolish all we own.:glare: Who knows after writing that sentence maybe he'd do better in the demolition business!

My ds also cut the cord on his oscillating fan last fall. Thankfully it wasn't plugged in at the time. I just keep consoling myself that he will be a wonderful inventor or builder someday the day he likes to demolish all we own.:glare: Who knows after writing that sentence maybe he'd do better in the demolition business!

LOL Ours wants to be in construction (I know he's only six but I think he might already be onto something!) While he *is* really great at DEstruction right now, his favorite form of play involves hammering things together in the backyard. Today he told dad how simple it would be to build shelves for the garage... he then went on to give us a step by step verbal blueprint of his plans! :lol:

Thankfully it did scare the crap out of him. surpris_37-1.gif I really don't think he had any idea how dangerous it was... though I know he knew that he was being mischievous. He was of coures supposed to be getting ready for bed. rolleyes.gif

How scary!

Have you thought of a box of odds and ends of electrical appliances (with no cords!) to let him experiment? If dad thinks one of his experiments may be safe and good, he could even re-wire a cord? That is what we did with our son because he was so determined to get into things. He really got into his work and it was awhile before it crossed his mind that we could rewire the cord and make something work (we didn't tell him before that or else HE probably would have tried).

Challenging kiddos can be such fun. I really think they are better in a lot of ways.

BTW, many kids have a growth spurt emotionally and have a time of acting up about this time in your kiddo's life. We found that at those times, we needed to re-evaluate our parenting just slightly to adjust for maturity. Many times parents don't want to give a kid more opportunity and responsibility because they aren't showing able to handle it but many times kids will step up to the plate if mom and dad try it out.

One of my 5 yr old twins (Thing One, if you are curious...he has that name for a reason!) actually BIT through an electrical cord this week. He had the entire outside removed and was working into the wire itself when DH caught him and ripped it out of his mouth just in time! :eek: He'd begun to sever through the wire casing...teeth marks are there to prove it. In case you are wondering what brillant thought was crossing his mind at the time, I'd just say this: video games are an evil thing, and may soon be removed from my home in their entirety! :leaving:

I'm so glad your son is okay. Geez, what is it about boys? I swear they are trying to put me into an early grave...and if they weren't so cute, they'd be right there with me! :banghead:

Jennifer

heck, my dh sawed right thru his power saw cord a few months ago. Again. But he fixed it himself :D

A friend of mine brilliantly decorated his bushes w/ christmas lights then tried to trim them.....

Tim the Toolman is alive and well, in both short versions and tall, lol.

In his case, he was not trying to cut the cord. He was actually, very obediently vacuuming the living room rug.

From the kitchen I heard a zing and loud knock, and the vacuum stopped. I went into the living room and asked ds what happened. He said he was just vacuuming, and the cord was stuck and when he pulled the vacuum there was a "blue light" (in describing the blue light he point in a clear arc) and then the vacuum stopped.

I could smell burning.

When I saw the broken cord and realized what happened I had to cover ds with kisses and started babbling at God, thanking Him for keeping ds safe.

Glad your little one is okay.

This is the child who needed a physics discussion to accept that seatbelts really are necessary - he was quite docile about *using* his before that, but he was always irked by it... felt we were being illogical and unreasonable. His drive to understand how things work has been there since he was born - and can make him the most satisfying of students... but he scares the daylights out of me sometimes.

I can so relate to this... My son will NOT obey unless he knows WHY something needs to be done even if it is for safety and it frustrates me no end that sometimes I don't have time to explain the why at that moment. Case in point, his wilderness school teacher asked him not to climb on an upturned canoe... concerned it would flip them into the pond as it was unstable. My son IMMEDIATELY climbed up. The reason- he didn't know why she said not to! :blink: We are constantly explaining that if he wants to know why he can ask but he must obey regardless.

Perhaps I really wanted dull, unimaginative, unintelligent, unquestioning children... children who don't think for themselves. Or perhaps just children who didn't inherit their parents' tenacity, volubility, and independence ... No, I guess not, but it sounded nice for a minute there!

I have always said it would be a whole lot easier to raise dumb kids... and dh always reminds me it would be boring.

BTW my son, when he was about 3 took the HAIR scissors and cut the cord on the hair clippers! Needless to say both were ruined and had to be replaced. Thankfully the clippers were not plugged in.

My dd cut the cord to her brother's bedside clock with a pair of scissors. It just happened to be a pair with rubber-coated handles (thank God!). It actually blew the circuit breaker for half of our house, and welded the scissors to the cord. Yikes! :eek:

She was ok, the clock was terminal...