Menu

Background music?

Yes, we play early classical music. It helps them concentrate. Sometimes my ds #1 wants something more lively so we play later classical or Irish music. Whatever you choose to play, make sure there are no words. Words are distracting and break concentration.

Denise

all kids are different, and what helps them varies. My oldest claimed she could only do math if she was listening to Pirates of Penzance. considering how she did in math (calculus was easy for her) I certainly wasn't going to object . . . . .:lol:

If we can ever get things settle around here:tongue_smilie:, I want to try music playing in the background with my youngest in hopes it will help him focus.

It'll depend on your child(ren), but DS seems to do better with something on in the background.....I did when I was a kid (still feel I concentrate more when I have music on and need to focus on something), my DH is the same way. On the other hand, my FIL can't focus if there is any noise/distraction when he's trying to write or read, never has. So it's really an individual thing.

I think it does depend on the person. I did much better studying with certain types of music as do 2 of my boys. My oldest, however, needs quiet. He will often work in his room so that he doesn't have any distractions.

When I have a bit longer, I'll pull out my Mozart Effect book and let you know what some of the research has actually shown. It's quite fascinating.

Each child is allowed to choose their own music and I don't play it for all to hear because some don't want any. lol I try to pay attention to whether or not they're getting distracted and we've gotten into a good routine. None listen to classical music during school. (We do FOR school, though. LOL)

Actually, studies have shown Baroque music to be the best background music for studying. It enhances spatial reasoning, attentiveness, and concentration.

Yes, baroque is excellent (tomatis uses mozart concerti and gregorian chants) - but one daughter preferred Pirates of Penzance. considering she excelled in math (with crappy teachers) and science (and everything else), I wasn't going to make her change.

When I have a bit longer, I'll pull out my Mozart Effect book and let you know what some of the research has actually shown. It's quite fascinating.

does that have any of the work by Alfred Tomatis? His work was quite fascinating as well.

does that have any of the work by Alfred Tomatis? His work was quite fascinating as well.

Yes, it does include quite a bit of his work. Another interesting book is "This is Your Brain on Music."

All that said, both books do have some glaring musical errors, but do show some fascinating research on the way music affects the brain.

I would love to, but I have a son who had major auditory sensitivities. Music drove him batty. We got out of the habit. Now, he just hates classical. I think I will instill classical lunch hour, though. We have a Teaching Company course on classical music that I want to use this year.

ETA: I agree with previous posters that it depends on the person. I have friends who are trained musicians who cannot have music on when they are doing other things. They find themselves listening intently and analyzing the music instead of what they are trying to do.

Our house is very quiet, which I like, BUT, it does make it hard to transition to the outside world. I struggle more with noisy environments and need more time to decompress when I have had to spend a lot of time filtering auditory distractions.

Edited by dirty ethel rackham

If you want to experiment with different types of music, try the Live365 website on your computer. You select the category of music, choose a station and then listen. It's free. That way, you can try different types of music.

There are ads once in a while, just like a radio station but not as bad.

Denise

We have not had background music during school hours, but I have been thinking about it. I will probably give it a try when school starts again. Maybe a mix of classical and Christian.