Menu

Would you let your daughter wear this to homecoming?

Would you let your high school dd wear this to homecoming?  

1. 1. Would you let your high school dd wear this to homecoming?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Other: yes if it fit slightly longer or as another poster suggested with dance shorts underneath. I does not strike me as lingerie at all; it looks sweet and age-appropriate, just too short to move in without a little extra coverage underneath.

I am assuming this is the 17 yo?

I highly doubt you'll be telling her what to wear next year....

Anyway - models are usually a LOT taller than a normal person, I doubt the dress would be as short on her anyway.

I would certainly warn her that she needs to plan on wearing kickpants unless she is standing perfectly still all night - just in case.

I am assuming this is the 17 yo?

I highly doubt you'll be telling her what to wear next year....

I don't tell her what to wear now. But as long as she lives in my house -and if I'm buying the clothes- I have veto power.

I don't tell her what to wear now. But as long as she lives in my house -and if I'm buying the clothes- I have veto power.

This does indeed get trickier when they start buying their own clothes. My oldest bought some shorts recently (from the thrift store) that I completely detested. Oh they were modest but they were the ugliest things I ever laid eyes on. I can only resort to teasing her mercilessly about them, as do all her friends. But I think that only adds to the appeal for her. :tongue_smilie:

I love that dress in the green color, but my dds are 5'9ish, pushing 5'10". It just wouldn't work for them. And I wore tons of strapless dresses to dances (and all day long at vocal jazz competitions) in the eighties, and I never had a problem "falling out" and my dress never fell down and I didn't have to tug or fiddle or anything.

I would let her try it on first. Models have very long thighs and as we all know, nothing really looks the same on real people as it does in a magazine. So, what looks like it's horribly short may not be short at all.

bolded: then you ARE telling her what she can or can't wear.

would you "allow" her to wear it if she bought it herself?

Refusing to buy something that I think is inappropriate is not the same as telling her what to wear.

She can't afford to buy it herself so thankfully I don't have to deal with that issue.

Edited by Perry

Refusing to buy something that I think is inappropriate is not the same as telling her what to wear.

She can't afford to buy it herself so thankfully I don't have to deal with that issue.

I was talking about the "as long as she lives in my house" part.

You totally ducked my question. :p

[which is fine]

FTR, I was a 'yes' vote -- I think it's pretty. :D

(wish i had the body to pull it off myself!)

(umm and somewhere to wear it…other than the grocery store… LOL)

I was talking about the "as long as she lives in my house" part.

You totally ducked my question. :p

I have, very rarely, told her she couldn't wear something. Even if she bought it with her own money. I'm not a prude, and I don't want to micromanage my kids. Unfortunately, sometimes her judgment leaves a lot to be desired.

Of course I realize I have no power over her bad decisions once she leaves.

I voted "Other" because, while I think it would be longer on a normal person and I don't have a problem with the dress - Homecoming here is COLD and DD17 would have to wear it with a sweater and tights just to get to and from the car.... And with DD17's build I would probably be sewing on purple ribbon straps just to hold the top up properly.... Too much work for that dress IMODD10 on the other hand loved it and recommended a pair of nice fairy wings to go with it....

I would try it on before buying.

I have no problems with strapless or above the knee, but I'd have her try sitting down, bending down, moving around, dancing a little BEFORE purchasing. Different dresses fit different body types. That particular dress would be cute for a slender/short girl. On a busty girl, the detail on the top would look just "too much." On a really tall girl, all you would see is leg.

fwiw - I would take her to a nice dress shop and ask her to try on a whole bunch of dresses in different styles to see what she thinks looks nice *on her.* Make a fun day of it, and then let her choose.

I voted Yes.

I would have to see it on. The model pictures often look so different from what the dress actually looks like on that I would reserve judgment until I saw it in person.

I agree. I would guess that, that model is at least 9 inches taller than my DD will ever be. (I am 5'0" and DD is on track to be about the same)

I voted yes because I would allow my dd to wear something like this to homecoming.

But, that particular dress is one I know she wouldn't choose - she doesn't like strapless because she is busty and she likes to really dance at parties/dances. She also ALWAYS wears compression shorts or dance shorts under her dresses. So, I know she won't go shorter than about 1/2 way to her knees and that things are covered if she accidently moves the wrong way. She does have long legs.

We've had a year of multiple dances and sweet 16 parties with lots of different dresses. I'm sure many here would consider what my dd wears immodest but I've been fine with her selections.

I chose yes...but it would really come down to how the dress actually fit HER. I don't have an issue with strapless dresses. I don't have an issue with cocktail-length dresses. I would have my dd try it on and then see if she could dance comfortably in the dress without wardrobe malfunctions :lol:.

A pretty dress is not very much fun, if you have to spend the evening hoisting it up and holding it down. Proper fit is everything.

My older daughter wouldn't wear a dress like that, simply because it would not fit her shape well. My middle daughter would look stunning in something like that.

I voted yes. If my dd really wanted to wear it, I would let her.

I think it's very pretty. Yes, rather short, but I would let her wear it anyway if she wanted to.

That said...dd knows I'm very honest with my opinions. We've been dress shopping several times along with regular clothing shopping together. I am always nice about it, but I will give her my thoughts if I feel something doesn't fit her body type well or even if it doesn't seem to be a good color on her. She would definitely take my opinion into consideration if I told her it wasn't a good choice.