Menu

One sinister girl picture...

two different homeschool publications.

HEM and Abeka

So who had the picture first? Also, HEM is often so unschooly and Abeka is so - not, right? Not that that should mean they have different types of photos on their materials, just seems weird that they're sharing with each other - or it's somehow public domain??

I realize this isn't really important, but if anyone can clear this up for me, I'm interested.

About the thread title - dh and I just thought that picture makes the girl look like a little villain. We had a laugh about it when HEM came in the mail. Then when I saw the picture is making the rounds I thought it was even funnier.

It's probably a stock photo... meaning it's available to purchase publicly. Each company purchased specific rights to use it on a specific publication (a non-exclusive usuage)

Oh, that makes sense, but it's a little disappointing. I like to think all the photos used on homeschooling magazines are of homeschoolers.

Oh, that makes sense, but it's a little disappointing. I like to think all the photos used on homeschooling magazines are of homeschoolers.

I submitted some photos to HEM in 2007, thinking there was a chance any of them could get on the cover. Seriously, they were great. Anyway, they said... oh no, we wish we were able to get enough high quality photos for our covers, but we use a photo service... seriously? Mine were excellent, totally homeschooly and way better than many of their covers. I would have been much cheaper as well. ;)

Maybe they have a contract with a stock photo company?

Guest Dulcimeramy
Yep, I'd guess they just made the same unfortunate choice in stock photos.

That little girl is cute, but yeah, she looks like she's thinking someone into the cornfield.

:lol:

Huh. That's sort of...disappointing lol. I always kind of assumed they would be actual homeschooled kids with pictures taken by parents or magazine staff or something. Who knew they'd "buy stock pictures" to put on the cover of homeschooling magazines?! Somehow that seems kind of stupid to me!

She *is* a little Children of the Corn expression-wise!

I've worked for a number of magazines, and you would be surprised how difficult it is to make casual photos (like the ones parents or magazine staffers might take) work even inside a magazine, much less on the cover. It seems like an obvious solution to use submitted photos, but small issues (like poor lighting, color problems, background "noise," etc.) are 1,000 times more obvious on a cover than in a regular photo. Buying stock photos is a lot cheaper than setting up a photo shoot, which can cost upwards of $1,500. Of course, the benefit is that you know your photo won't end up on 20 other magazine covers. :)

It probably has far more to do with the resolution of the photos. For a cover, the jpeg of the file would need to be between 2-3MB. So it is not enough for the photo to be "good", it would have to also be of very high resolution as well as a very large photo, taken with a professional quality camera.

By the time you factor in the work time needed to make a shot publishable by lightening the background, getting rid of odd shadows, and any other work needed; it is FAR less expensive to use a stock photo.

You know, I never noticed anything sinister-looking in this picture. Unfortunately there is always a risk, when using stock photography, that a picture will show up elsewhere. Exclusive rights are very expensive. I doubt very much that a small homeschool magazine would ever have the funds to buy an exclusive-rights image though. And because I love the magazine so much, it doesn't bother me. I don't buy for the cover image, but for the amazing content inside.

My exciting news - the July/August cover of HEM WILL have a picture of a homeschooled boy, taken by a homeschooling mom (me!) Needless to say I've been checking my mailbox DAILY, anxiously awaiting its arrival!!

Edited by tammyw